Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most ridiculous thing anyone's ever said to you about your religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most ridiculous thing anyone's ever said to you about your religion?

I thought this might be quite funny. Post the strangest, most rude, or most laughable thing that anyone's ever said to you about your religion!

Here's mine.

This was a note someone on Deviantart sent to me when she saw me having a conversation with my friend about how I was uncomfortable with Christianity and was considering paganism.

"As you're figuring things out, I want to urge you to seek after truth rather than what might seem the most attractive or fulfilling type of spirituality. I know I certainly don't like or understand everything about Christianity, but I serve Jesus because I sincerely believe that the Bible holds truth and other religions do not. Again, I apologize for butting in like this, I'm only concerned about a fellow sister in Christ."

And then, when I responded saying I appreciated her concern, I would choose my own path. This was her answer:
    "Remember that Satan is a liar and twister of what is good, and he would love nothing better than to bring you down with him"

I'm laughing because I don't know this person. I've never spoken to them. They were wandering around DA and found my conversation, and took the time to write (Actually more than this, I cut out some because it was long winded) this to someone they don't even know, and at the time, I wasn't even a pagan, I was just considering it!

I appreciate your concern honey, but I like my life a lot better now, thanks.

Note this doesn't have to be something a Christian said to you, it just so happened mine was.

Can't wait to see your examples!
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Most ridiculous thing anyone's ever said to you about your religion?

Truthfully the most idiotic or ridiculous things I tend to hear come from other pagans vice Christians. Especially regarding the three fold law and how I'm going to their version of hell for ignoring it or how I am not a true pagan. Actually rather funny most of the time.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

This happened months ago. I live in an apartment building for disabled adults, so I have to wait for a nurse to give me my pills. While I was waiting, I was giving one of my neighbors a tarot reading because we were both bored. I have a pentacle necklace that I put a protection spell on, so I never take it off. This woman saw me doing the whole tarot thing and seemed horrified. When she saw my necklace, it got worse. She told me that it was a symbol of the devil and that my reading tarot cards was a tool of the devil and that I was going to go to hell. Going to hell my glorious fat butt! I don't even believe in it!
      "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

My experience was pretty similar to OP's. When I was in college many moons ago, I had met this really awesome girl, and we hit it off quite well. Things were really starting to happen, and then she happened to notice a staff that I had in my room carved with runes. That led to a conversation about religion, and at the end of the night, she gave me a big hug, a sweet kiss on the cheek and said in the most friendly and caring tone "Wow. You're such a great guy. Cute, funny, we get along so well. But it's just too bad that you're going to Hell." And I never saw or heard from her again.

Comment

When people see my inverted pentagram and think I'm Wiccan or Pagan.

As if. Stop insulting me.

*the reason I say this now is because this subject gets posted often enough for me to know the replies. Everyone mistakes their religion for being a Satanist. Because we are the scum of the Earth. So let's just get this out there right now. I don't like being told I am a Wiccan. I find that insulting.

carry on.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

*the reason I say this now is because this subject gets posted often enough for me to know the replies. Everyone mistakes their religion for being a Satanist. Because we are the scum of the Earth. So let's just get this out there right now. I don't like being told I am a Wiccan. I find that insulting.

carry on.
            See, I don't find anything wrong with Satanists.... that would be very hypocritical of me if I ask others to accept my own religion, would it not?
            What annoys me is people who wear symbols like Pentagrams and Ankhs without having any meaning to it. Just becuase they want people to think they're "bad" or something.

And I can understand your annoyance. I mean, if you called a Jew a Muslim, wouldn't they get mad? It's understandable.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            My experience was pretty similar to OP's. When I was in college many moons ago, I had met this really awesome girl, and we hit it off quite well. Things were really starting to happen, and then she happened to notice a staff that I had in my room carved with runes. That led to a conversation about religion, and at the end of the night, she gave me a big hug, a sweet kiss on the cheek and said in the most friendly and caring tone "Wow. You're such a great guy. Cute, funny, we get along so well. But it's just too bad that you're going to Hell." And I never saw or heard from her again.
            That's dumb. My friend is a Wiccan, and his boyfriend's an athiest. They love each other so much I practically get a cavity around them. I don't understand why people think people of different religions can't love each other. His boyfriend listens to all of his spells and everything, and likes to hear about the gods, even though he doesn't believe in it. I don't see why people can't look past religion -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gas Mask View Post
            This happened months ago. I live in an apartment building for disabled adults, so I have to wait for a nurse to give me my pills. While I was waiting, I was giving one of my neighbors a tarot reading because we were both bored. I have a pentacle necklace that I put a protection spell on, so I never take it off. This woman saw me doing the whole tarot thing and seemed horrified. When she saw my necklace, it got worse. She told me that it was a symbol of the devil and that my reading tarot cards was a tool of the devil and that I was going to go to hell. Going to hell my glorious fat butt! I don't even believe in it!
            Go to hell my glorious fat butt is my new favorite comeback.

Is "you're going to hell" the ONLY threat they have?
            And they should learn- don't assume. Just because someone is wearing an Ankh doesn't mean they're Kemetic, just like someone wearing a pentacle isn't necessarily Wiccan.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            Truthfully the most idiotic or ridiculous things I tend to hear come from other pagans vice Christians. Especially regarding the three fold law and how I'm going to their version of hell for ignoring it or how I am not a true pagan. Actually rather funny most of the time.
            Wow, really!? Strange. Most opposition I've had comes from Christians. The weird thing is, I've met Muslims, Jews, etc. and they're much less aggressive (at least in my experience) about paganism that Christians. Again, just my opinion!

