Women could be headed for the draft, after House committee vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women could be headed for the draft, after House committee vote

This subject has come under scrutiny over time.
    The idea of women facing a draft,might end up being a debate,if so...put it into that place.

Story here.

How do you feel about this?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Women could be headed for the draft, after House committee vote

They need to dump the Draft.

Comment

I agree with that..no one should be forced to go to war..if you volunteer,that's your own choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing is,the guy who put it up,wanted to start a NO draft thing...was supposed to get people angry enough to do away with the draft completely

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Yeah, our all volunteer force is the strongest military the world has ever know. There is not an entity that matches. The Draft is archaic. Besides it being unethical I just don't see a use for it.

Comment

I agree, the draft needs to be done with.

However, if we "have" to have one, then women and men should both be registered.
          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Do away with the draft.
            It reminds me of an old Spike Milligan saying:

Join the army, travel to distant and exotic places.
            Meet interesting and exciting people,
            and then kill them'.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I think that for the foreseeable future, it's a moot point. Activating the draft is political suicide against likely enemies. Enemies dangerous enough to scare the US into supporting the draft are nuclear powers, both sides will be thoroughly wrecked before your drafted personnel finish training. I'm not opposed to extending the draft to women. I just don't think it'll matter. If the heavens get bored one day and make every nuclear weapon on the planet disappear in a puff of smoke then sure, the draft becomes relevant again. Till then, not so much.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

We should get rid of the draft all together.

But of we don't, women should have to register for selecting service too. At the very least women should be ALLOWED to register. Even if they might not want to volunteer for the military, there are women that would serve if the shtf...

Because, let's face it, instituting the draft is political suicide. It would have to be WW3 for anyone to jump on that grenade.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm against sending draftees into combat in general.

When we had it, I thought it wasn't fair that women were automatically exempt, especially because our draft gave you a choice between military service and social work in civilian society, and if you did choose the military, they weren't allowed to send draftees into war zones. You basically just drove trucks around parking lots and did drills all day (shocker that almost no one chose military service). When they finally decided that women could drive trucks around and tutor disadvantaged youths as well as men could, they figured that it was just too expensive anyway and cut the whole thing.

Anyway, I didn't know you still had the draft in the US. I don't think you should, but as long as it's there, women shouldn't be exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    Anyway, I didn't know you still had the draft in the US. I don't think you should, but as long as it's there, women shouldn't be exempt.
                    The US draft doesn't operate on the conscription/service scheme that I think you're comparing it to. It's generally dormant unless we need warm bodies in the military badly enough to activate it. At which point steps are taken to start calling in draftees. It has no real civil component because its entire purpose is to build up the military in emergency. Which is actually why I (and Thal seems to agree) find it pointless. Activating the draft is political suicide. It's been effectively relegated to the position of, "break glass and push button in event that hell gates open and demons invade" and all the scenarios where it might be used are gonna develop too quickly for it to help.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      The US draft doesn't operate on the conscription/service scheme that I think you're comparing it to. It's generally dormant unless we need warm bodies in the military badly enough to activate it. At which point steps are taken to start calling in draftees. It has no real civil component because its entire purpose is to build up the military in emergency. Which is actually why I (and Thal seems to agree) find it pointless. Activating the draft is political suicide. It's been effectively relegated to the position of, "break glass and push button in event that hell gates open and demons invade" and all the scenarios where it might be used are gonna develop too quickly for it to help.
                      I do know it's different. I've seen all of the Vietnam movies I just thought you didn't have it anymore.

I wasn't really comparing yours to ours. It's just that we had a similar debate a few years ago about women in conscripted service. I don't think it was just cut because it was too expensive to add women to the system. I think it also had to do with the fact that the Cold War has been over for over 20 years. Our conscription had a similar purpose in that the military wanted to have a ready body of people to defend the country in the event of an attack (which is why they were only posted domestically, along with the fact that Germany hasn't been able to go to war since WWII anyway). Since the only direct thread was the East and the Soviets, there wasn't much of a reason to keep it up.

Comment

Saying that we have the draft in the US is technically incorrect. What we have is more of a draft eligibility registration. Currently, when any one born male (dual citizen, illegal immigrant*, refugee, disabled individuals**, trans-women***, etc) is 18-25, they are supposed to register for the selective service.

From the selective service site: "It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical, and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces."

If you don't register, AFAIK, you are ineligible for citizenship (as an immigrant), federal financial aid for school, federal employment, and security clearances (required for some contractors), and some state benefits and jobs too... The only people that don't have to register are most veterans, active duty members, and people in prison or mental institutions (who have to register when they get out).

Also from the site (these I didn't know):

*"Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on a valid student or visitor visa, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, those seeking asylum, and refugees.

The Selective Service System has not now, or in the past, collected or shared any information which would indicate a man's immigration status, either documented or undocumented. Selective Service has no authority to collect such information, has no use for it, and it is irrelevant to the registration requirement. Consequently, there is no immigration data to share with anyone."

**"Disabled men who live at home must register with Selective Service if they can reasonably leave their homes and move about independently. A friend or relative may help a disabled man fill out the registration form if he can't do it himself. Men with disabilities that would disqualify them from military service still must register with Selective Service. Selective Service does not presently have authority to classify men, so even men with obvious handicaps must register now, and if needed, classifications would be determined later.*

***"Individuals who are born female and have a gender change are not required to register. U.S. citizens or immigrants who are born male and have a gender change are still required to register."

Taking that into context, hell yes men shouldn't be the only ones getting punished for being a habitual resident of the US between the ages of 18 and 26.

And with all that said, its no skin off my back if women have to register. I did my time. (OF course, I'm outside of the age window anyhow)

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Wait. First they don't want women in the military.
                          Then they let them in and they end up with a lot of sexual assault cases.
                          Now they say yup you GOT to be in.

Military men. Tantrum of the ages.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I hadn't even noticed that I'm over-age. Heh, I probably should've payed more attention but I was pretty much auto-registered (not entirely sure what agency did it but the Service has a quick verify that recognized my info on their site so it happened).

Comment

Mainly the draft came about because we had so MANY places we stayed after WW2...and had to have personal to cover them. and it continued into and through the cold war.
                              Part of that was our kind of aggressive stance on world politics,we being one of a few world super powers. After Russia crapped out,we ended up kind of becoming the world police,even if we did not want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              I hadn't even noticed that I'm over-age. Heh, I probably should've payed more attention but I was pretty much auto-registered (not entirely sure what agency did it but the Service has a quick verify that recognized my info on their site so it happened).
                              The cut off is/was 35 if you wondered.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this because one guy in the Navy was drafted when he was 34,they were nice enough to put him in the navy. was kinda sad because he had his life all set,good job,and all the things you hit at 30-40. He was a bit pissed at being drafted,but the rules were the rules.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X