Backyard Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard Magic

What herbs, plants, and other things do you have near your home that you use in your spell work (or other magical thingies)? Stores don't count!

I was thinking about this when I went to the beach. I picked up a few shells, and some acorns (of which there were approximately 3 million, because we've been having strong winds and it knocked all of the little acornlets off the trees). In my own yard, there are tons of dandelions and clover growing wild. Roses, tulips, and some other flowers grow in the border. My mom has a little garden, where she grows tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil that takes over everything. We have a mulberry tree in the back yard.

What do you have in your area?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Backyard Magic

Our garden is blessed with various plants, a collection of young fruit trees, (apple, cherry, plum, pear, apricot) some evergreen bushes, lots of herbs, (chives, parsley, mint, rosemary, tarragon, sorrel, basil) a few shrubs, lots of flowers (when the time is right, (daffodils, crocus, roses, tulips, lavender,) also grasses, weeds and clover, vines and creepers, (ivy, honeysuckle, passion flowers, clematis,) bay hedges, and baby connifers. Sometimes we grow salads and vegetables, although this year, we didn't. I collect and dry many fine specimens, some of which end up in the kitchen for our food and drinks, some get used to create art and craft items, some end up in charms and amulets.

We've a couple of small woods and a bit of a forest not far away, so I sometimes pick up little bits that have fallen, like conkers, acrorns or sycamore seeds and that sort of thing.

We are close to a tidal river, and not far from several lovely beaches, so I have access there to plenty of shells, pebbles, bits of seaweed, "mermaids' purses," old fishing lines, and other strand line finds. Some end up representing the elements on my altar, some get used in my arts and crafts, some make it into spells...

I don't spend much money in shops, but I do give a lot back to nature for her gifts!

Comment

In our backyard, we have roses, grapes, a pine tree, honeysuckle, oranges, mandarins, a hybrid pomello/lime/lemon, St John's Wort, mint, and a rosemary bush that can be seen from space! We used to garden a lot, but we've just been too busy lately :-(
      She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

At the moment I have mum's veg and herb garden, the little reserve at the end of the street with various eucalypts, the big reserve 10 minute's walk away with full bushland, the little stand of pine trees up the road, and various trees, mushrooms and weeds along the 30minute walk to work. Of that I admit that I actually use very little, in terms of items as ingredients... mostly feathers and animal bits that I find, but sometimes flowers (particularly rosebuds as Skuld seems to like those).

Most of what I get from my environment is a sense of place, and a working relationship with the landvaettr, animal guides and greenwights.

When our house is finished we'll be living in Meadows, a little township in the Adelaide Hills. It's a 20min drive from here and is in the heart of the Southern Mount Lofty Ranges. This is so many different types of exciting for me! We'll be IN the Hills instead of next to them. We'll be closer to the bushland in the Onkaparinga Gorge and to the (now protected) pine plantation in Kuipto Forest. We'll have a park and duck pond at the end of our street and a seasonal creek over our back fence. And we'll still be within 30-60 minutes of Belair National Park, Waterfall Gully, Granite Island, the Onkaparinga delta, the Goolwa wetlands and any of twenty different beaches along the Fleurieu, including geological sites. I have big plans for seasonal visits and tracking of local plant and wildlife. I want to learn wildcrafting so I can take advantage of not just the Hills and Fleurieu producers but also the wild produce. This move will be the next step in my bioregional practice, as we're moving out of the suburbs and into the middle of the Mt Lofty Ranges, which I connect so strongly with.

Comment

we live in a forest, and our land borders on a HUGE state forest.

I don't do juju, but I learn by looking and experimenting with the things there - plants, fungi, mostly, but critters and what they do as well.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
          X