Loki and Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loki and Spiders

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Does Loki have any traditional connection with spiders? The only thing I can find online is UPG. I know that He is a shape shifter, and could very well be a spider if He chose to, but I'm wondering if there is canonical lore connecting Him with spiders.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Loki and Spiders

I've always associated spiders with the Web of Wyrd. I like to think spiders spin the stories of time through their webs, and the webs fly freely inbetween the different streams of the worlds, bringing news to the Gods.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

The short answer is no.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Not that I've ever read.

There's really not that much in the way of spiders in the Lore at all, as far as I recall.

(I'm pretty sure Loki turns himself into a flea in one story, though).

Comment

I also associate spiders with the Web of Wyrd and I've never heard/read about Loki turning himself into a spider.

But now I'm curious... How did you get to this connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            (I'm pretty sure Loki turns himself into a flea in one story, though).
            A friend of mine that's a devotee of His did tell me He turned Himself into an insect in one instance of lore, but she wasn't sure about a spider.

Originally posted by Eofor View Post
            I also associate spiders with the Web of Wyrd and I've never heard/read about Loki turning himself into a spider.

But now I'm curious... How did you get to this connection?
            The connection came to me because I think of Him as spinning webs of illusion and magic. Spinning webs naturally led me to spiders.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

The Only Norse beings (Deities?) I've heard of having a connection to spiders are the Norns. Just saying

Comment

Working...
              X