The Great Boaty McBoatface Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Boaty McBoatface Dilemma

In the US and outside the UK you may not have heard of this. But the new Polar Research Vessel needed a name. A poll was held. The name Boaty McBoatface won hands down. It romped home.
    But... the government has decided it would be too embarrassing to tell the Queen of the new name. So the vote may be disregarded after all.
    (Note: considering the Queen is married to a man who seems to have made a career out of embarrassing just about anyone he meets - just 'Google Prince Philip gaffes' if you don't believe me - I doubt she would be much embarrassed.)

besides, I think Boaty McBoatface is a nice name...

Admittedly, calling a boat Boaty McBoatface was a bad idea, voted for by idiots. But it was our bad idea. It was the British character writ large, and this cruel government killed it
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: The Great Boaty McBoatface Dilemma

No, it reached our news too
    Shame, if you let the internet decide something like that you should be prepared for the consequenses. I'm sure the queen would get a laugh from it
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I haven't heard of it, but that's a hoot!

'Course, if it happened in the US, that McClownfacesellerofbadfood would sue - that Mc sues anybody or anything that uses "Mc" in it's name.

Which is weird, considering how many people have "Mc" in their name...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Snootymcsnotface and creppymcweirdTaranasourusarms..I need sleep badly(woke at 2:30am,and can not get back to sleep.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
          Shame, if you let the internet decide something like that you should be prepared for the consequenses.
          I remember fondly when we almost got the Hitler Did Nothing Wrong soda.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Internet: place where if you can think it,it might go viral...also do not blink,cause you might miss a trend...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Maybe the gooberment would have prefered a tougher sounding name, the "The Medusa" -

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

They should keep it. The Internet has spoken, and it chose Boaty McBoatface. I think it's a fine name. I would have voted for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I haven't heard of it, but that's a hoot!

'Course, if it happened in the US, that McClownfacesellerofbadfood would sue - that Mc sues anybody or anything that uses "Mc" in it's name.

Which is weird, considering how many people have "Mc" in their name...
                They can't copyright or trademark that. It's an abbreviation of "mac," a Scottish prefix that means "son of." There are even a ton of MacDonald and McDonald people out there because it was a really big clan. They can trademark businesses named "McDonalds", but that's it.

In Germany there are a ton of "Mc" businesses out there. McPaper, McFit, etc. Maybe it works in the US, but most of the world has deemed McD's claim on their "Mc" prefix irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  ?.. They can trademark businesses named "McDonalds", but that's it.

In Germany there are a ton of "Mc" businesses out there. McPaper, McFit, etc. Maybe it works in the US, but most of the world has deemed McD's claim on their "Mc" prefix irrelevant.
                  Yup, I know all that.

But they can sue, and a small business can not aford the legal fees, so it changes it's name out of necessity. The US is different...

Essentially, if your name is McTaffy, you can't name your shop McTaffy's Books, unless you can spend the money to go up against the lawyers of a multi-national corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Yup, I know all that.

But they can sue, and a small business can not aford the legal fees, so it changes it's name out of necessity. The US is different...

Essentially, if your name is McTaffy, you can't name your shop McTaffy's Books, unless you can spend the money to go up against the lawyers of a multi-national corporation.
                    Yeah, the US is weird that way.

It's not just McDonalds, either. Disney regularly tries to protect its use of public domain fairy tale characters. And not just depictions similar to theirs...any depiction.

Anyway....Boaty McBoatface. Even though I think it's a shame that Boaty McBoatface may not be a part of our glorious world, I thought this Guardian commentary on it was really funny: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...will?CMP=fb_gu

Choice quote:

Boaty McBoatface was too beautiful to live. He was a rare and precious flower, simply not cut out for these ugly times. We created Boaty McBoatface. We created him after our own image, in a rush of optimism, deluding ourselves that he was ever worth a damn. Boaty McBoatface was a perfect idea in an imperfect world. He was all that we were not. He was strong. He was resolute. Truly, he was Boaty McBoatface.

Comment

An internet poll is hardly the arbiter of even moderately good sense, enduring intelligence, nor is it a legally binding resolution. Boaty McBoatface would make a great Thomas the Train character...which is precisely why it SHOULDN'T be the name of a research vessel. This is why people can't have nice things. How many people REALLY thought that through that voted for it? By the results, I can only think none of them. Not even the guy that SUGGESTED it actually voted for it.

Seriously, would people still think "the people have spoken" and "its a betrayal of democracy" if the winning contender had been to call the ship the Himmler? Doubtful.

...but still hilarious.
                      Last edited by thalassa; 20 Apr 2016, 04:11.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I do remember Macdonalds suing a guy whose NAME was Macdonald who had a fast food place named Macdonalds that started BEFORE mickyd's ever came to be. They sued him for using the macDonalds name of all things.

Go here.(Its a wiki)

"The company waged an unsuccessful 32-year legal action against McDonald's Family Restaurant which was opened by a man legally named Ronald McDonald in Fairbury, Illinois in 1956.[18] Mr. McDonald ultimately continued to use his name on his restaurant, despite objections by the franchise.[19"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          I do remember Macdonalds suing a guy whose NAME was Macdonald who had a fast food place named Macdonalds that started BEFORE mickyd's ever came to be. They sued him for using the macDonalds name of all things.

Go here.(Its a wiki)

"The company waged an unsuccessful 32-year legal action against McDonald's Family Restaurant which was opened by a man legally named Ronald McDonald in Fairbury, Illinois in 1956.[18] Mr. McDonald ultimately continued to use his name on his restaurant, despite objections by the franchise.[19"
                          So, that's where Coming to America go it's ideas.

Comment

Here for the home town story.

"Earl and Dorothy McDonald, Ron McDonald's parents, opened their Fairbury sit-down restaurant in 1956 in a rented, white-frame building on U.S. Highway 24, which is Fairbury's main drag. They had been in business 14 years, remodeling several times and expanding, when the first ominous letter arrived from the other McDonald's."

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              An internet poll is hardly the arbiter of even moderately good sense, enduring intelligence, nor is it a legally binding resolution. Boaty McBoatface would make a great Thomas the Train character...which is precisely why it SHOULDN'T be the name of a research vessel. This is why people can't have nice things. How many people REALLY thought that through that voted for it? By the results, I can only think none of them. Not even the guy that SUGGESTED it actually voted for it.

Seriously, would people still think "the people have spoken" and "its a betrayal of democracy" if the winning contender had been to call the ship the Himmler? Doubtful.

...but still hilarious.
                              Very true... but of course, it didn't end with Boaty...

Honestly, you couldn't make it up!
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X