Golems and Homunculis and Tulpa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golems and Homunculis and Tulpa

I was watching frosty the snowman like every year I think golem, artificial creature usually humanoid made up of natural elements and haveing no free will. Homunculis are artificually created humans formed from a myriad of substances. Tulpa are artificial physical creatures formed purely through imagination and sheer willpower. To my knowledge golems are found in legends from around the world produced by all manner of magi usually with a carved or paper seal whist humunculis is produced through alchemy (not my best area byfar). I have intrests in thease creatures, procedures to create and controll them, uses and validity. Anyone who can answer and give info? I have also read stories of when homunculi being produced they are violent, destructive and virtually indistructable. I have intrest in produceing one of the above. Can we also see a biological standpoint on homunculi? Btw is there an ask an alchemest? thread I searched and got nothing.
    Circe

Re: Golems and Homunculis and Tulpa

please tell me you're not using Fullmetal Alchemist as your resource on Homunculi.... great tv series. the idea of a homunculus is more of a vessel with no soul i thought. one that would only need the soul to be complete.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

No im not, there iis legitamet stories but they got the basic idea.
      Circe

Comment

alchemy thread

Regarding the others, handle golems with care. The one legend I know for them had a golem crafted to defend a community go loopy after a while. While they're good, they're good. When they go bad, they go bat**** insane.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I remember we had a thread about this on ye olde forum.

Golems are from Jewish mysticism and involve the rabbi shaping a person from mud and bringing it to life by placing a scroll on its tongue. The scroll has a name of YHVH inscribed on it, or maybe it's 'life' or 'truth' or something. As a creature brought forth in the same manner as YHVH brought forth humankind, the Golem should technically be a spiritual creature seeking to become one with its holy source.

The rabbi who created the Golem, however, thinks the Golem should sweep the floors, clean the bathrooms, prepare dinner, run errands... eventually the rabbi forgets that he made the Golem in his own image and the more he denigrates the Golem, the more 'earthy' the Golem's nature becomes, until some dark and stormy night the rabbi orders the Golem to commit a truly heinous act like murder - and the Golem turns on its master, destroys him and returns to dust.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Interesting I thought golems were supposed to have no free will?
            Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=1225.msg23289#msg23289 date=1292686011]
              Interesting I thought golems were supposed to have no free will?
              [/quote]

That's probably what the wayward rabbi thought, too. Or even his 'as above' counterpart.

"Don't eat that fruit!"

"Aw, dammit, you ate the fruit!"

Comment

If the seal is removed from a golem it becomes the elements used to create it right? Can't golems be made out of nearly any substance?
                Circe

Comment

Perze has heard a different twist on the tale than I have. Either way though, handling a golem carelessly is bad judgement. Unlike their RPG counterparts, they can turn on you. The word of animation by the way is Truth if memory serves and altering that word to death (remove one letter) drops the creature.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Define carelessly please. Golems can be made in any shape out of anything?
                    Circe

Comment

the hebrew word for truth is spelled with the first middle and last letters of the hebrew alphabet. if you remove the first letter it becomes the word for death, in which you have taken from it the beginniing... the creator. so all that is left is death. a golem is a creation of man like man is the creation of god. less perfect than its creator.
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=1225.msg23295#msg23295 date=1292688576]
                        If the seal is removed from a golem it becomes the elements used to create it right? Can't golems be made out of nearly any substance?
                        [/quote]

Yes, from what I've understood, if the Golem loses its seal, or has it changed, it would return to dust. Sometimes the animating word is etched on the Golem's forehead - to 'kill' it, a letter or two is erased or changed. You probably could make a Golem out of anything - even robots are sometimes referred to as Golems - but I tell ya, if I see a meat golem wandering around in some news report, I'm going to be casting a disparaging eye in your direction.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=1225.msg23307#msg23307 date=1292691939]
                          Yes, from what I've understood, if the Golem loses its seal, or has it changed, it would return to dust. Sometimes the animating word is etched on the Golem's forehead - to 'kill' it, a letter or two is erased or changed. You probably could make a Golem out of anything - even robots are sometimes referred to as Golems - but I tell ya, if I see a meat golem wandering around in some news report, I'm going to be casting a disparaging eye in your direction.
                          [/quote]

Lol I was thinking candle wax carve the seal into its back, if it get unruly melt off the seal.
                          Circe

Comment

i was thinking of crafting the seal in a snowman... hmm if it creates a path of destruction the sun can do his work (or a snowball right on the seal...)
                            Please, just call me Ghost

I want to be like the moon. A lonely observator of earth, watching the people live, love and die

Knowledge destroys enemies, too much knowledge makes enemies ~Ghost~

It doesn't matter how you practice your magick. As long as the thought behind it is clear, it will work

Comment

[quote author=ghosthaunter link=topic=1225.msg23351#msg23351 date=1292703303]
                              i was thinking of crafting the seal in a snowman... hmm if it creates a path of destruction the sun can do his work (or a snowball right on the seal...)
                              [/quote]

That's almost, but not quite, as potentially devastating as thinking of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man at the exact wrong time.

Comment

Working...
                              X