Comment

I grew up in a Roman Catholic family and went to Catholic school until 6th grade. I wore a gold crucifix on a chain. In 7th grade a girl said I shouldn't wear that, and should wear a plain cross, and that Catholics weren't Christian. I went home and asked my mother if there were two different Jesuses or what. (Following/believing in/etc., Christ is the defining point of "Christian", so this girl's remarks made no sense to me.)
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
                And then, when I responded saying I appreciated her concern, I would choose my own path. This was her answer:
                "Remember that Satan is a liar and twister of what is good, and he would love nothing better than to bring you down with him"
                I can understand why someone who believes this, would feel they were doing the right thing to try to 'save' you. I just think that if there is a Satan (and I definitely believe in evil, so perhaps there is), then I truly think the most cunning thing he could do is to fool gullible people that they are following a righteous Christian path. Would that not explain a lot of these scary fundamental groups of all religions? 'I hate gays because Jesus does...' 'Er, no.. you hate them because you are the spawn of Satan you backwards tw*t!' The true test of a good Christian, should really be whether or not they can tell the difference between sermons that support the teachings of their beloved Christ, and the twisting of words in order to spread hate.

Yup.. Satan is probably real, and he's a bloomin' genius!
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

That it's a "phase", and once I'm "more mature I'll realize how ridiculous witchcraft really is". I'm 34. I wonder when I'll be considered "too old" to be a Pagan.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
                    Wow, really!? Strange. Most opposition I've had comes from Christians. The weird thing is, I've met Muslims, Jews, etc. and they're much less aggressive (at least in my experience) about paganism that Christians. Again, just my opinion!
                    Mileage varies. I've met some really idiotic Pagans, some really idiotic Christians, haven't personally come across an idiotic Muslim yet but I haven't met many Muslims. I don't normally feel a need to listen to the opinions of any of the above on my beliefs so I either talk about other things or present just enough to carry a conversation without opening up issues that I see no reason to discuss.

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    I grew up in a Roman Catholic family and went to Catholic school until 6th grade. I wore a gold crucifix on a chain. In 7th grade a girl said I shouldn't wear that, and should wear a plain cross, and that Catholics weren't Christian. I went home and asked my mother if there were two different Jesuses or what. (Following/believing in/etc., Christ is the defining point of "Christian", so this girl's remarks made no sense to me.)
                    Blegh, I increasingly dislike this meme on a variety of levels.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

carry on.
                      Admit it.. you're a second degree Gardnarian.. go on... we won't judge you ^^

Anyway, I never answered. Well, I've never heard a silly comment about my religion that wasn't a genuine request for information or an honest misunderstanding, so I've nothing really. If we can pretend for a moment that veganism is a religion (it might be to some), someone in 6th form college once said to me, 'What do you mean you're a vegan? You mean you fly around at night and suck people's blood?' He was joking, but it really made me laugh and has stuck in my memory all this time.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

That I can't be a shaman because I'm not a male from x Mongolian tribe, or some such thing.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxxie View Post
                          That it's a "phase", and once I'm "more mature I'll realize how ridiculous witchcraft really is". I'm 34. I wonder when I'll be considered "too old" to be a Pagan.
                          Oh gods. I hate the phrase "just a phase." Once I basically told someone I trusted everything I hid from my parents- that I was a goth, that I was gay, that I wanted to practice paganism.
                          She simply said "It's all probably just a phase."

Yes. Becuase being attracted to females since 2nd grade, wanting to wear nothing but black since elementary school, and feeling called to the gods of Egypt since age five is definitely a phase.
                          Because of it I actually get really scared asking for advice or talking about any of the subjects because I've become paranoid people will tell me I'm too young and don't know what I want. Same thing happened when I joined the forum, until I found out there are a lot of people my age ^^;
                          In 20 years I'll be laughing hysterically because I'll still be sitting here in my black corset, with my girlfriend and a black cat, with an altar in the other room.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          That I can't be a shaman because I'm not a male from x Mongolian tribe, or some such thing.
                          Ick. I really hate it when people are like that. As in, you have to be this from this to practice that. It seems really elitist to me, I kinda compare it to the Slytherins treating Purebloods like they are better in Harry Potter (oh look a geek reference. This is not the last of them.)

Comment

Only real strange thing is someone said to me at work(when I still worked) "I did not know you were Jewish" looking at my Pent....
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              Only real strange thing is someone said to me at work(when I still worked) "I did not know you were Jewish" looking at my Pent....
                              They seriously thought it was a Jewish star.........
                              Gods. That's pretty funny actually xD
                              I find it funny when people get an Ankh and Tyet mixed up. They really look nothing alike. Now, Eye of Ra and Eye of Horus are easy symbols to mix up, half of the time I can't even tell the difference. But really.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              I can understand why someone who believes this, would feel they were doing the right thing to try to 'save' you. I just think that if there is a Satan (and I definitely believe in evil, so perhaps there is), then I truly think the most cunning thing he could do is to fool gullible people that they are following a righteous Christian path. Would that not explain a lot of these scary fundamental groups of all religions? 'I hate gays because Jesus does...' 'Er, no.. you hate them because you are the spawn of Satan you backwards tw*t!' The true test of a good Christian, should really be whether or not they can tell the difference between sermons that support the teachings of their beloved Christ, and the twisting of words in order to spread hate.

Yup.. Satan is probably real, and he's a bloomin' genius!
                              Ah, a fascinating (and frighteningly accurate) point you make!

Not really on the subject, but I found this comment amusing:
                              A friend of mine once asked me, "Margaret, if Satan is "evil", then why does he punish evil people? Aren't they like, his kind of people? Wouldn't he reward them for being evil?"
                              And honestly I still don't know how to answer that.

Comment

Working...
                              X