The job application thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The job application thread

For anyone that wants advice about applications, needs some support, wants to share or just wants to vent frustration at the process.

I've been casually looking for a while, but I've realized it's time to be a grown up and with Berlin having some of the highest unemployment in Berlin, I'm going to have to try harder. So right now I'm lost in a sea of job sites looking for student jobs, and brushing up on the formal German application system, re-doing my German resume (and considering overhauling my English one), and working on a cover letter template in German that can be used and save me time (because writing in formal German isn't my strong point) but also still manage to look somewhat individual when I use it.

Ideally I want a work experience job in marketing, but I'll take anything I can get that's halfways decent. I've decided I can't work more than 20 hours a week, but luckily due to health insurance laws (you get cheap health insurance as a student) you're not allowed to work more than that anyway.

Re: The job application thread

Would you take advice from somebody who has been looking for a job for ages?
    When you check out the ads, try looking at how often the company has published the same ad for the position (here in job sites you can do that). If put more than 4 times, the job is probably not worth it or there is something wrong with the boss.
    When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Comment

^^
      Totally good advice! There's a place near me that's always posting ads for various positions and I avoid it for that reason. I figure that if they're looking for people that often, they can't be good to work for.

Comment

percentage-wise, i have had much more success with classified adds in nwspapes rather than online applications. that is for a few reasons, including that it is specified for my area, and i can talk t someone over the phone (i have some skills ith the spoken word and do well talking off the cuff). also, internet applicatiosn are very easy to be lost in the general mess of things, so if you DO use internet then make sure some part of the application stands out. for example, when i was applying for a job at a university i made the entire cover letter in alliteration. the only reason why i didnt get the job (i even went back for a second inteview) ultimatly came down to other people having more experience than me.

also, keep it one page. no one likes going through a book of your accomplishments. sort through the most awesome things and have that as the main part of the page

Comment

Oh, and something else - in your CV keep the highest education on top. For example start with college/uni instead of starting with primary school. The people who are to read it may just look at the first you have put there and not read any longer.
          At an interview - never exaggerate. If you don't know something, say you don't know it, but you learn fast. Honesty is a good thing (oh well, not if your boss looks like crap and you tell them ).
          Do not dress too much or too less - try a knee long skirt and a nice shirt - it works everywhere, trust me, been there, done it all.
          When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Comment

[quote author=CabbageTheif link=topic=211.msg2839#msg2839 date=1287106095]

also, keep it one page. no one likes going through a book of your accomplishments. sort through the most awesome things and have that as the main part of the page
            [/quote]

Largely cultural though. In Germany they want to know more about you (more than I usually want to say...I don't think that my birthday and photo make a difference of how I can do a job, and there is a big movement to abolish requesting this, which I support fully), and an application is either written or emailed normally (unless it's bar work) because it has to include a cover letter, detailed resume, and copies of written recommendations, diplomas, etc.

I'm trying to trim mine down though, by making detailed resumes rather than one general one. Like a resume for marketing/office jobs that I'm hoping to get that's more focused on my education and writing background, and another for the artistic stuff that I do that's more focused on that stuff, and a more retail-focused one (though I'd rather not work retail again if I can help it, but at 14% unemployment I might not have a choice especially since I'm a TERRIBLE waitress and will never get a job doing that).

Comment

When you submit a job application, how long should I wait before I call them? And in between calling them? Yeah I know, I did this before. Though I still wonder if I might be annoying them into not hiring me haha
              I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
              I became Abdishtar this spring.
              Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

[quote author=spartacandream link=topic=211.msg3515#msg3515 date=1287258151]
                When you submit a job application, how long should I wait before I call them? And in between calling them? Yeah I know, I did this before. Though I still wonder if I might be annoying them into not hiring me haha
                [/quote]

I have had experience in both ends of this.
                As a store manager for many years, I did all the hiring. I am well versed in what an employer is looking for. I have a good amount of knowledge in filling out the app and follow up and interviewing.

As an unemployed person for 3 month, I also know the ins and outs of application process, job searched (all have been found online) and the such.

First, when handing in your app, ask the person (ask to hand it to the actual person hiring for some face time) when would be a good idea to check back.

If that's already too late. Call in a week. Tell them your name and that you were checking on the status of your application. And if the position has been filled yet.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I got yelled at once for calling to check on an application... took me 4 calls on 4 different days to get a hold of the hiring manager... He gets on the phone and yells at me saying "If we're going to hire you we will call you!" I responded with "never mind I don't think I want to work for you anyway"
                  "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=211.msg3665#msg3665 date=1287286493]
                    I got yelled at once for calling to check on an application... took me 4 calls on 4 different days to get a hold of the hiring manager... He gets on the phone and yells at me saying "If we're going to hire you we will call you!" I responded with "never mind I don't think I want to work for you anyway"
                    [/quote]
                    Oh yeah, I've been there too. When you turn it in also ask when is a good time to call? Never call on Monday morning. That's when the work week starts. And managers are FULL of all the stuff everyone else is calling them about. And don't call on Friday or the weekend. It's all about the customer at that point. Tues morning is good. Find out when the company or store opens. And call mid morning/early afternoon. Usually if you call in the am first thing, they are alone with no other manager on duty and can't help you. Or call after lunch time.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I've mostly just done my resume in English and have been using that, but I'm doing a German one as well and I'm having a few issues with it. First off, half of it is still in English anyway, because the departments and programs I was in in Canada are in English and I think it's easier if I leave it with their actual names? Then if they want to google these programs they can do it faster?
                      Also, Germany is kind of in a flux right now with what info is "acceptable" for resumes. Like, I've chosen not to include my picture and birthdate, and I'm more comfortable not including these things, but it's kind of still iffy if I should. Traditionally, you include this stuff, but we're on the verge of having it be illegal to request this info. I also think it's kind of none of their business. I guess I'd rather work for a company that shares my values on this anyway.

Also, it seems standard to put ALL your schooling on it, but do I -really- need to include my elementary school? Really? I'm just thinking it takes up too much space, as I've already done more university than most people and I have more job experience at my age than the average German (as Germans don't tend to do high school jobs...heck I've moved around and worked so much I even cut that out). And it's not like we just have elementary school...it's that, middle school, high school....I just put high school but I don't know.

I don't want it to be too long, but I don't want to leave out info they might want either. But I guess I just don't see how it's relevant?

Comment

I need a job but everywhere here in southampton keeps saying no cos I want to go home to Birmingham for christmas >

Comment

[quote author=Sin link=topic=211.msg14302#msg14302 date=1290019617]
                          I need a job but everywhere here in southampton keeps saying no cos I want to go home to Birmingham for christmas >
                          [/quote]

Probably cause there needing holiday help and employees who have been there longer get to take christmas off. Just guessing though each place could have a different reason.

On anoter note my last job i used snagajob.com and I recieved alot of calls for interviews. This is after handing in numerous paper applications. I never thought that site worked but it helped me out alot.

Comment

[quote author=Sin link=topic=211.msg14302#msg14302 date=1290019617]
                            [/quote]

That really sucks Maybe you can find somewhere that hires more people that live there that are in town for the holidays anyway? When I worked retail in Canada I worked at a store and everyone else was from Nanaimo (the town my uni was in) but since I was from up-Island I got Christmas off and worked New Years eve instead.

Comment

I didn't finish my fine arts degree but I only have 11 hours left and all my art/design credits were met. How can I get a good job in art without finishing those 11 hours. I can't afford to go back to school. How would I word it?
                              If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                              --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

Working...
                              X