Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For a New Job

But don't know where to start.

I need a new job because this one feels tainted and I am having a really hard time being taken seriously. There is so much bitching goes on and back-stabbing and frankly I'm not the best at my job.

Practice stuff and me are not good. I have discovered over the last few years that common sense questions baffle me, I just don't think with that side of my brain at all. I am also finding out traits about myself that I really don't like working there. Like I'm a little bit racist. I caught myself in the middle of a sentence the other day that horrified me! There are other problems too but that is neither here nor there.

I'm not sure where to start with looking for a new job which I still have this one. I want a job that is more related to art since that is what I want to do for a living, or at least something that is more to do with that side of my brain since that is what I am good at.
    If I had the money (and a car) I would start my own face painting business because I am good at that. Love the kids and love to face-paint but I don't know how I would start that either.

Some general advice please? X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: Looking For a New Job

Hmmm. So you want something creative I guess. Have you tried art shops to see if they are hiring? Or maybe something more of like music shops. Maybe museum docents? Art classes for kids? Oh...facepainting....

You can try going to local party supply shops and see if they have references to kid things. OR try libraries, malls. Places children would be. Call event planners too. They may always need to find someone to do facepaint for a birthday party.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I would suggest going to the job centre but we all know how wonderfully helpful they are *sarcasm*. I would start by looking online chick, directgov website, totaljobs, jobstoday, maybe searching for an agency that deals with creative jobs? As for the facepainting, how about looking at places that deal with or host children's parties? Like here we have wacky warehouses and things like just for kids. Or look for companies that organise children's parties in your area? Like childrens' entertainers. When i'm on the computer i'll have a gander to see if i can find you some links. Good luck with the job hunt chick, i know how hard it is xx

Comment

That's a great idea, I didn't even think about local libraries and things like that.

I have tried the local art shop, they have a list a mile long of people wanting a job, which is gutting. I have sent in an application forum for volunteer work at the museum of modern art in Glasgow. I'm waiting for my interview date to be finalized, so that will be some experience I can use. I'm not planning to leave my current job till I have another one but the faster it happens the better!

I need something satisfying! Not dreary and shite.
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

the way you described your job I was wondering if I work with you and never noticed.... the place I work for makes hitler look like a saint....

okay maybe not that bad, but its gettin there.
          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Part of what I'm going to cite comes from my music critic days, but much of what you'll want to do overlaps and remains the same regardless of the art.

First, create a portfolio. I did this by combining all of my reviews onto one website and made it clear and easy to access in the archives. I also made the presentation simple yet reflective of the DIY scene, in which most of my bands participated.

Next, network. Like Medusa and Almost said find out who does what in those fields. Talk to them, make it as professional as possible, and have your portfolio ready (when I was a contributing writer for an online magazine I introduced myself, cited my experience, and linked to my website). I kept in contact with bands I reviewed and contacted them once the review was up. If it was a good review they posted it and linked back to my site. They were really inclined to do it since it's free publicity for the both of us. It also helped many were local because then we kept in contact with each other and I would have more updated reviews of said band.

A few things to remember:

Keep up networking and updating your profile. The more your work and face is out there, the more people remember. Trust me on this one--random people I had never met approached me to review XYZ because of how known my face and name were. Also the more current your work is the more people will see you take it seriously.

Even though you are looking to do more artistic stuff you will need a resume with some people. Have one handy and treat it like any other resume.

You will most likely freelance, which has many rewards. It also has many drawbacks. The biggest one is you're in business for yourself, even if it's just a hobby like mine was. You must find a way to present your name and work that reflects everything about it. In other words, you are also your own marketing consultant.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Are you actually IN a city? Or can get into one? Because if you are there are probably a number of art galleries you could apply at?

Are there any events you could work at, like concerts and stuff?

Comment

I'm bang between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have applied to volunteer at art museums, which the opportunity to get a permanent position after that. X

Comment

It would be great for you because even if they didn't have the resources to employ you at the time, you could make good contacts!

Comment

Some great advice, Caelia! I will be using some if it, myself! Thanks!
                    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

My best advice is not to get too caught up in what you "think" you want to do. The job I have is NOTHING like I thought I'd like, but most days it's fun and finally make enough money to feel like it's worth the effort. I'm taken seriously and highly appreciated. But if someone had told me I'd even be good at this job? I would never have believed them.

I also keep in mind a friend of mine who was also an artist, as both you and I are. She went to school for graphic art and got a job using her skills. And she never, never paints anymore. She has no desire to do anything artistic for herself. I'd rather save my powerful creativity for me and use the smaller part for my job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                        My best advice is not to get too caught up in what you "think" you want to do. The job I have is NOTHING like I thought I'd like, but most days it's fun and finally make enough money to feel like it's worth the effort. I'm taken seriously and highly appreciated. But if someone had told me I'd even be good at this job? I would never have believed them.

I also keep in mind a friend of mine who was also an artist, as both you and I are. She went to school for graphic art and got a job using her skills. And she never, never paints anymore. She has no desire to do anything artistic for herself. I'd rather save my powerful creativity for me and use the smaller part for my job.
                        That is true, I don't want to lose my drive for art by doing something that makes me do a certain type of art all day. That doesn't appeal at all. But I want something that actually entices me, and where I will be valued rather than kept about because someone has to take the shit. I need to feel fulfilled in what I am doing, or I will have no confidence in it, cock up and hate doing it.
                        Actually I'm probably a nightmare to employ because of this. I should just be self-employed... x

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

Yeah this is true! I major in business now, but it's my third stab at university and I NEVER thought I would major in that when I was younger! I did creative writing just after high school, then transferred to do music. I finished that and was a singer for a while but then quit (total quarter life crisis, long story). Now I sing again but I am more interested in doing that part time, for me. I study marketing and want a job in creative industries (right now I'm working for an art website), something like art or music (which I think is realistic, given my background!) Long story short, you never know where life may take you, and if you're a creative type there are more jobs out there for you than ever before!

Also, networking is so key. Remember when you're studying, socializing, doing work experience....keep your contacts and keep in some sort of touch with them! Creative work is sooooo social and you never know who can be helpful later.
                          Last edited by DanieMarie; 13 Feb 2011, 12:42. Reason: Don't know how I managed that one!

Comment

Well I have volunteered to do art therapy work at the strathcarron hospice (which is where people with terminal illnesses go) as well as working at Race for Life this year.

Trying to do loads of volunteering stuff and fill up my time so that when I do take the big leap (in the next week or so) and quit my job I have loads of stuff to do. I also have an art commission on the go just now which will give me a little bit of money if not a lot. X

Comment

Working...
                            X