Flower Symbolism Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flower Symbolism Question

Does anyone know of any symbolism related to either the forget-me-not or the thistle? I have a tattoo idea (I've had it for a long time, really) - and those are my two favourite flowers. I was just wondering if there's any symbolism for either of the two (it's cool if there's not - I just can't find anything on the thistle beyond "Scotland, rawr&quot

Thanks!

Mostly art.

Re: Flower Symbolism Question

The thistle could symbolize hard to obtain beauty (the flower surrounded by prickles), or any hard to achieve goal. It could also symbolize something that has mounted defenses around its inner portion.

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

If I remember correctly, the thistle is the emblem for Scotland.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

A legend about the origin of the name forget-me-not is as follows. Once a medieval knight and his lady-love were walking beside a river. The knight held a bouquet in his hands. Because of the weight of the armor, he fell into the water. According to the legend, he threw the bouquet at her shouting forget-me-not.

and

from "theflowerexpert.com"
        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

As per the Victorian-era floriography--the "codified" "language of flowers" put forth in period sources such as The Language of Flowers by Henrietta Dumont (1852) and The Language of Flowers by Frederic Shoberl (1839) , the forget-me-not's symbolism is pretty self evident by the name, and the thistle represents surliness and/or misanthropy.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X