Heimdall, Social Class & What it Means For Us Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heimdall, Social Class & What it Means For Us Today

Throughout the lore, Heimdallr figures as a particularly interesting character - not only in the sense that he will ultimately signal the arrival of Ragnarok, but also in his own contributions to mankind. Among his bringing of the gifts of the gods to men, he is also credited for the three primary social classes in Old Norse society - namely the elite, the free-born, and the thralls. What is interesting is the order in which these social classes are sired - the thralls come first, from the eldest of the three children that come forth from Heimdallr laying between couples that took him in for three days before moving on.

An already somewhat accepted interpretation of this among scholars' circles is the place of thralls in society and the afterlife, despite evidence showing that most thralls were non-Scandinavian and not of Norse ancestry. It is interesting to note that thralls could actually become freedmen and gain a higher status more proximal to the free-born farmers and craftsmen of Norse society at the time, making it somewhat difference from the caste system seen in the Indian tradition. It was more metropolitan in nature, and the lore seems to reflect this.

Could there be more, however? Do you think there is a significance in the order in which the three social classes of men were fathered by Lord Heimdallr? Do you reckon there's a lesson or philosophical caveat to be learned from this that we can apply to our lives in light of the Norse tradition today?

Re: Heimdall, Social Class & What it Means For Us Today

What you present above is quite interesting. I haven't delved that much into the lore of Heimdall, so what I'll say is personal opinion which, I presume, is highly nonsensical interpretation at its best.
    Anyway, I reckon deep in the heart of Nordic society, which is reflected in its traditional lore, they know who comes first and their of role in the society. The two older children fathering Thrall and Free Born may signify that a community must exist first before there be royalty/ruling class. It may also signify that the ruling class actually need thralls and freeborns to thrive, and vice versa.
    There are so many possible interpretations regarding Heimdall and his involvement with mankind as told by the traditional lore.
    I wish I could write more about this topic I'm on my phone and it's a bish, lol.

Comment

Re: Heimdall, Social Class & What it Means For Us Today

In a way, it makes perfect sense and can be applied to the conceptual idea behind the United States "melting pot" and the whole thing on the plaque at the Statue of Liberty about the sick and tired and poor and blah blah blah. It also reflects society in general.

From the backs of the hard working, those seeking refuge, and those who strive to become better for both their own and their children's sakes, a community and a society will be created. Over time, as more and more new people arrive, those who are established will know how things work, and will begin to guide and instruct those who do not yet understand. And, from those who have been around, leaders and experts will appear to further streamline and direct the continuation and building of the culture.

If that makes any sense.

Comment

Working...
      X