"Effeminacy" In World Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Effeminacy" In World Religion

I've been trying to find information about the role of "effeminate" men in world religions. Not third sex, two-spirit, trans* or other such identities. I'm talking about males who behave in a fashion society considers "feminine" but would otherwise identify as a cismale. It seems there's much said about androgynous figures in religion and a number of the above mentioned identities, but almost nothing about cismen who express in a feminine. Fashion. Being a crossdresser myself I've been scouring the internet looking for information about social statuses, roles, societies secular or religious, this is something of interest to me. I've come across figures that have traits one might consider feminine but few if any one would could consider outright "effeminate". Is there anything I've missed out there?

Re: "Effeminacy" In World Religion

First thing that comes to my mind is Taoism.

But also: words like androgynous (and especially 'androgynous': sometimes it seems that it is used about any kind of gender identity/expression/role outside of the male-female dichotomy) have been used to describe a really wide variety of phenomena, not just a gender identity. I guess language sometimes gets a bit hazy when it comes to gender and things related.
    baah.

Comment

Working...
    X