How Essential is Timing to spellwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Essential is Timing to spellwork?

Occasionally when I have a spell I want to do it reminds me of when I first started gardening. I was really interested in the idea of gardening by the moon and the stars and I'd always plan accordingly, but then that would end up being the same day I had a flat on the way home from work and the dog got out and got lost and ... I quickly gave up on gardening by the moon. Maybe when I am retired.

In any case I do have better luck planning the time for most of my spells so I don't always dismiss timing. But sometimes when I feel especially empowered and just want to go for it or if the timing of the situation is running tight ... I just go ahead and do a spell even if the moon phase or day of the week is all wrong for it.

So far this hasn't been demonstrably ineffective but I am wondering what other people's experiences have been. Is this a go with your instincts type of thing or more hard and fast? Is doing a spell at the wrong time self sabotage or just a question of lesser effectiveness?

Re: How Essential is Timing to spellwork?

I've never felt that the day of the week, phase of the moon, atmospheric pressure, or the direction I last sneezed in has any effect upon any sort of magical working. I look at it just like the use of candles and other paraphernalia. They're nice to have, but aren't really important. The only purpose to them is to help set the mood and to get you into a frame of mind to act upon your will. It's like putting a fresh coat of paint on your car. It makes it look pretty, but won't change how it drives or the mileage it gets.

Comment

If it is for a need, such as a job because you are getting booted out of your living space or a healing for a loved one, then I think timing really doesn't matter, it may or may not affect the spell, because your intention is fueled with emotional content. If you just want to evoke a demon to gain knowledge of wealth and seductive glamour, then timing would seem to give the magician a boost because the added emotion of need or crisis is missing. The moon phase, day of week, and season add that natural flux to your spell when emotion is lacking.

If you are doing a harvest spell for good crops or more rain due to drought, then I would say timing and correspondences related to the spirit are crucial. I would't call upon Hecate during a hot afternoon for rain, I would call upon Athena or Zeus during a waxing or full moon on a Monday (relating to the moon, thus water) or Thursday (growth) with the appropriate offerings.

I don't perform spellcraft too often, but when I do I would ask myself (or the Oracle): Is it a desire, a need, or a crisis? Is magic necessary or is good old fashioned foot work and strategy more practical? Am I ready for this change at this moment, or should I exercise patience instead of my wand?

Comment

Honestly, I've never paid much attention to the time or phase of the moon when I do spell work. There may be times that I wait to do something for a specific reason (I want to do it on someone's birthday/a holiday/when I'm in a better moon), but that's about it.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by TxanGoddess View Post
          Occasionally when I have a spell I want to do it reminds me of when I first started gardening. I was really interested in the idea of gardening by the moon and the stars and I'd always plan accordingly, but then that would end up being the same day I had a flat on the way home from work and the dog got out and got lost and ... I quickly gave up on gardening by the moon. Maybe when I am retired.

In any case I do have better luck planning the time for most of my spells so I don't always dismiss timing. But sometimes when I feel especially empowered and just want to go for it or if the timing of the situation is running tight ... I just go ahead and do a spell even if the moon phase or day of the week is all wrong for it.

So far this hasn't been demonstrably ineffective but I am wondering what other people's experiences have been. Is this a go with your instincts type of thing or more hard and fast? Is doing a spell at the wrong time self sabotage or just a question of lesser effectiveness?
          I don't pay that much attention to timing for my workings. I do sometimes, if I have the luxury of waiting for a certain time to come around. It does make sense to me to wait for the right moon phase if you have the opportunity to, simply because every little bit helps... but I don't think that a spell in the wrong phase or timing is doomed to fail.

I actually think that gardening by the moon is an awesome example of this. Your plant isn't going to die if you don't plant it on the right day according to the moon phase, but maybe it will grow that little bit better if you do, and maybe you'll get a few less weeds if you focus on weeding during this certain time instead of planting or fertilising. It's not gonna fail if you don't... but it might help if you do.

Comment

Working...
          X