When did vampires become sexy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did vampires become sexy?

So I'm reading "Dracula's guest" by Bram Stoker (basically a part of the original Dracula that got cut for length when it was first published.) and it got me thinking, when did vampires actually become sex symbols and heart throbs?
    Dracula isn't exactly sexy. He's charming when he wants to be, but he's still 100% a predator. From what I remember of the original book, he has no sex appeal, nor any interest in that. it's all about feeding.
    If you look back further in mythology, vampires are vile creatures, often both hideous and unintelligent. That's really kind of a jump from monsters to... well, twilight and anne rice.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Re: When did vampires become sexy?

i never got this reading the original book,creepy yes,sexy no way
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
      So I'm reading "Dracula's guest" by Bram Stoker (basically a part of the original Dracula that got cut for length when it was first published.) and it got me thinking, when did vampires actually become sex symbols and heart throbs?
      Dracula isn't exactly sexy. He's charming when he wants to be, but he's still 100% a predator. From what I remember of the original book, he has no sex appeal, nor any interest in that. it's all about feeding.
      If you look back further in mythology, vampires are vile creatures, often both hideous and unintelligent. That's really kind of a jump from monsters to... well, twilight and anne rice.
      IIRC, the alluring vamps in Stoker's work were Dracula's wives but I haven't read the relevant scene in a few years.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

To answer your question Vampire became sexy when the Twlight book series was released.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          IIRC, the alluring vamps in Stoker's work were Dracula's wives but I haven't read the relevant scene in a few years.
          I don't remember the specifics of that either, but yea the sisters were seductive. Still not exactly the way they are now. I'm.pretty sure Stoker would have died laughing if you told him Dracula was gonna be a love interest.
          I really am interested in when they became what they are now. Or why.

Bart. Lestat was around before anyone even thought of twilight.
          Last edited by iris; 23 Feb 2019, 13:32.
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

i think ann rice created the sexy vamp,she also did a kind of s/m book too, that was shocking to me personelly

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              i think ann rice created the sexy vamp,she also did a kind of s/m book too, that was shocking to me personelly
              She might have in the sense we have them now. I'm curious if there's anything before that.

The sleeping beauty books yea xD I read one of them. That was something. But not safe to discuss here.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

yes very hard for my personal taste in reading.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                  I don't remember the specifics of that either, but yea the sisters were seductive. Still not exactly the way they are now. I'm.pretty sure Stoker would have died laughing if you told him Dracula was gonna be a love interest.
                  I really am interested in when they became what they are now. Or why.

Bart. Lestat was around before anyone even thought of twilight.
                  I'm a little familiar of Lestat.

Comment

As with all weird sexual things in society, it can get pinpointed to the Victorian age. =P https://www.bustle.com/p/heres-how-t...nster-12083525 This is a great breakdown of it. If you don't want to read the article, basically this guy wrote a vampire novel basing the vampire on Lord Byron, then shortly afterwards Carmilla was published. https://www.bustle.com/p/heres-how-t...nster-12083525

And then a quote:
                    I mean, yes, they are taboo-breaking "bad boys," and they do tend to represent unbridled lust and/or socially "unconventional" desires, and all of those things are deeply sexy to some people. But also, once we hit the middle of the 20th Century, women started writing about vampires. Specifically, women started subverting the classic vampire tropes.
                    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                      As with all weird sexual things in society, it can get pinpointed to the Victorian age. =P https://www.bustle.com/p/heres-how-t...nster-12083525 This is a great breakdown of it. If you don't want to read the article, basically this guy wrote a vampire novel basing the vampire on Lord Byron, then shortly afterwards Carmilla was published. https://www.bustle.com/p/heres-how-t...nster-12083525

And then a quote:
                      I was just reading the same article Gotta read those some time.
                      Also saw someone saying the softer, human vampire type probably started around "Dark Shadows", I've never seen that show tough.
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

dark shadows was on when i was a kid used to watch it when i was home at lunch with my mom. the school was close to where we lived i could walk home for lunch

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I used to watch Dark Shadows, too. Barnabas (the vampire) was depicted as basically having a good heart.

I have a little fiction-crush on Matthew, the vampire in A Discovery Of Witches.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Only since Lestat and Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned
                            whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

Working...
                            X