Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with charms and physical magic when the spell is finished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with charms and physical magic when the spell is finished?

I have been drawn to physical and candle magic lately and feel I get a lot out of it. Usually, I leave the charm or candle stub on my altar for awhile, but there comes a time when it needs to go. What do you all usually do with your stuff? I buried one candle spell in my back yard, but I have an attraction charm on my altar right now and I need to know how to get rid of it without letting go of the magic.

Thanks for the info! Just curious about how you all handle this

Re: What to do with charms and physical magic when the spell is finished?

That is a good question.

I now have a bag of ribbon braids that I have used for prayers for others. I also have a nice sized box of used candle blobs and empty tealight holders. I always mean to remelt and reuse, but never seem to get around to it.

As for the charms, I often give these to others for protection, and as far as I know , they all still hold on to them.

I would say that any natural bits like herbs and stones could be buried in a sacred spot and still keep the spell alive.

What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

This is an awesome question, thanks for posting it.

For me, if its a candle, I'm never convinced that the magic is done until I've used the whole thing. Then, at that point, I either chuck it r save it in a miscellaneous bag of other wax bits that I use to seal envelopes, melt onto my hand (for color magic) or whatever other uses I can think of.

As for leftover trinkets, I sew them into little bags and hang them from trees. Instead of burying them, I'd rather give them to the wind so that every time the wind passes it, it takes a bit of the prayer/magic/whatever with it.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I sort of just nullify its purpose and re-purpose the object, depending on what the object is. Stuff like herbs or cloth or paper materials can be burned or composted...things that are metal, stone, etc can be cleansed and reused...for candles I save the wax and melt it down into new candles.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1192.msg22078#msg22078 date=1292277007]
          I sort of just nullify its purpose and re-purpose the object, depending on what the object is. Stuff like herbs or cloth or paper materials can be burned or composted...things that are metal, stone, etc can be cleansed and reused...for candles I save the wax and melt it down into new candles.
          [/quote]

Same.

Comment

Reduce. Re-use. Recycle.

XD
            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

The traditional methods are burning, burying in salt or casting into fast flowing water. Once a spell is done, it's done.
              If it's something more elaborate, like a poppet or doll then bless it, thank it and dispose of it as above.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've been storing leftover flammables (paper, wax, organics) on my altar until the next sabbat bonfire and tossing them in with thanks during post-ritual hangout. Things that compost I bury in my garden. I feel like the spell happens through and not because of the object, so it's ok to dispose of it--respectfully, because of residual energies from ritual sanctification. I had a similar thread on the old Forum about my growing collection of metal tealight hulls though! Haven't figured out how to repurpose them except to buy supplies and make new candles, which so far has been too time-consuming and expensive to happen.

Comment

I bury most things, like melted wax and spent candles, paper talismans, sachets and such. Stray herbs I will toss to the ground, telling it to go back from whence it came. Things that can be reused like knives and whatnot I'll cleanse and reuse.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                  X