OBGYN or Midwife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBGYN or Midwife

Alright ladies and gents who took have had children and interacted with doctors, I went had my first visit this past Monday and even though I really liked my doctor I wont be staying with her. I was informed at the end of the visit that even though they have an office in Appleton they only deliver in Green Bay and that's a 40 min drive from my house. There are two hospitals one in Appleton and one 20 mins north of Appleton that are closer. So now I'm on the hunt for a new doctor. I originally wanted to see a Nurse Midwife but KP is concerned about not having an "actual" doctor. Even though all midwives here have a bachelor's and master's degree hes still unsure. I have also informed him that if I become a high risk pregnancy that the Nurse Midwife will work alongside an OBGYN to make sure we are both safe and healthy. So do you have a preference? OBGYN or Nurse Midwife? Is one better then the other?
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: OBGYN or Midwife

I've had three children and I went with a doctor each time. However, that was mainly due to insurance and convenience. One of my friends had a midwife and one had an obgyn the first time and a midwife the second.

The only three things that matter are : Do you feel comfortable with the person? Do you trust them and feel you have honest communication? And are they medically qualified? If the answer is yes, then you'll be fine.

My first and third births were amazing because of the person I had delivering, the second time was horrible for the same reason.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Back in my day we didn't actually get a choice. You saw the midwife first, in the early stages, and some people were delivered by her. You did get to see the consultant - once, usually - and if there were any problems then he was called in. Otherwise it was the midwife and any junior doctors they could call.

That said, the care I had was brilliant, and when I needed the consultant, which was only the once, he was there.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'm not too sure how relevant my reply is going to be because of our different health systems. I went through the public system with my first used both Obstetrician and Midwives clinic. I never had to pay for either service and both were required because I think only the doctor is officially allowed to diagnose and talk set a management plan for medical conditions that may arise (eg gestational diabetes). I'm also fairly sure only the Dr can refer patients to sonographers. So, in Aussie land you need both, but our health system is really good so it's not expensive. However, I definitely found that the midwives offered much more relevant and helpful information. With my second pregnancy, I had considered hiring a midwife privately so that she could stay with me throughout my whole labour (in public system here, the midwives are with you for as much as possible but not all the time unless they're training a student. They are always there for the pushing stage). I decided against it due to the cost and also I have faith in the midwifery team at my hospital. Ideally, I'd love to have a water birth, but only two hospitals in my state cater for that and you have to be a resident in their city. You may have heaps of options open to you if you end up only needing a midwife (ie your pregnancy stays low risk). Have you considered any other ways of birthing apart from at the hospital? Also, here's a link I found that explains the different roles of the ante-natal team you will meet. KP might feel better if he knows why an obstetrician may not be crucial. http://birthchoices.raisingchildren....ife/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
          The only three things that matter are : Do you feel comfortable with the person? Do you trust them and feel you have honest communication? And are they medically qualified? If the answer is yes, then you'll be fine.
          So right! Communication and understanding is so crucial. At times with some of the midwives who were caring for me after my first was born, I felt they forgot this was a huge life change for me because it was just 'business as usual for them.' Very important to find someone who is patient focused.

Comment

I've only had high risk pregnancies, so I don't have any personal experience with midwives. I do have a family fiend that is a Certified Nurse Practitioner Midwife and if it had been an option (we were in the military when we had the kids), I would have loved to have her for the reasons Faye mentioned. The advantage of midwives is that it lessens the chance of unnecessary interventions, the disadvantage is that if there are complications tomato be too far along depending where you are to safely get help (in the case of a home birth, etc). A good compromise is a CNP-midwife at a birthing center attached to a hospital. If you do go the OBGYN route, get a doula--and make sure it's a doula that won't abandon you if you do end up need one interventions they don't always agree with...I've heard some horror stories from my doula. Also, the midwife/birthing center rout e will be easier on the pocket book.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

No way I could understand all the stuff that a woman goes through when pregnant. When my ex was having our first born(My son) she wanted a "Natural" birth" as in no pain stuff. First contraction and she screamed "give me the shot" Because I think she had an idea a natural birth was better in some way. I myself am all for pain control and good medical personal for giving birth. I was in the delivery room for both of our kids.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My daughter is using a doula. I'll let you know how that goes in a couple of weeks.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  My daughter is using a doula. I'll let you know how that goes in a couple of weeks.

Yes one of my daughters did that on both her pregnancies. She said it was fantastic!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Had to look that up,so kinda a midwife,but certified and trained.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

With my son we used a doctor, soley. When it came time to deliver she had to have by c-section as she would not diliate.

Comment

So the Midwife I am looking at has reformed c sections and if it comes to needing one will be in the room with me. She can and will give epidurals if they are requested. I am not really interested in an at home birth. My Mother had problems with both my brother and I so at a hospital/birthing center would be best. So the Midwives/OBBYN's all deliver at the hospital here in Appleton in case an emergency does arise and things need to happen fast. We have our first appointment with her May 11th and I will give KP the link you posted Azvanna. That might help him out. Corbin let me know how the Doula goes please. Anu midwives at least in the state of Wisconsin and have to have a bachelor's and a masters degree they are fully trained.
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Had to look that up,so kinda a midwife,but certified and trained.
                          Yes, Doulas are certified and trained, but not as much as midwife. I think the popularity with Doulas is that they are there to offer mainly emotional support and coaching. Doulas aren't qualified to adequately respond to health issues and complications, midwives are. However, a midwife's focus is sometimes more on the physiological side than the emotional well-being side. I think in labour and after, you really need someone there who's going to help you cope mentally and emotionally with what you're going through. That's a Doula's niche.

There's a table towards the bottom of the page that quickly compares and contrasts the differing roles.
                          Last edited by Azvanna; 25 Apr 2016, 18:32. Reason: Added link

Comment

And there is postpartum....my ex got a little of that,but bounced back pretty quick....I have heard some women have a VERY hard time with that.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                            X