Tech Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Thread

So...if anyone has any geeky hardware reviews or questions, I thought I'd make a thread for it...mainly because I want to know if anyone has ever heard of this nifty looking little thing.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Tech Thread

I have a dilemma ... Here at work we have a Point-Of-Sale cash register and bar code system ... We are changing computers ... We have a main in the office, 2 others at the cashier stations and one for doing encoding and printing bar code labels ... All networked together using Win XP Home ... LOL ... Now the owner went out and got a new computer with 7 on it ... There seems to be an inability for the new one to communicate with the others ... GRRRRRRRR ... IS this fixable or is it just gonna be like a Scot trying to talk to an Ozzie? ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

From Experience, Win XP Home (spit) doesn't play well with NT based networks, which W7 is based upon. XP Pro would work better, we used that config at work and it seems stable enough as far as Windows goes. XP Home is aimed at simple home networks that don't run servers, these are more workgroups than networks per se.

Unfortunately, the options you really have is downgrade the W7, or upgrade the other PCs to XP Pro, or better.

I can't think of any other way, unfortunately, i never got my Wife's XP Home pc to work with my Pro on a network :S

M
      In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1454.msg30750#msg30750 date=1296066788]
        So...if anyone has any geeky hardware reviews or questions, I thought I'd make a thread for it...mainly because I want to know if anyone has ever heard of this nifty looking little thing.
        [/quote]

I found a review for it on Engaget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/12/e...e-edge-review/ Doesn't exactly say positive things. I think it looks pretty nif, but I'm always wary about e-paper. It hasn't really been perfected enough for me to enjoy the experience. I find it slow, and the lack of contrast makes it hard for me to read. On the other hand, it runs Linux, which means it could be customisable. That is most definitely appealing.

Comment

WOO HOO ... Got it fingered out ... Put program in "library" of 7 ... Then it is available for whole network to use ... I hate networks ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
          X