Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My job is getting slashed in a couple months...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My job is getting slashed in a couple months...

...and my boss didn't think I was important enough to bother informing me of it.

So I got to work today, and my coworker told me to check my email. Sitting in my inbox was a little note from my boss containing the usual, insincere, copy-pasted "your contributions were appreciated" blurb. They're "restructuring" my position, and as such, everyone in my position (myself and one other) are being terminated in June. As my coworker is leaving in May anyway, that just leaves me.

Apparently my boss announced this completely out of the blue in the morning meeting today. My supervisor didn't even know about it before the meeting. The entire department was informed...except me. I got the equivalent of a text-message breakup a little later, with a little two paragraph email. I wasn't even given the dignity of a face-to-face meeting. What can I say, my boss is a classy lady.

Add to all of this the fact that we just got done (mostly) meeting one of the unreasonable demands she's become famous for, and I'm especially bitter. She assigned myself and one other person 1,000 man hours (this is the actual number, not an estimate) worth of work, to be done in under a week. We have 40 hours per week PUT TOGETHER. The other ten people in my department pitched in, and we (quietly) ditched part of her very specific and unreasonable process to make everything faster, and we got it done just barely on time. This was also extremely filthy work that was incredibly unhygenic.

So we get his done against all the odds, and instead of a "Wow guys, thanks for getting that done so promptly!" we get "Yeah, your positions are getting the axe. Go sodomize yourself with a rusty spatula." I mean, I'm used to being degraded and treated with no respect whatsoever as an intern. I don't get too angry over that. But, you're cutting the job I rely on to pay my bills (with the reasoning "It's an internship, not a part-time job" even though it's always traditionally functioned as a part-time job to get people through college) and the lack of professionalism in handling it simply doesn't fly. At least tell me, to my face, before you inform the rest of the department in a meeting. Seriously.

Of course, after all this sank in, I got a little mad. By "a little mad", I mean that a mass of burning hatred and rage condensed into a spinning singularity of pure malice in my brain. I actually gave myself a headache within 1 to 2 minutes from the blood pressure spike. It's a good thing I spent the latter half of the day alone for the most part, or I'd probably be in the slammer for homicide right now.

She's basically treated everyone like shit since she got hired. She's stunningly incompetent as well as ignorant of what it actually takes to do what we do. She's a terrible manager of people and has no personality whatsoever. The only thing she can do is spin a corporate line, and that's about it. She knows it, too, because the last couple of people to criticize her in any way were suddenly found to have breached their terms of employment and were immediately fired. Imagine that.

I had a bunch more of her negative qualities all lined up to put out there, but I don't think anyone wants to read about me bitching about the bitch (see what I did there?), so I'll leave it at that. I mean, maybe I'm overreacting, Maybe this is perfectly OK and normal; I suspect not, though.

Pic related: Me, a few hours ago
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -

Re: My job is getting slashed in a couple months...

Why is it that those people that are least suited to manage always seem to be found in a position of power?

Just another facet of my motion to decriminalize post-partum abortions.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Yeah, I mean everybody basically has to work AROUND her to get anything done, but the slightest bit of criticism towards her means you're not getting a raise, EVER. Not even an adjustment for inflation. It's absolutely mind boggling.
      "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
      -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
      without his weapons of war;
      for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
      of a spear on the way without.
      -

Comment

That almost sounds like my previous job. Add in religious discrimination, creative discharge (tried to set it up so I was a "no call, no show" so they could fire me), and office politics and wow! I'm sorry you got screwed over like that.

Maybe you'll find solace like I have with my old job: they are now getting sued for religious and racial discrimination that followed a similar pattern to mine.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

That totally blows! I'm sorry to hear that, Thjoth
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

That sucks to have to deal with people like that. I have had a very passive aggessive boss before who told me on my 'last day' that it was my 'last day'....lol. Granted I was seasonal staff, but.....I mean, come on! I feel your pain....BUT, just think of her actions as an opportunity for you -- some day you can look back and thank her for doing this because you will be exactly where you should be and happy!
            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Really sorry to hear about this - and not surprised at how you feel. I think I would be unable to feed myself by now in your position.

I really hope you find something better - so that one day you are able to meet up again and she's cleaning toilets or something like that (no offence to any lavatory cleaners who may be reading this, by the way.) Alternatively you could always get your longboat out and go and launch a raid on the office...

Not sure whether you've ever been a fan of Monty Python but if you google 'The Crimson permanent Assurance' on Youtube I think it might give you a few ideas....

Best of luck!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Sorry to hear this is happening to you, i have been in similar situations a couple of times with previous roles, but eventually somethig works out for the better. It just doesn't feel like it at the moment
                Hope things work out and get better for you though, and at least you have a couple of months to look for work as well.
                M
                In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

I replied to this threat before but then the forum went down for a bit...

I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope you get a new opportunity soon, and that it's a better one with less hassle

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about this and I hope you find something better too! I really hate when bosses pull shady tricks like this and then don't have the decency to at least address it in person. My personal favorite was my boss who promised I'd have a job after my surgery, except when things went horribly awry and my recovery time doubled, there suddenly were "no hours" available for me to work on the payroll when I got back and I was forced to resign because I hadn't made any money in a month. If you have an issue, at least have the courtesy to tell me about it and let me go properly! I'd rather have been fired than played the games. But alas, some bosses are cowardly people and poor leaders...

I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

hopefully this might turn into a good thing, and you find something better...
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh, dear, Thjoth

I hope everything works out for you! Job vibes coming your way!
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Best of luck to you! I've had that rug pulled out from under me several times in life and, in retrospect, it was always a blessing in disguise. Something better is waiting for you to discover it. Times of transition are always difficult, dark & scary.....but that's how you get your wings. So says the butterfly, anyway.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Wow she sounds like the bestest boss in the whole wide hell. Hope you find something ten times better.
                            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Working...
                            X