Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rituals of first millennium CE heathens..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals of first millennium CE heathens..?

Are there any rituals or practices that were common and constant in heathen practice?

I am writing a rite as part of my ancestral veneration whereupon every year offering is made to a certain group in my ancestry, not as worship but as thanks. Although I do not personally believe in any gods, I know gods were important to most of my ancestors and I want to honour this fact by incorporating recognition (not syncretism) of what was important to them both in the words and in the actions of the ritual. Would a heathen, when petitioning Odin or one of the other gods, have carried out a particular ritual that we have archaeological evidence for?
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Re: Rituals of first millennium CE heathens..?

I doubt you'll find archaeological evidence for most any ritual, much less one that specific. Primary and secondary sources would be your best bet. That said, while I by no means have all (or any, really) primary and secondary sources commited to memory, I doubt you're going to find much there, either. Wanna thank your ancestors? Then thank them. I don't think you're going to find words from 800 CE that will connect you to your ancestors better than words of your own.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
    X