Spiritual Burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Burnout

Does anyone else experience this on occassion?

Every so often, I get to a point where I can't think for another minute about spiritual matters. For me, sometimes, it all just seems too much -- like information overload and I HAVE to back off from it, or, at the very least, change my perspective to more simple, easy to manage bits. This is in direct opposition to my normally voracious appetite for learning about/understanding and discussing religion/spirituality.

Because of this, there are a couple of threads I've been meaning to respond to that I haven't been able to get back to, yet. I feel awful about that.

Anyway, I was wondering if I am alone here, or if other people experience this at times, too.

Thanks for listening!
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Re: Spiritual Burnout

Oh, I get that, I really do. It especially stinks when it happens with a thread I started, or was right in the middle of the main conversation on.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Currently going through this now!!!!

Comment

I definitely can relate. Sometimes I just overwhelm myself trying to study and learn new things that I just have to take a break for a short while and just relax with things. So you are not alone. I think plenty of people experience this.

Comment

For me, it can last years. Something usually wakes me up again, but sometimes I feel like I could just become an atheist without batting an eye.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses, so far. It helps to know that I'm not alone.

Sometimes I look around at people who don't think much about the spiritual side of things and it can seem like their lives are much 'easier'....if that's the right word.....just going along with the mundane bits of life -- and they seem happy. Not that I'm not [mostly!]....but, I think for me happiness seems to take more effort for me, than them -- and spirituality seems to play a huge role in that -- or more specifically.....spiritual questioning....sometimes I wish I wasn't as inquisitive as I am about life...makes things easier -- and then other times I am soooooo grateful that I AM inquisitive about what I think are important questions and ideas and think of how much these things have enriched my life.

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=1312.msg25734#msg25734 date=1293722443]
              Oh, I get that, I really do. It especially stinks when it happens with a thread I started, or was right in the middle of the main conversation on.
              [/quote]

Exactly! *blushes*

sigpic

Comment

Oh you are soooo not alone!
                Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Not really sure if I would call what I get "burn out" ... But there are times when I just don't do ANYTHING faith based ... Not that I don't want to, my mind just doesn't even think about it ... Sometimes I get up, go to work, comes home, watch tv and if I happen to look up and see a full moon I just think 'Kewl" ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Can't say that I've had burn out on spiritual matters, there are times where I'll do more or less of it due to mundane work load. Sometimes things that have to get done for work or the once a week cleaning will consume my waking hrs and/or energy so will do less in spiritual matters.
                    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

O ye of little faith.

:P

Seriously, though, faith is just like other things in life which can increase and decrease. Think of your physical strength, for example. Some days you feel so well, and then on other days you just feel so weak.

You just gotta know what increases your faith, and what decreases it so you can stay away from that.

I'd help you out more if were following my religion, but hope you feel better anyways!
                      [4:82]

Comment

I'm pretty sure everyone experiences something like this. I have my phases, as well. I'm going through something similar at the moment. I mean, I still feel spiritual, but I don't really have a draw... an *need* to practice my faith to the extent that I think I should be. It's kind of in hibernation, if you will.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=1312.msg25726#msg25726 date=1293718818]
                          Does anyone else experience this on occassion?
                          [/quote]

Oh absolutely. I'm learning to view it from a different perspective though. I used to be really hard on myself when my attention would wane for periods. Then it was pointed out that this cycling can be a normal, healthy thing. I call them dormant periods, when I feel my focus to shift so I can rest and process everything I've experienced and learned. Usually I come out of these periods feeling refreshed with new energy and insight.

I maintain regular devotional practices during those times, but the key is that I've turned the everyday activities (housework, sewing, exercising) into spiritual activities. So even when my mind is on other things, I still know that what I'm doing has multiple layers of purpose and meaning. It's a good anchor.

Don't beat yourself up, really good internal stuff may be happening when you take a break.
                          "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                          Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

I get the same way. That's usually when I go find a good book and just focus on my writing and the book until I finish it.
                            The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

Comment

I prefer to call it hibernation, or a funk--I get one at some point or another in one aspect of my life or another uppon occasion...I try to think of it as a sort of temporary stasis.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X