Would it drive you mad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it drive you mad?

As my mind often tends to do today it dropped into one of those what if passages I so frequently step into.

In the movie BACK TO THE FUTURE Pt 2 Doc and Marty find themselves in a situation where they've jumped back in time only to discover the future they were familiar with was no longer an option. Due to some event the future they had experienced was erased and rewritten yet only they were aware of it. In the movie X-Men Days of Future Past, we find Logan being sent back in time to cause the change that will rewrite the future. Again, if the change is effective, then only Logan will remember the original timeline as it will be changed for everyone else.

So the idea of one or two people somehow going through time, experiencing or causing some change, then they being the only ones to remember the original future is pretty common in story telling. Granted most instances it involves a changed future but occasionally it also will involve a changed past as well as a changed future. Figure with Marty and Doc Brown their current present and forward changes. With Logan his current present changes but not as drastically though he seem's disconnected in his recall.

So would such an event occurring to the common person cause a mental breakdown? To be the only person alive who remembers a lived future or present that is totally different from what everyone else will experience or recall. I would think it would really screw with their sense of reality.

Now as a side line of though pause to reflect upon the notion that what if the future is constantly being shifted about us. Yet sometimes we might seem to connect to the timelines. What if the idea of Deja Vu was in some capacity our own minds attempt to reset and realign the time stream. On some level that we are aware of it and to avoid the mind crusher our minds have to reset which leads to the deja vu aspect. For just an instance of time, for perhaps a few seconds, our minds reset and realign the way we relate to the future we knew or once knew.

So while Marty, Doc Brown, Logan experience severe time rips and changes they are not alone. Ours perhaps not so great nor as catastrophic as theirs but still a mind screw on some level. Just a short adjustment of the playing needle to get us back on track and prevent our reality from screwing with us.

Yet would you go crazy if it occurred on such a scale that the change was significant and only you could recall what the original future, past or present was?
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Re: Would it drive you mad?

This is way you should not eat spicy food late at night after smoking some super weed......cause you gonna go nuts with weird thinking..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've dreamed whole days, I'm not sure if it would classify as the same you're talking about but I have dreamed a whole day from start to finish, or I guess had a whole day of deja vu. I would get up start my day and something would trigger it, a phrase, an action and I would "feel" for lack of better word that I had dreamt this and could tell you exactly how that day was going to go. I always had a sense of disconnectedness to myself like I was watching from a distance and it was trippy as hell, I could predict every phrase every action that would happen. I also could never deviate from it. It usually would end as I would go to bed and I'd wake up the next day a little hassy.

I've also known people. Swore that I had met them before could tell you things about them, feelings, and inclinations but they would swear they had never met me before. A feeling that I have never been able to shake with certain ones. So from my few episodes yes I think you could lose your mind but I think the mind works very hard to protect itself and you. I think the past, present, and future are constantly changing hence the reason I can "dream" days, or the fact that I already know people. Or you have a serous case of deja vu.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I've dreamed whole lives. I used to call it "Side 1" and "Side 2" like on a record, with one being the present we all share, and the other being only mine. Now it's just "parallel universe".
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Did someone say Logan?

All I know is it was supposed to be Kitty (it's cannon in the comics)

And actually Old Man Logan is in another future he's already been through.
          And he's super effing depressed as all hell having to know what's coming.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

That's an interesting read. However any respected scientist will tell you that Deja Vu's are caused by the matrix.
            [4:82]

Comment

Working...
            X