Singing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singing

Has anyone of you considered singing different songs for the gods you worship? I have been wondering. Sometimes I sing to myself when nobody can hear me because I don't have a very artistic voice.
    But maybe the gods can/will appreciate that as an offering.

What do you think?

Note: if you do this kind of thing already, what kind of songs to you use?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Singing

They would scatter to the winds
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I do sing as a kind of offering... what I sing seems irrelevant, it's the feelings that it generates that matters. I sing whatever feels right. Sometimes it's old folksongs, sometimes it's something newer, or something I wrote.
      But while I sometimes sing to honour my gods, it's not them I sing for. It's the faeries (don't really know what else to call it) in the place where I go to find inspiration.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I've never sang to Anubis or Bast because I don't know what to sing really. I just pray and talk to them. I think, though, if you sing the gods would appreciate and love anything you sing to them. It doesn't matter if you have a great singing voice or not. It's praise and love for them. I've never thought about singing Gleb, but it's a great idea. Any songs in particular??
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I make noises.
          All kinds of noises.
          Like this.

But I can't sing.
          baah.

Comment

I don't sing for my gods, because I really can't sing. I love to sing along with my favourite songs, but only when no one is around XD
            Sometimes I dance. I love dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              I've never sang to Anubis or Bast because I don't know what to sing really. I just pray and talk to them. I think, though, if you sing the gods would appreciate and love anything you sing to them. It doesn't matter if you have a great singing voice or not. It's praise and love for them. I've never thought about singing Gleb, but it's a great idea. Any songs in particular??
              I'm not much of a singer. Having a deep/low voice, I try to pick the songs I actually can handle. For example, I can handle this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-i4wUTtkZc
              I love Tarja's songs. At first when I heard her performing as a part of Nightwish I thought of her as creepy a bit. Later on I understood she had her own style.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I can't really sing, but it doesn't stop me! A couple of centuries ago, Thomas Taylor translated all the Orphic Hymns into English verse, so I have a hymn for each of my household gods and all the others at their festivals. The only catch is that he used decasyllabics, so I have a choice of only 2 hymn tunes: "Abide with me" and "All round the world thy children sing their song". An example, sung on the third day of the month, would be

Approach, queen Tyche, with propitious mind
                And rich abundance, to my prayer inclined.
                Placid and gentle Goddess, mighty named,
                Imperial lady, born of Pluto famed,

In thee our various mortal life is found,
                And some from thee in copious wealth abound;
                Be present, Goddess, to thy votaries kind,
                And give abundance with benignant mind.

Comment

Yes I sing. As soon as I start singing with intent, I feel my deity's presence come alive in the area around me. I sing my own songs, I sing songs others have written, I sing sounds that aren't words (whatever vowel sounds I like) If breath is sacred to me, then voice is breath with very specific intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrudr View Post
                    I don't sing for my gods, because I really can't sing. I love to sing along with my favourite songs, but only when no one is around XD
                    Sometimes I dance. I love dancing.
                    I would love to find my dance

Comment

I've only sung in ritual once, when things were really bleak. There's a song I picked up somewhere which I only sing when I'm sad and one day I sang it in shrine. Things have gotten better since then.

There is music which sometimes makes me think of my gods. This one perfectly describes the feeling I have when I'm in Bast's presence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVje8_VxKE

I wish there were more songs written specifically for our gods though. We need musically talented people in the community to write more songs that the average person can sing, especially to the Egyptian gods. I always loved singing in church, and I miss being able to sing with a group of people in love and adoration. It can be a very euphoric, emotional experience!
                      With kind regards,
                      Banu

Comment

I am more like ...
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Galdr is a form of runic chanting, or singing one will use during a ritual to invoke that Rune's power. I use Galdr with my drum in almost every ritual. Or, I'll sing a story from one of the Edda's. I find its a lot more metaphysically powered if sung, but that's just me. Galdr is a large part of Runeology, most of our Heathen-based members have probably used Galdr at least once.
                          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I used to sing the chorus of Avril Lavigne's 'Fall to Pieces' to the sky, the trees, and the energies of the Earth walking to work and always felt an instant jolt of love and acceptance. I don't think the emanations of the divine care what you sing to them, be it modern or traditional, as long as it is with love and gratitude.

Comment

Like this.
                              Nare, what is this?

Comment

Working...
                              X