Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever keep religious items from your previous religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever keep religious items from your previous religion?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here on the forum kept religious items from their previous religion. As most of you know, my grandmother recently died and I have received and still have got some rosaries from her and my family. They are Catholics and my grandmother was a staunch Catholic. Even though I am an Egyptian Wiccan I can't bear to part with them, not because of my beliefs, but because of the feelings connected to them. I would feel really bad if I sold or gave away one of my rosaries that my mother or grandmother. I hope i'm not the only one here who feels that way.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Do you ever keep religious items from your previous religion?

Personal items from those we love are not necessarily a religious item to us. I look at things like that as parts of the person from whom they are received, a keepsake or trigger for memories of the person.
    When I began the process of initiating into my second tradition I cleansed and purified some of my own tools and gifted them to other members who would use them. I burned my wand and dagger but the chalice and altar stone were gifted. They were well received and are being used by others now.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I still have my menorah and dreidel from my first Hanukkah as well as a Star of David pendant. I can't bring myself to get rid of them so I keep them in my hope chest.

Comment

In truth I think it would depend upon what the object was.

It's like I have bibles because I like to read. Yet i'd not keep say a crucifix as that to me is more representative of the God of that religion than the bible which is its dogma and man made. Yet to get a crucifix from some relative i'd not look at as a representation of the God as much as a gift from a loved one or something to remember them by. The difference, for me anyway, being that I might have used the crucifix as a holy symbol in my practice but the one from a family member would not have been used by me to represent their God.

Yeah I know it's splitting hairs to a degree but that's how I see it. Same light that a statue I used to enshrine or breath life into is sacred yet the same statue in a store is just a piece of material and only holds a meaning if you give it one.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My aunt was also my godmother and gave me a gold crucifix at my baptism, when I was about 2 months old. I'll never part with it! I also have a Deknatel rosary, still in the original box, that I won in a spelling bee in 5th grade, and a couple of other odds & ends.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I don't have a previous religion or items that belong to other religions than my own. I only own a small pentagram necklace that I occasionally wear and I've had it since I started my Pagan path. It means a lot to me and I wouldn't be able to part with it.

Comment

I keep icons of everything I identify (or have identified with) in a fairly religious context, more because it provides an insight into the path I have walked than as to what I firmly believe in now.

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

I have two Orthodox icons, one of Jesus and one of John the Baptist. I use my incense burner from a christian seller in Greece mostly for sage now.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I can't seem to get rid of my rosaries and the old bibles that my mother and grandmother gave me. The only attachment I seem to have to them are through memories and love. They don't relate to my religion, but maybe one day I can definitely give them to another member of my family. I have a nephew I can definitely give some of my things to.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here on the forum kept religious items from their previous religion. As most of you know, my grandmother recently died and I have received and still have got some rosaries from her and my family. They are Catholics and my grandmother was a staunch Catholic. Even though I am an Egyptian Wiccan I can't bear to part with them, not because of my beliefs, but because of the feelings connected to them. I would feel really bad if I sold or gave away one of my rosaries that my mother or grandmother. I hope i'm not the only one here who feels that way.
                    It's just a thought, but those rosaries would be the perfect addition to an ancestor shrine. As your grandmother was Catholic, and doubtless other ancestors were Catholic as well, they might make her feel more at home. Many Kemetics set up their ancestor shrines with religious iconography meant to honor their ancestors' beliefs.
                    With kind regards,
                    Banu

Comment

Originally posted by Banu View Post
                      It's just a thought, but those rosaries would be the perfect addition to an ancestor shrine. As your grandmother was Catholic, and doubtless other ancestors were Catholic as well, they might make her feel more at home. Many Kemetics set up their ancestor shrines with religious iconography meant to honor their ancestors' beliefs.
                      Thanks for the thought Banu. I will have to do that!
                      Anubisa

Comment

Somewhere in my closet is my dad's crucifix from his coffin. I'm chalking that up to more morbid then religious though.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Nada ... nope ... zilch ... nil ... unless you count the first pipe I bought ...
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I still have my confirmation Bible.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I thought about this and even walked around my house trying to see if there was anything around that I would say I had kept, but in truth there really is nothing. Anything that was once my grandparents', I had given to my folks, and I never really owned anything myself. I wonder though, if things from the early incarnation of my current faith count? If so, then there are quite a few of those, which I have repurposed to fit my needs now.

Comment

Working...
                              X