Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new way to be robbed by cops

What the HECK!

This is outrageous and not something that should be going on in this country.

From the article (emphasis added):

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety has purchased Electronic Recovery and Access to Data machines for installation in Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Oklahoma City police cruisers, according to an Oklahoma Watch report published Tuesday. The device tells officers the balance of prepaid debit cards and gift cards, . ERAD readers also can provide limited information about pretty much any card with a magnetic strip, including bank debit cards and credit cards.
    Keep your cards in a metal wallet when traveling through Oklahoma. The cops are organized crime lords.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: A new way to be robbed by cops

How can that even happen? NOT Ok.

I'd say that it's a US issue, but I just looked into it and a lot of provinces in Canada legalized civil forfeiture in the 2000s (my own province did after I left, and I didn't know that until I looked it up because I don't live there anymore). And of course, there's strong evidence that provinces abuse it and use it to get some extra money (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29072771/)

I think that taking money from cards brings it to a whole new level, though.

Comment

Yeah - how can this be, in any way, justified? It's the kind of thing you'd expect in Bulgaria or something. This is just not acceptable in any way whatsoever!

Can you tell that I am angry???
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 10 Jun 2016, 04:05.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Except that Bulgaria is in the EU and the EU has really strict rules on the ability of member nations to seize property without a conviction.

Comment

It has beewn an issue even before if you had "To much cash on you",and now if you have a cash card that can take it only on supervision,and no proof or even conviction. Kinda just having a cash card is enough.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            Except that Bulgaria is in the EU and the EU has really strict rules on the ability of member nations to seize property without a conviction.
            Let me rephrase that - by Bulgarian organized crime

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            ...Kinda just having a cash card is enough.
            I bet being black doesn't hurt, either.

Comment

It's not shocking. Asset forfeiture has become increasingly popular and the police have consistently been on the wrong side of history. The function of the police has always been to enforce class divisions and it is a powerful tool in their arsenal.

Comment

Working...
              X