Question for the Admin(s) about post karma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Admin(s) about post karma

I see that when someone gives a rec or a smite here, you can look it up and see who did it, and they can enter a reason they did it. I've adminned several SMF-based forums myself and have never come across this feature. It's a neat idea - on some other boards the post karma has caused a lot of trouble and in-fighting. (Guess some folks have nothing better to worry about LOL) Was this a custom feature or did it come with this board setup?
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Question for the Admin(s) about post karma

I'm just a moderator on this particular board, but as far as I know, the karma feature comes standard. I know I was on a smaller smf-board that ran the free version, and we had karma as well.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

It's a great feature.
      Sleep, my friend, and you will see
      That dream is my reality

Comment

I think all boards have it, but not the part about knowing who gave it, etc. People used to fight over getting smited, etc., but never knew who really did it.
        sigpic

Comment

It adds accountability and prevents abuse for the most part
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I do not believe SMF 1.x came with it. But, haven't really installed and messed with SMF 1.x much. It had already been there when I came to be a Mod/Admin on the old PF.

SMF 2.x already has it installed, though. Only a little bit of tweaking was necessary to make it how we wanted it to be. Such as post limit required to even use the feature, etc.

People really do take getting smites very serious. Too serious, if you ask me. They hand out applauds like candy, but the moment they get a smite, the world stops turning. In my *personal* opinion, it's a bit silly. We've actually contemplated setting ground rules about how/when +/-'s are and aren't appropriate because it's caused such an uproar in the past. We haven't actually applied anything about it. I guess we're still hopeful. For now.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=1275.msg24952#msg24952 date=1293397840]
              I do not believe SMF 1.x came with it. But, haven't really installed and messed with SMF 1.x much. It had already been there when I came to be a Mod/Admin on the old PF.

SMF 2.x already has it installed, though. Only a little bit of tweaking was necessary to make it how we wanted it to be. Such as post limit required to even use the feature, etc.

People really do take getting smites very serious. Too serious, if you ask me. They hand out applauds like candy, but the moment they get a smite, the world stops turning. In my *personal* opinion, it's a bit silly. We've actually contemplated setting ground rules about how/when +/-'s are and aren't appropriate because it's caused such an uproar in the past. We haven't actually applied anything about it. I guess we're still hopeful. For now.
              [/quote]

Thanks! As I said, I never saw a board with an accountability feature before. On some, I simply disabled the entire karma feature. On one, I had a stalker coming in just to smite me so I set my smite count to the maximum LOL I never took to the troll board scene - it's really ridiculous. I belong now to a few boards which are more reality and interest oriented. Much better! I got a good feeling about this one right away.
              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=1275.msg24955#msg24955 date=1293399901]
                Thanks! As I said, I never saw a board with an accountability feature before. On some, I simply disabled the entire karma feature. On one, I had a stalker coming in just to smite me so I set my smite count to the maximum LOL I never took to the troll board scene - it's really ridiculous. I belong now to a few boards which are more reality and interest oriented. Much better! I got a good feeling about this one right away.

[/quote]
                We have a usergroup set up that disallows karma use completely. So if someone is abusing the feature, we set them into that usergroup. Problem solved.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=1275.msg24952#msg24952 date=1293397840]

[/quote]

I agree. I think people have been doing really good with it so far. I think it's a good system to have provided people use it responsibly. For example, I know I get excited when I get an applaud, and I like to go in and look and see who gave it to me and why, and I know when I hand out an applaud, I like to have a good reason. I think so far people have been using it pretty responsibly and we can only hope that continues so we won't have to say anything about it.
                  It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                  -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I agree, I don't ever see people with outrageous amounts of smites. And blessings, well, I guess I don't consider that abuse. XD
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                    X