• Time
  • Show
Clear All

REligions: the same or different?

Do you think that all the major religions are
    fundamentally the same or different? Explain
    your answer.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Medusa's QDJ(year of the $1 pickle!)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    your answer.
    I think they are both different and similar. They all have common things but also have something unique. They share the same core.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

your answer.
      i think their function (as a psychological/sociological phenomenon) is similar but details differ.
      baah.

Comment

your answer.

Both...and neither. All religions (and by religion here, I'm taking the legal sense, and including Atheism) provide the same function, psychologically and socially. Most religions also provide for a similar "golden rule" default of behavior towards one another (thought it is expressed and emphasized differently). Most religions have certain teachings and/or obligations that are similar in nature towards one's neighbors, parents, elders, the poor, sick, the religious pilgrim, the guest-host relationship, etc (though how they are interpreted, and indeed, whether or not one actually acknowledges them, is both an institutional and an individual variable). All religions, and even individuals within those religions, differ widely when it comes to things like the nature of god (as a concept), how god should be encountered, etc---the trappings of religion.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Both...and neither. All religions (and by religion here, I'm taking the legal sense, and including Atheism) provide the same function, psychologically and socially. Most religions also provide for a similar "golden rule" default of behavior towards one another (thought it is expressed and emphasized differently). Most religions have certain teachings and/or obligations that are similar in nature towards one's neighbors, parents, elders, the poor, sick, the religious pilgrim, the guest-host relationship, etc (though how they are interpreted, and indeed, whether or not one actually acknowledges them, is both an institutional and an individual variable). All religions, and even individuals within those religions, differ widely when it comes to things like the nature of god (as a concept), how god should be encountered, etc---the trappings of religion.
          Wherever and whenever you are, you can always find similarities. Between humans, that is.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

your answer.
            I agree with Gleb. There are differences and similarities. However, I think that the differences outweigh the similarities. Like Christianity, the way the people worship Christ is different than Pagans worship the God and Goddess.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Religions have formed in order that people with similar spiritualities can share in groups. The legal definition of a religion requires at least one deity. Atheism is therefore not a religion. It might be considered a philosophy or even a spiritual philosophy but not a religion.
              Most religions have a creator god or goddess. That might be a "common" part but most religions don't accept the (name used for) god by another religion even though the creator performs the same function and only the names are different. For example Christians worship Jesus and his father as creator while Muslims worship Allah as the creator. Even though Allah means God, neither faith accepts the others names.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

your answer.
                Ehm. All of them? I think some are very similar, and some quite different. For example, from what (limited) knowledge I have of islam, it's not actually that different from christianity. But they don't share nearly as much with budhism or asatru. They all serve some common purposes, but they're not the same.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  The legal definition of a religion requires at least one deity. Atheism is therefore not a religion. It might be considered a philosophy or even a spiritual philosophy but not a religion.

SCOTUS has consistently interpreted religious beliefs as (from US v Seeger) sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God. Additionally, in (Fowler v Rhode Island) SCOTUS determined that "It is no business of courts to say that what is a religious practice or activity for one group is not religion under the protection of the First Amendment".

If religion, legally, is interpreted to mean one's sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God, and its none of our business what you actually DO to fulfill those sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God, then it stands to reason that legally, in the highest courts of our land (and in lower courts), religion has nothing to do with whether one believes in a deity. And indeed, this is why the First Amendment applies to atheism.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    SCOTUS has consistently interpreted religious beliefs as (from US v Seeger) sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God. Additionally, in (Fowler v Rhode Island) SCOTUS determined that "It is no business of courts to say that what is a religious practice or activity for one group is not religion under the protection of the First Amendment".

If religion, legally, is interpreted to mean one's sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God, and its none of our business what you actually DO to fulfill those sincere and meaningful beliefs occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God, then it stands to reason that legally, in the highest courts of our land (and in lower courts), religion has nothing to do with whether one believes in a deity. And indeed, this is why the First Amendment applies to atheism.

Can I get an AHmen!!!!
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Well,it would seem Sean(Our Sean) being a god in the baking,may consider himself his own diety. So,there you go,an Ouroboros of a belief system.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thalassa,
                        Look at the definition of a religion under the IRS codes. Since churches are automatically 501c3 organizations (tax exempt) the IRS has a definition of what is necessary to be considered a religion and a church. It differs from the court's decisions.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          Thalassa,
                          Look at the definition of a religion under the IRS codes. Since churches are automatically 501c3 organizations (tax exempt) the IRS has a definition of what is necessary to be considered a religion and a church. It differs from the court's decisions.
                          Then that is the IRS's regulatory definition. Its not a legal definition as defined by the courts, its a definition defined in the scope of purview of the IRS. You see the same definitions made (and modified) in other agencies internal and external documentation and regulations. And yes, its semantic, but its important semantics. The IRS's regulatory definition has bearing only on the tax code, not on overall rights. I don't care what the IRS thinks about my theology.
                          sigpic

Comment

your answer.
                            Same beer, different bottles.

And formulas.

Which makes them different.

But they are all beer.

You can wear that on your hat...
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Are not some the champagne of beers?...I heard that somewhere...
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X