Have you seen a God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you seen a God?

This is my first post since my intro a week or so back. In my old home I had an area in my backyard that I considered my Pagan altar. I wasn't clear on what I intended to do with it, as I wasn't clear on what I truly believed, or what I wanted to accomplish. We got a bigger house two years ago which has a lot of landscaping in the back. I kind of hated leaving the old place because of the altar I had built up, it wasn't something I could move with me. (Although I did bring one special rock). Just lately I got interested in the idea of the Gallo-Roman religion. Basically worshiping the Roman pantheon, with a Gallic influence. This is a new evolving idea, but it excited me. At this time I found the perfect place for my new altar in my backyard. I don't know why I hadn't noticed the lay-out, the large boulders, the trees...It's like I just suddenly looked at my backyard with new eyes & saw what I needed to do.
    Last weekend I bought the stuff I needed & was wheel barreling it around the side of my house to get started. I was intent on my work, not particularly thinking about anything religious. As I pushed my wheel barrel around the side of my house I saw a figure standing on one of my back decks. The deck is about 6 foot off the ground with a large oak tree growing through the middle of it. A tall figure in blue & white robes with longish brown hair w/beard was standing in front of the oak tree. I think this figure had a crown, but I'm not sure about that. I looked at it for just a second & it was gone. I wasn't startled at all by what I saw. I took it to be a sign that I was on the right path. I cannot say who this being was, but I'm sure it was one of the Gods. It's probably not necessary to say this, but I will anyway. I don't have a wild imagination, I don't see ghosts or spirits. This was an unusual thing for me, but as I said I wasn't the least startled. Advice or comments would be welcome...Borgia

Re: Have you seen a God?

Borgia, I can't tell you what it is or what it isn't, because I don't even know when these kinds of things happen to me.

But, you have some choices - you can decide it was your imagination and it was meaningless, or that it was your imagination and it was meaningful, or that it was a supernatural and meaningless, or that it was a supernatural and meaningful.

Whichever you choose, it will change you.

It doesn't matter which you choose, but choose wisely anyway

(Personally, I think running one of the experiments where it isn't dismissed as "meaningless" makes for a more interesting experience)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If it was a god then personally i'd expect to see a number of things over the next few days to weeks or months that connect to him and remind you of him. Perhaps even filling in blanks as to who he might have been.

To answer your question though I've seen mirage style looking images that I took to be a god or goddess. As I expressed above usually followed by many dreams, synchronous type events and other things that gave me clues to who the entity was and their identification. Some being pretty vocal about revealing all of it, one in specific being very secretive and even today I can not tell you any name he has used to identify himself as. In real life though I've only had one experience way back in my youth that one might say was an out and out divine encounter. I've recounted it before but basically as a young teen on a mountain trail coming face to face with a deer. Standing there staring at each other and hearing a woman's voice tell me "I am Artemis and you are mine!" To this day I can not tell you if I actually heard the words spoken out loud or if it was all in my head that I heard it. Being male and having no idea of who Artemis was at the time made it that much stranger as I researched who this Artemis was that spoke to me through that deer.

Over the years since that occurred and the gods and / or goddesses I am blood bound to have done things which sort of make me think they watch in some capacity. It's like with Artemis i've had periods where I asked of her and then i'd see a deer walk into a field before me or see some bear appear from the side of the road or even in the orchard. Hekate where it would be deathly quiet when all of a sudden a hound would bark and the sound would come echoing down the valley yet by the sound you knew it wasn't one of the regular dogs in our area. So never a formal person in front of you but things you associated with them and abnormal to how creature's acted normally in the area.

I will add though that gods and goddesses are not the only entities that one may encounter and have take a human like form. There are land spirits, water spirits, semi-divine entities and others that can and do appear to us as well. Even our own human ancestors that at times can appear before us in the form of various ghostly type figures. By our own I refer to humanity in general not just ones blood lineage.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I've seen them in dreams and visions, and have heard their voices occasionally telling me what to do, encouraging me, or reassuring me. When that happened, there wasn't really anything that said "THIS IS A GOD SPEAKING TO YOU," I just sort of ... KNEW, if that makes sense. Usually it's a good idea to "go with your gut" so to speak with these things. So I'd say if you think what you saw was a god watching over you, then it probably was. As for which one, I can't say. You should pay close attention to symbolism and see if any kind of patterns emerge, maybe that could point toward which god it was. If the god who is trying to communicate with you is associated with any specific animal, and you start seeing a lot of those around, that's usually a pretty clear sign. Artemis has done this with me several times, using deer.

Congratulations, and good luck figuring it out!

Comment

I appreciate all of your responses. As Monsno_Leedra suggested, it has occurred to me that this was some form of lesser being, a spirit of some sort. I have started to associate this being with the big oak tree that grows through my deck. It's gnarly & old looking. Has a lot of character, I guess you could say. I'll let you know if anything else occurs....Borgia

Comment

I've only truly experienced "face to face" type sightings of deities in dreams and the like, but there are two points mentioned by Monsno_Leedra that I could comment on as well. The first is the idea of being "looked in on" or being given a sign that they are about and are listening. It is a regular experience for me that any time I do some runeworking or even at times when I haven't done anything at all for a long while, I'll get a reminder in the form of a handful of very large crows. The other point is that relating to other things that can take human form. Both here where I live now and at the house where I grew up, I've occasionally caught sight of the same "ghostly" figures that are there one moment and gone the next.

Comment

Working...
            X