Little tank w/shrimp & crabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little tank w/shrimp & crabs

I haven't had an aquarium for a long, long time, but, lately, I've been looking at freshwater shrimp, Tai micro crabs, and mossy freshwater plants - particularly moss balls (Marimo moss balls). In fact, these cool little moss balls are what got may attention.

I think I'll set up a little fiver...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Little tank w/shrimp & crabs

I like watching fish... but their habitat is so hard to maintain. It's just not one of my strong points.

Take photos though if/when you set this up! I still love marine life. ^^

Comment

If I were to get any sorry of tank is be something like this I think: http://www.windandweather.com/mobi/medium-sphere.htm
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        If I were to get any sorry of tank is be something like this I think: http://www.windandweather.com/mobi/medium-sphere.htm
        I've seen those before - they are very cool!

I have something more elaborate and time consuming in mind, though...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I ordered some equipment - a sponge filter, the gravel, a chunk of driftwood. It should come on Monday. Then, I can set up the tank, let it run for a while, and order the plants, let it run for a while, then get the critters...

Comment

Hooray for critters. ^^

Comment

Pics when its done! I love aquatic life, I wish I could breathe underwater!

Comment

My Marimo Moss Balls and a gob of Flame Moss came in the mail today. Right now, they are just floating in the aquarium, but later I'll start aqua-scaping.

What I need to do is break the gob of moss up, and use super glue to attach chunks to the rocks (super glue is aquarium safe. It was developed based on the substance barnacles use to attach themselves to stuff). Once it starts growing, it will self-attach and spread...

Then, it's critter time!

Comment

Yay critters!

Comment

Got the plants in - it doesn't look too neat yet because the moss hasn't oriented itself to the light yet, but you get the idea...

And here is a close-up of the "moss balls:"

They aren't actually moss - they are a type of algae (Chladophora aegagropila) that grows in balls like this and - in their native habitat (Japan and Northern Europe) - roll around in the shallow water. They are now protected in their homelands but, since they are easy to grow and propagate, they are readily available from aquarium suppliers.

These are actually HUGE specimens - about 2 inches round. Technically, I could cut them in half...

I really like these. They're like green tribbles.

I'll let the tank run for a month or so with the plants, then get the shrimp.

Comment

Ah, this looks beautiful so far! The moss balls are gorgeous!
                      I actually kept a fishtank for a very long while, I had platys. They lived to be over a year old each ^^

I want to see more pictures when you get the shrimp!
                      Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

The tank of tribbles! Love it.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

*wants aquatic green tribbles*

That is awesome Corbin!!
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Jembru prolly knows about these - they are a HUGE thing in Japan. Do an image search for "marimo moss balls" and you'll see what I mean. Or looky here: Is That A Marimo In Your Pants Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

(Yeah, that's a creepy title, but fads & fashions in Japan are so odd to me with my US sensibilities)

The little shrimp are also "an Asian thing" that is catching on in the US. There are bright color varieties (cherry red, dandelion yellow, cosmic blue, neon green) that have been selectively bred, mostly in Asia, from wild brownish shrimp.

P.S. - if you want to see the kind of thing that got me fired up to play with aquariums again, do an image search for "aquascaping." I am just an egg, but the things people are doing who are seriously into this obscure art form is way, way beyond amazing. I absolutely guarantee that you will be blown away!

Comment

Cuuuute! Sorry about my one-word forum spamming. My brain is off, my nerves are on high alert, and my painkillers are combating the migraine. ^^ But still cute!

Comment

Working...
                              X