Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all connoisseurs of English. Help, I Need a Word!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all connoisseurs of English. Help, I Need a Word!

I've decided I'd like to divide my next book of shadows into different sections and I want the last section to be a collection of handy lists, tables and references. It will include things like the location of plants in my area, a list of local deities, recepies, home remedies and so on.

I can't think of what to call this section though and it's driving me mad. 'References' makes me think of a list of books and resources used in the compilation of a piece of writing (and I'd probably want to include a list of books in this section). 'Appendix' might work but feels like it's supplementary to the main text, which isn't my intention. 'Handy guides' or 'handy lists' comes to mind, but some entries won't be guides and they won't all be lists.

There must be another word or phrase that works. Something I'm missing. Any ideas?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Calling all connoisseurs of English. Help, I Need a Word!

That sure sounds like it's supplementary. Is there a reason you don't consider it that? Either it's a separate addition to enhance the whole or it is part of the whole, imo.
    Last edited by Denarius; 11 Jul 2016, 05:37.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Perhaps "annotated bibliography", or a personalized derivative thereof, depending on exactly what you plan to include.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Index; Handy Lists and Tables
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

codicil.

a part added at the end of a book or periodical <a codicil to the treaty was necessary to clarify certain provisos that had proved to be ambiguous> Synonyms afterword, appendix, addendum, excursus, supplementRelated Words coda, epilogue (also epilog), postlude; conclusion, ending, finale; accompaniment, addition, ...

Though mainly applied to an addition to a will,it might also apply here.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Maybe "further reading"?

Comment

Resources? ....And the rest? Miscellaneous? Things? (My personal favourite: everything can be labeled with "this", "that" or "things)
              baah.

Comment

I'd certainly consider that an appendix (really appendices)...Or, try Enclosure.

When I write manuals and such, my forms, references, SOPs, etc that I reference get added to the end and listed as Enclosure 1, 2, 3, etc or Appendix A, B, C

"References" is more for citations...Further reading is good for a list of additional (but not cited) sources, there's always Miscellaneous for randomness...
                Last edited by thalassa; 11 Jul 2016, 07:21.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I'd go for Postscript.

We knew someone who taught RE who, when he retired, called his house Postscript. And a former maths teacher who called his 'Aftermath.'
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                    X