Mike Rowe's Reply To Facebook Commenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Rowe's Reply To Facebook Commenter

I'm not sure yet on how I want to turn this into a discussion but reading this article about Mike Rowe's rebuttal to being equated to a racist was not only enjoyable, but very thought provoking. He raises awareness to several issues we face on a daily basis, and also helped me understand much better what logical fallacies are. For your reading pleasure, I present: http://www.dailywire.com/news/20129/...emily-zanotti#

PS: I am aware this article is several months old now but the issues he talks about are still present and relevant.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Mike Rowe's Reply To Facebook Commenter

I sometimes think I will loose my mind when I read things in news opinion articles, or in random places on the internet because the common logical fallacies sprout up like bread mold.

I think people ought to be aware of (at least): slippery slope (start with X and you will end up with Y), hasty generalization (drawing a conclusion with insufficient data), correlation/cause confusion (post hoc ergo propter hoc), straw man (attack the person, rather than the idea expressed by the person), ad populum (attaching positive or negative concepts to other concepts "If you were a real American, you would hate French people), appeal to nature (what is natural is good, what is unnatural is bad) and the flavorful red herring.

P.S. - I will be using that article in my Journalism class. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Oct 2017, 07:19.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Mike Rowe's Reply To Facebook Commenter

Wasn't it a fun read? I love how eloquent and thoughtful Mike Rowe is.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
      X