Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runes

I'm quite surprised there isn't a thread about this already. Those of you that use runes, what ones do you use?
    I have been using the plain Ralph Blum pottery ones but never felt really comfortable with them. I don't like the feel of them in my hands. I've been meaning to replace them for a while and now my darling spawn has misplaced some it's time for a new set. I don't know what to have them made from. I don't want another set of pottery ones, or stone. I don't get on with wood as a medium either which leaves glass or crystal but there's a huge choice of crystals!

Re: Runes

I'm pretty sure there was one pre-crash, but good job starting it again. I don't read Runes, so I'll be reading this thread with interest

Comment

It's a hot subject for the Heathens... and also there is a reference link to the runes in the Heathen Q & A.
      We had a debate about the existence of the blank rune... which is of course never resolved with satisfaction.

This thread cannot be used only to Heathenry, cuz the Runes are use also by Druidry and Slavic Paganism.

Comment

I love using the runes - they remain my favourite method of divination. In the past I've made them from smooth pebbles, wood (though never pottery). I've burned in the runes, painted them, drawn them and even added my blood to the mix.

Although I started out using the Elder Futhark longest, in the past few years I find myself using the Anglo Saxon runes. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I find them quite fascinating... and of course you also have the AS rune poem to work with. (There is no poem that covers the whole of the Elder Futhark).

Personally I think it's important to try and get away from Ralph Blum's interpretations. There is so much more to them than you might think and the more you read them, the clearer they become. Yes, they're more symbolic than say, the Tarot, but they also have this way of seeping into the subconscious that is quite spectacular!

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My favorite set is hand painted onto small hematite stones - but they are difficult for some people to handle or even be around. I've also used polished river rocks, and wood burned pieces of wood. My daughter had a set of clay runes that she really liked, they are easy to make.

Have you considered making a set from antlers? My ex made some jewelry from shed deer antlers with runes engraved with a dremel tool. Very hard work to slice the antler into disks and then to drill the runes - but all that work might make them resonate especially well.
          ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
          - robert anton wilson -

Comment

I use a set of draconic runes, with some modification. I have befriended the one credited with their creation concerning my alterations (which came to me via meditation) and he's been supportive of them for my personal use. These have been painted on shark teeth till I can get a burning kit and burn them into the teeth. I am fond of the idea of using bone and well shark teeth can be likened to fangs while being big enough to carve on. They also have the triangular shape which seems to aide the runic set as noted by the creator and proved true in my trials (which were flash cards at first lol).
            -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
            (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

I love runes, I use clay ones though, and something doesn't feel right with them. I've been considering making my own.
              It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I made a few sets out of Fimo/Sculpey clay ... Was thinking about making a set from silver Precious Metal Clay (PMC) ... Made one set from wood with the runes burned in with a magnifying glass ... I think the suns energy adds to whatever you do ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=TaiganPagan link=topic=1391.msg28395#msg28395 date=1294926277]
                  We had a debate about the existence of the blank rune... which is of course never resolved with satisfaction.

[/quote]

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. What?
                  You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Let's not start this here... if you wanna debate this... go to the heathen section and start a thread.
                    The guy here just asked about the runes... I wanted to keep the answer simple and plain.

Comment

And then, of course, there are the Armanen Runes. I read Guido von LIst's book about them last summer.... it was quite fascinating and not at all what I had expected.

I think people often look at the runes and dismiss them out of hand because they are thought 'difficult' to read. Yet we accept all sorts of symbols in everyday life - think of traffic signs, or the 'power' symbol on electrical equipment.

Runes make highly effective amulets too.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I used the Ralph Blum runes, but not the interpretations. I think the book is sitting on a shelf somewhere gathering dust...
                        I've been thinking about trying some clear quartz ones but no idea where I'd get hold of some without ordering them online

Comment

I have a set of runes burned into wood. Runes probably were the first thing to hook me on pagan research, way back in middle school. I rented a book from the library on them. When I dated a pagan girl for the first time, she found I could read a bunch of her runic writings in her notebook. I can still read them pretty reliably, though I haven't used them much recently. To this day, I write things in code by mixing runic and Cyrillic. I also used them to divine for people at the Pagan student group booth at the university organization fair.
                          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X