Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity...and Beyond!

Mathematically, infinity exists.

Do you think infinity exists on the physical plane, and if so, how would that concept relate to our physical existence and understanding of religion and philosophy?

Re: Infinity...and Beyond!

Way over my head.
    Sleep, my friend, and you will see
    That dream is my reality

Comment

Yes, I believe infinity exists physically, though probably not in a straight line. That's where most people lose the concept. Our brains don't want to draw a line that never stops. But we can imagine a physically infinite circle, or a Mobius strip. It's already related to religion since most people say God is infinite, with no beginning and no end. Some good related reading: "The Lightness of Being" by Frank Wilczek. It's physics, but understandable to non-scientists, and explores some really cool concepts.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It makes math easier.

Infinity x 126000 = infinity

Infinity divided by 43 = infinity

Infinity to the 98th power = infinity

etc. ;D

Seriously, though...

What does it mean to say 'infinity exists" or "infinity does not exist"? There would be no way of knowing if a thing for which no limit can be found actually has a limit or not.

It's bit of a paradox - if you can answer the question "Does infinity exist?" you would have to have explored something far enough to know that there is no possible limit to it. To do that, you would have to completely explore it. If you can completely explore a thing, it can't be infinite. Therefore, as soon as you can prove that a thing is infinite, it stops being so.

Does Pi continue on into infinity? You'd have to work it all the way out to find out...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

like you said as you presented the subject... there are two kinds of infinity.

Mathematical and Physical.

Mathematical infinity is the greatest number you can write... which of course it's impossible to write so we use an eight tilted on it's back as a symbol of infinity. The is 4 kinds of mathematical infinity.

+oo positive open infinity
          -oo negative open infinity
          x->n+ asymptotic positive border infinity
          x->n- asymptotic negative border infinity

Physical infinity is a trick done by our universe to give the illusion of infinity. It's a dog running in circle trying to catch it's tail, or if you are a Heathen, it's Jormungandr the serpent that goes around Midgar trying to eat it's tail. This infinity is an illusion of perception due to the fact there is a physical limit to the universe, where time and space does not exist anymore. The problem is, that limit is expanding and getting further away from us at the speed of light. So how much we try to see this limit, we will never reach it cuz, we too can only perceive stuff at the maximum at the speed of light.

Comment

Real limits are not set by what *we* perceive; the whole point of believing in something greater than us is that *they* have greater abilities, yes? Therefore the ability to create a reality we can't quite grasp.

sigpic

Comment

Damn! There are some really intelligent people on here.
              Sleep, my friend, and you will see
              That dream is my reality

Comment

All this thinking is giving me a headache!
                sigpic

Comment

*reels in hook ... Hmmm ... Need more troll bait ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I must be sleep deprived to want to rant about this, but here goes. A two-dimensional slice with 0 thickness has 0 mass, even if it is infinitely long. Our time may be like that two-dimensional slice- very long, but very thin in another dimension. It may intersect wth another reality, but in such a way that it registers as only an instant on the "Y-axis" of otherworldly time. Thus, Y world and its inhabitants may seem timeless to us, or immortal, because for them time moves forward in more dimensions. (say, it travels in both X and Y)
                    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

To my mind, saying Infinity doesn't exist is the same as saying Zero doesn't exist. It is a tool, a representation of something that can never be measured. in the same way that 0 is a tool to differentiate between positive and negative numbers. Nothing that can be measured is 0[measurement unit]. At the very least it will have a 1 in it somewhere.

M
                      In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

im sorry but can you prove that infinity doesn't exist? theres more evidence that it does than it doesn't. and thats that its assumed that if you get to the "end of the universe" that you dont just blink out of existence. theres just nothing left to see. that you went beyond the area that all other matter has been. but there is still room to move.

some scientists even believe in infinitely small matter components. they've discovered quarks, which are what makes up hadrons (including protons and neutrons). and they believe that something may make up these quarks too because theres 6 different types of them and something has to cause the differentiation of them. and if something causes differences in the quarks then there must be different components of what makes up the quarks. so what are those? what makes them different? etc. hence an infinite loop of guessed smaller and smaller matter. beyond what we have actually been able to discover.

its mostly guesswork based on fact. because who was actually here to see the big bang?
                        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=1291.msg26011#msg26011 date=1293801829]
                          im sorry but can you prove that infinity doesn't exist? theres more evidence that it does than it doesn't. and thats that its assumed that if you get to the "end of the universe" that you dont just blink out of existence. theres just nothing left to see. that you went beyond the area that all other matter has been. but there is still room to move.

some scientists even believe in infinitely small matter components. they've discovered quarks, which are what makes up hadrons (including protons and neutrons). and they believe that something may make up these quarks too because theres 6 different types of them and something has to cause the differentiation of them. and if something causes differences in the quarks then there must be different components of what makes up the quarks. so what are those? what makes them different? etc. hence an infinite loop of guessed smaller and smaller matter. beyond what we have actually been able to discover.

its mostly guesswork based on fact. because who was actually here to see the big bang?
                          [/quote]

MOD NOTE: Before this gets too far, I would like to point out that this is an academic section, but this particular thread is not meant to be a debate. This is opinion, so proofs aren't needed. If you'd like to debate proofs, please take that to the debate section.
                          It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                          -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

In Mathematics infinity does exist. But in reality infinity exists potentially but not actually.

For example, if there are points A and B, you can potentially divide that line infinite times, but at the same time you can actually simply cross the distance between A and B.

[4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=1291.msg26645#msg26645 date=1294082297]
                              In Mathematics infinity does exist. But in reality infinity exists potentially but not actually.

For example, if there are points A and B, you can potentially divide that line infinite times, but at the same time you can actually simply cross the distance between A and B.

[/quote]

Have you told that to Zeno yet? It'll spoil his day...
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X