Christianity And Gay Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christianity And Gay Marriage

Do you think Christianity will accept gay marriage now it's legal in the United States?

Re: Christianity And Gay Marriage

Accept,perhaps not,but law is a bit more than belief...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Christianity, or Christians? There is a huge difference between the terminology...
      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

There is also a massive difference between what one Christian does and what another does.

Many Christians have long accepted gay marriage. There are Christians who are IN gay marriages.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          There is also a massive difference between what one Christian does and what another does.

Many Christians have long accepted gay marriage. There are Christians who are IN gay marriages.

Unlikely, but if I were ever to go back to being Christian, I would go back to the church of my childhood:

The UCC puts trying to be like Christ back into being Christian...
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

There are some Christian churches that have been performing same gender marriages for a long time.
            Having said that I doubt that the "conservative" Christian churches will perform same gender marriages any time soon.
            Either way it doesn't matter. They are finally legal and acknowledged by the state just like any other marriage.
            I have performed same gender marriages and handfastings as well as multiple couple handfastings. Where love is involved the only constraints should be mental capacity and age. Age limits are one of the variables that have no hard and fast rule that can be applied across the board. The state says that if one is below the age of 18 years that you must have permission and below the age of 16 you must get court approval. Those guidelines are fair in most situations when IQs are within the "normal" range but I have known a 14 year old girl who was more prepared for marriage than the adult she was dating. They did eventually get married when she turned 18. She is in total control of their relationship. (that bothers me just a bit as I see marriages as a partnership) At the same time I am the dominant in my marriage but in all matters other than religious my wife chooses to be submissive. when we enter circle she becomes the goddess and I become the god. We are partners of equal importance in circle. There are places where TPE has no place.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

That one is iffy I think. I actually read an interesting piece recently that legally may support Christian's and the anti-gay marriage aspect. Basically the premise was that the only federal statute that defined marriage was DOMA. Since the Supreme Court struck down DOMA and found aspects to be illegal there now is no Federal statute supporting or defining marriage now. As such it undid the aspect of DOMA that took control from the States regarding defining marriage. The Supreme Court can not create or pass laws it can only define whether they are constitutional the House and Senate are the only federal agencies that can create laws and no such revamped law has been created or passed. So by legal definition it is back in the hands of each state to determine what the laws pertaining to same gender marriage, or any marriage for that matter shall be.

So all the celebrations may actually be premature as no new law was written by the Legislature to make it federally recognized. The SCOTUS ruling simply stated and determined that the existing federal law was unconstitutional and thus that aspect removed.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work the way they think it does but reading a SCOTUS decision ranks right up there with closely examining the tax code on the list of things I'm happier not doing tonight.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that doesn't work the way they think it does but reading a SCOTUS decision ranks right up there with closely examining the tax code on the list of things I'm happier not doing tonight.
                  Oh I agree it's like reading a booklet of instructions. Yet the constitutional fact remains SCOTUS can not make or create a law that is reserved to the House of Representatives, the Senate and the President through executive orders. No such law was passed creating a federal level law which dictates how the states have to recognize marriages and those specific aspects of DOMA were found to be unconstitutional and therefor can not legally be the law of the land.

Comment

The supreme court ruling was that the RIGHT to marry extends to same gender couples. As a right, the states have no say in the matter.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                      The supreme court ruling was that the RIGHT to marry extends to same gender couples. As a right, the states have no say in the matter.
                      NO the SCOTUS ruling was that the wording of marriage being between a man and a woman was unconstitutional and denying the rights of same sex couples. By ruling it unconstitutional there is now no reading as to what makes a marriage couple in a federal statue. So it is left legally by the constitution to the states to decide. Until the law is voted upon by the House and the Senate to place a definition of the marital parties it is stripped from what is left of the DOMA law. As I stated SCOTUS can not pass or modify laws only determine if they are constitutional it is the Senate and House that create and pass laws.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        NO the SCOTUS ruling was that the wording of marriage being between a man and a woman was unconstitutional and denying the rights of same sex couples. By ruling it unconstitutional there is now no reading as to what makes a marriage couple in a federal statue. So it is left legally by the constitution to the states to decide. Until the law is voted upon by the House and the Senate to place a definition of the marital parties it is stripped from what is left of the DOMA law. As I stated SCOTUS can not pass or modify laws only determine if they are constitutional it is the Senate and House that create and pass laws.
                        You're aware that the decision against DOMA and the decision striking down state bans are different decisions right? You're treating them as the same and they aren't. The latter was built off a prior decision dealing with what certain clauses of the Constitution protect and the position that state bans violate rights protected by the 14th.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Yep aware of that but it doesn't change the fact SCOTUS is not able to write or create laws so any law or aspect of a law that is found to be unconstitutional is voided out along with any restrictions / limitations it had upon states rights and their ability to specify portions of laws not defined by federal statue. SCOTUS specifically hit the man and woman definition as being unconstitutional and restricting of individual rights. So as a law it is null and voided and can only be recreated by action in the House and Senate to modify and vote a new law to replace the voided aspect. Until that is done there is no federal statue defining what marriage is that is passed as a law of the land. With no such federal statue defining it the states are entitled to define it for themselves.

Comment

Oh hells, that was easier to find than I expected.

The really simplistic description of what the Court did is they went to a line in the 14th that I forgot about

" nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Then went to state bans on same sex marriage and said, "you aren't providing equal protection under the law. Stop. Right Now!"

No creation of new law necessary.

Now one might argue that this is an expansive use of that line but Congress is guilty of far worse and don't get me started on states so everyone can live with it.

Comment

Sorry but yes there is for definition of marriage is defined under the individual state since there is no federal authority defining it. It's one of the reason this current issue in Kentucky is being watched for the idea that marriage and recognition of marriage is up to the state right now. So the Kentucky issue is that no marriage certificates were being issued. DOMA being found unconstitutional has left it open as to what marriage is and actually to who it is applicable to.

Can't even say legally a person is being denied a right for there is no federally defining statue of what marriage is. Until there is a federal law that the state law is in opposition to its iffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X