Various Veterans Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various Veterans Issues

I honestly don't like most people in the military. The testerone fueled, dick swinging, Muslim destroying attitude is incredibly annoying along with the far right brainwashing. I'm sick of all the hero talk. I'm sick of seeing endless videos on the news of some guy suprising his kid after a ten month deployment. Sick of every single old guy at the VA with their veteran hat and their inability to talk about anything but a three year enlistment that was thirty years ago. I'm sick of seeing ACU patterns everywhere. I'm sick of the pointless jingoistic worship that removes are ability to have a reasonable discussion about our out of control military and its budget.

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    I honestly don't like most people in the military. The testerone fueled, dick swinging, Muslim destroying attitude is incredibly annoying along with the far right brainwashing. I'm sick of all the hero talk. I'm sick of seeing endless videos on the news of some guy suprising his kid after a ten month deployment. Sick of every single old guy at the VA with their veteran hat and their inability to talk about anything but a three year enlistment that was thirty years ago. I'm sick of seeing ACU patterns everywhere. I'm sick of the pointless jingoistic worship that removes are ability to have a reasonable discussion about our out of control military and its budget.
    Interested to see what becomes of this...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

An unpopular opinion to unpopular for Unpopular Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Interested to see what becomes of this...
        I'll just keep my opinion to myself on this one, figure that's the best thing for me to do
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

An unpopular opinion to unpopular for Unpopular Opinions?
          No such thing. Just interested in reactions. Always curious, can't help it...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well, people of an unrealistic vision/expectation of the military that causes a purely emotional and reactionary response.

That doesn't seem healthy in a public discourse where so much of our budget is allotted to the military.

Comment

Well, people of an unrealistic vision/expectation of the military that causes a purely emotional and reactionary response.

That doesn't seem healthy in a public discourse where so much of our budget is allotted to the military.
              I've never served, so I'll let those who have better knowledge respond.,

Comment

I have a thought for those who are unaware;
                A person joins the military with a vow to protect and defend the constitution. He writes a black check payable with his very life to the people and government of this country. When he leaves the service the vow remains in effect. He/she is treated as a second class citizen, often not getting required health care that he/she is due. There is rarely a job waiting for him/her and most of these men and women have families to support.
                I am in no position to name anyone a hero but I know there are some who gave all they had in the fight they did not start for a government that doesn't care. For me, most of them have earned my respect and thanks. It is wrong that the VA has let tens of thousands die while they waited for treatment for damages done in the line of duty.

This is just my opinion and you have every right to your own, because men of the military have fought and died to keep those rights alive.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  A person joins the military with a vow to protect and defend the constitution. He writes a black check payable with his very life to the people and government of this country. When he leaves the service the vow remains in effect. He/she is treated as a second class citizen, often not getting required health care that he/she is due. There is rarely a job waiting for him/her and most of these men and women have families to support.
                  I am in no position to name anyone a hero but I know there are some who gave all they had in the fight they did not start for a government that doesn't care. For me, most of them have earned my respect and thanks. It is wrong that the VA has let tens of thousands die while they waited for treatment for damages done in the line of duty.

This is just my opinion and you have every right to your own, because men of the military have fought and died to keep those rights alive.
                  For a lot of us we live with the belief and opinion there is no end obligation to our oaths of enlistment. Our bodies grow old and often disabled but we'd go back if we were needed. Forever living our lives with a portion of our spirits / souls still on deployment somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    For a lot of us we live with the belief and opinion there is no end obligation to our oaths of enlistment. Our bodies grow old and often disabled but we'd go back if we were needed. Forever living our lives with a portion of our spirits / souls still on deployment somewhere.
                    Oath Keepers. You are a sheep dog of sorts. We protect those who are blind to the danger.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Oath Keepers. You are a sheep dog of sorts. We protect those who are blind to the danger.
                      I think for some our biggest fear is we turn into the very wolves we stood guard against for so long. For some the realization that it's not a far step to go from being the warrior to the merc who fights for money.

Comment

Treated like a second class citizen? That's weird because veterans are pretty much worshipped in this country. I don't understand the large victim complex that seems to have taken hold of a lot of veterans.

I guess the free college, free healthcare, generous disability benefits, and endless social programs just don't do it.

Comment

Treated like a second class citizen? That's weird because veterans are pretty much worshipped in this country. I don't understand the large victim complex that seems to have taken hold of a lot of veterans.

I guess the free college, free healthcare, generous disability benefits, and endless social programs just don't do it.
                          The second class citizen thing is a hold-over for many older retired military based around the reactions and responses they received after returning from both Korea and Vietnam. While things have changed very much so since then, there are still some issues that can arise from time to time, with the way in which some of the military and veteran benefits are handled. I know that a very good friend of mine (who is no longer with us) suffered from severe PTSD, depression, and all the not so wonderful things that go along with it. Due to the issues with budget, availability, and resources, he had gotten signed off with a clean bill of health before he was, in fact, "healthy".

Granted, things like this happen everywhere. Signs and symptoms seem to disappear, only to be dormant, and things get missed. While yes, this is horrible, it becomes brought into the public eye by those who later speak out about it, rather than remain quiet as most do.

Comment

Free, hah.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                              Free, hah.
                              As a vet, it's a mixed bag.......like everything in life.

Yeah, I had free college. Free healthcare when I wasn't employed and free healthcare for the stuff for the military messed up when I was....but I don't use it because the quality is hit or miss compared to a doc I like and personally vetted. Yeah, I get a guaranteed home loan without a down payment and I even get a little bit of an edge when I apply for a government job.

But what they don't tell you is that you will have a harder time getting a job when get out. And that your work history doesn't count for shot because there's no civilian equivalent for most military rates. And that the only people that will understand your resume are other vets. And that your hair for VA benefits can take months or even years. And that the military can injure you and even discharge you for that injury that the VA will deny compensation for. And...

Yeah, it's free, but there's a catch even after you earn it in the first place.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X