Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacts or glasses?

Hey everyone,

This is probably a bit of a stupid question. I'm going to the optometrist today to get my testing done on my eyes and new glasses, but I was wondering if you all preferred contacts or glasses? The last time I had contacts I was in SC and I scratched my cornea due to my laziness of not taking out my contacts the night before (they weren't all the time wearable contacts). So I swore off contacts afterwards and I prefer wearing glasses. What's your preference?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Contacts or glasses?

My preference is being able to see. I prefer to wear glasses because they don't irritate my eyes. I hesitate putting anything foreign in my body, be it drugs, contact lenses or dermal patches. If someone wears contacts that is their business.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I use reading glasses now, my sight has corrected itself a bit. I used to need glasses all the time. When I was about 17 I tried contacts, but I could always feel them and my eyes got really irritated so I went back to glasses. So glasses, definitely. Cheaper too (at least here).
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I have always worn glasses. I did try contacts,but my eyes would never tolerate them. Glasses can be a pain sometimes,but I have worn glasses since the 4th grade,so very used to them.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I had glasses from the 2nd grade contacts from my freshman year until 2009, when I had surgery and now I have neither.

I had Lasik--I figured that getting it was equivalent to the cost of 7 years glasses and contacts, and used my tax return for it before I got out of the military as a cost saving measure. I always got both since there are times when contacts are inappropriate--contacts can worsen exposure during certain eye hazardous activities and times when glasses are more convenient--like a wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night emergency and times when contacts are more useful--like swimming or snorkeling (prescription masks and goggles get pricey). Also, contacts are great for sunglasses (prescription sun glasses add an expense as do transitional lenses which have that awkward transition time)...but, you can't swim without goggles with your eyes open without losing a contact. Breaking your glasses stinks...and so does loosing a contact.

Basically, they each have their pros and cons. But Lasik cost me (at the time I was active duty military, so I had a 40% discount) $3000 7 years ago (so its paid itself off) and gave me 20/20 vision back (actually my left eye is 20/15). Today, the cost is a little bit less--about $2000 per eye for the most advanced methods. I sometimes miss glasses or changing my eye color with contacts (my eyes are hazel, and the very slight tint on contacts so that you can find them and they aren't completely clear was enough to push them into green)--I rocked the sexy librarian look, but I can buy 20 gazillion pairs of dollar store sun glasses now AND not stick my finger in my eye every day.
          Last edited by thalassa; 19 Jul 2016, 10:55.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Glasses starting in 1st grade, contacts from 13-34. I had to have glaucoma surgery and couldn't wear them any more afterwards - back to glasses. I miss contacts - the full field of vision and nothing pressing on the bridge of my nose, etc., was great! I'm also antimetropic now (one eye nearsighted & the other farsighted) so one lens is heavier. Ugh.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'm thinking about doing Lasik if I ever get the money to do so. Until then, I am doing glasses. BTW, back from optometrist and my eyesight is still the same. Eyes are healthy thank the Lord and Lady.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I wore glasses from elementary school (I think I got them in like, 4th grade maybe?) all the way up to senior year of high school, when I started wearing contacts. They always were just a tad uncomfortable and awkward as I got older. The first few months of contacts took some adjusting, but overall it has helped a lot. Less migraines, easier time with cameras and computers, sunglasses, being able to see while at the hair dresser! I still have glasses for back up, such as if I don't feel like going out and driving, or I lose a contact, or when I'm tired and want to be able to nap throughout the day.
                ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I loathed glasses when I first got them. When contacts became an option I was ecstatic and used them for years, until they started royally irritating my eyes. Switched back to glasses for a few years but they kept getting in the way.

Short answer: I hate both. Got lasik at 21.

Comment

I mostly wear contacts as I love wearing sunglasses; I do wear glasses occasionaly though if my eyes start to act up and can't handle the contacts for a day or two. But since switching to acuvue oasys brand, that's a rare occurance now. I have those chunky geek type glasses, but in a dark purple instead of black, so sometimes I just wear them because I like the way they look too

Comment

I tried contacts, but my eyes are very deep-set, and getting them in was hard. My eyes are also very itchy in general, so I ended up popping them out. At that point, they'd be too raw from the 45 minutes it took to get them in in the first place. Glasses it is.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I understand that. After I scratched my cornea I was like no more. Scratching your cornea really hurts too. They gave me a really powerful shot to get rid of the pain. So I definitely stick with glasses.
                        Anubisa

Comment

I prefer contacts. I wear glasses due to cost.

Comment

Truthfully I'd say it depends upon your job and your vanity level.

Fire and rescue contact's don't do to well under the heat, face or oxygen masks I don't think. High dirt or grit environment's again contacts not something i'd want to have in my eyes when foreign objects can play havoc with your eyes and cause you to constantly be wiping them. Glasses where bad enough when working outside and lots of sweat running down into your eyes and burning them and constantly trying to wipe it away. Same with glare or bright sun light even when you have shades on and it comes in from the sides and you get those bright spikes that seem to blind you.

Vanity wise, that one I really can't speak on. Myself I wear glasses after working under UV lights for so many years. That's both short wave and long wave UV lights so can't tell you exactly which ones it was that did the damage though seem to recall its the long wave. Being in the Navy and wearing various breathing and face masks and fire and rescue with similar breathing and face mask issues glasses were the better option, especially what we called sub glasses with the flexible frames.
                            Last edited by monsno_leedra; 09 Aug 2016, 10:36.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

called sub glasses with the flexible frames. Are they like welding glasses? I have a pair I got while in,make for good sunglasses,real dark lenses. and flexible frames,better to not mush them
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X