Finding strength through religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding strength through religion

How do you do it? Or do you? It seems to be an important part of every religion, Pagan or not, to seek some kind of support from religion and spirituality and that is also something I find really interesting. Seems like some people can easily trust their life to a divinity of somekind or they might have Buddhist-inspired 'mind games' to steer their thinking towards a healthier/more spiritual/wholesome way of life.
    So I'd like to hear how you turn to your religion when life gets rough - or is it completely irrelevant for your path?
    baah.

Re: Finding strength through religion

Yes, I find strength through Kemetism. It's not always easy. Especially for depressed people who are disconnected from their spiritual side. Recently there was a huge change in my life - yesterday actually. Now I'm feeling a lot better. Now I understand I had a great push in order to feel better. I'm a bit slow when it comes to changes. I understand it was probably the Neteru's doing. Because without them, I wouldn't be here right now to write about this.
    Ever watched The Mummy Returns? If yes, remember Ardeth's reaction when the jackal army disappears and transforms into black sand? That's my reaction to the big change from yesterday. Only that I was screaming inside. Sorta. If you didn't - let's just say the gods to a lot without us noticing.
    I just know the Neteru will help me when needed. And of course when I ask and if I really NEED help. They often want us (mortals) to do things ourselves as much as possible.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I do get a lot of strength from it. I feel like when I'm away from my faith, I'm at the whims of Fate or other people's decisions. I feel like other forces have more control over my life than I do.

When I'm in touch, I feel like I am my own power. I can take control of myself. Either through spellcraft or through a personal connection with my patrons and the forces around me.

I couldn't explain why or how, but there is a deep spiritual stability I feel, like I get buffeted around without it. It's difficult to describe. When life gets to be too much, I take a moment to ground myself, take a deep breath and call on somebody, and the path seems to clear and I know what to do next.
      She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Awesome replies, Gleb and October!
        Seems like you both have some experiences I only have a faint idea of.

Originally posted by Gleb
        They often want us (mortals) to do things ourselves as much as possible.
        This reminds me of this story. (I have no idea what that website is, I just googled it because that story seems to have spread to many religions.)
        baah.

Comment

Oi.. Nare, our experiences differ. My experience doesn't make itself better than yours. So be proud of who you are and the path you walk!
          I'm familiar with the story of the drowning man. It's what I was talking about.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

*pressed accidentally the evil button that send this too soon*
            Last edited by Näre; 08 Sep 2015, 09:10.
            baah.

Comment

You know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                Oi.. Nare, our experiences differ. My experience doesn't make itself better than yours. So be proud of who you are and the path you walk!
                If I only had a path...
                I'm a lot like the drowning man in the story.
                Perhaps that is why I find this subject so interesting... but it is truly fascinating/inspiring how much trust people have in their paths (and themselves!). Much respect for such attitude!

Edit/ just a longer version of the thing i sent accidentally before... typing on a phone is not my thing :P
                baah.

Comment

Maybe it just hasn't presented itself to you yet :-)

We're all dead and adrift until we find what works for us. I was just lucky enough to find mine very early on.
                  She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Well, I can do things myself so I have no choice but to have a spiritual path that fits me. Sometimes I envy those who don't need a path to stay strong. They don't rely on it. I think they're mentally or spiritually stronger than me, at least (I won't say stronger than theists, no). For some people, spiritual path gives them something to live for. A purpose in life, maybe. Don't worry, you'll find what works for you. Like October said, your path hasn't presented itself to you.

Comment

Strength and comfort through spirituality to me is knowing that there are powers greater than me that can give their assistance so long as I don't just sit on the couch and expect miracle to happen. Comfort to me is knowing that I have the strength and will to use my wit prior to taking actions and bring about my goals.

I believe in the powers of my ancestral spirits; that they'd protect me when I face conflict and danger. This is strength and support. But in the same time, I won't blame them if I'm not "protected" when I throw myself on an incoming train, because that's just a plain stupidity on my part. I believe there are gods and goddesses who would assist me making the right decision to steer things for my best interest. But I won't expect a meal to materialize on my desk if I don't get the hell up off the couch and cook. This is comfort.

Gods and goddesses feel connection with demand action on our part. Reap what you sow, sow nothing, reap nothing.
                      I have the wit to find sources of motivation should I be lacking, to steer towards positive thinking, to observe, analyze and make appropriate decisions accordingly. To me, that's magick in its own right. I am strengthened and comforted by it. If I fail in my endeavors, then perhaps I wasn't doing something right... so, I reflect on previous point.

This reminds me of this story. (I have no idea what that website is, I just googled it because that story seems to have spread to many religions.)
                      This story illustrates very well the exact opposite of my spiritual mentality.

Comment

We humans are tribal animals. We seek comfort and encouragement through our group. Each of us has an individual spirituality. When we find others whose spirituality comes close to our own, we form or adopt a religion through which we can find comfort and support. A solitary practitioner can sometimes find support through other channels or from deity.
                        In my mind the potential (strength) of the individual comes from within and you work to justify that self faith through the acceptance of others. God and Goddess do not provide my strength. That is something I gained by succeeding more often than I failed. If, when you fail, you keep going until you succeed then you become stronger. It works the same way in the physical world. If you want more strength you lift more until you get strong enough to lift the weight you want. If you want to be able to run quicker or farther you run more until you can.
                        Gaining strength in your faith is the same. You have to push the limits to see what you are willing to believe and then keep working on it until your faith is strong enough to support you. Once you accept that you are a partner with deity in the creation of your future you will lose most of the limits that you have placed upon yourself.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          ...You have to push the limits to see what you are willing to believe...
                          "Willing to believe"?

I'm probably misunderstanding, but that just sounds soooo wrong...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                            Once you accept that you are a partner with deity in the creation of your future you will lose most of the limits that you have placed upon yourself.
                            Accept, as in see it as universal truth?
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I don't believe it is a universal truth or in my terminology a universal law because it has to be believed before it happens.
                              A universal law like the law of complements is true with or without your belief. (in case you or others are unfamiliar with it, the law of complements states that "opposites are complements of and necessary to the whole" light/dark, hot/cold, male/female. One can't exist without the other.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X