Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Domino Effect (started by Tunisia, Egypt and now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Domino Effect (started by Tunisia, Egypt and now...

Iran.

Is it a good thing that the people are standing up and removing the dictators without our "help" (us being the USA and UK)?

I'd like to think so. Currently it is all to do with the people and they are the ones fighting for the right to fix their countries government, on there own. The only thing that worries me is that in these countries there will be a power vacuum and it will fall into anarchy. Not so much in Egypt at the moment, they are still high on the success of the protests, but in Tunisia and other places.

How do you feel about what is happening in the world right now? Good thing or bad thing?

PS. This is what is going on in Iran just now. On Question Time it was suggested that this is them starting to do the same thing as Tunisia and Egypt. See link below.
    Reports from Iran say several opposition activists have been arrested and international news channels are being jammed.
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: The Domino Effect (started by Tunisia, Egypt and now...

I think the events in Egypt over the last 2-3 weeks have given the other countries that might follow suit the chance to prepare the for people protesting. Iran have already started scrambling international based TV to stop the people seeing what has happened to Egypt. They have also taken steps to stop the protests as well. Same with other Gulf States like Qatar and to some degree Saudi Arabia too.
    We will have to see what plays out next, if the people in Iran, Qatar or Saudi will protest no matter what, or whether the governments have done enough to curb the protests in time.
    Unfortunately, we have seen what can happen when there is a power vacuum, We have created them in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only do you get rampant corruption, you get extremism and sectarianism as well.
    Egypt strikes me as a little more stable than that, so hopefully the Army council that have taken the reigns will begin the process of elections, and not replace one "Dictator" with another. (i don't know whether Mubarak was a dictator, that is how he has been portrayed in the media over the last 2 weeks)

M
    In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

How do i feel about what is happening?
      I feel anxious.
      It looks like a powder keg about to explode.
      I would hate to see the loss of any innocent lives.
      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

As far as Iran is concerned, it's about time. Anyone who has researched its leadership and the situation there will likely agree. Those people just needed an excuse to stand up and say "crazy man get out."
        Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

The last time there was a truly "new" culture emerging, and a revolution taking place, in the USA, was in the 1960's. Suddenly LSD and other serious psychoactive drugs appeared on the scene, and the masses were quieted. Wonder how that all got choreographed?
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Cheerful aren't you Hawk? :P x
            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Is your question how do we feel about what is going on? Or how do we feel about there not being any interference from the west? (not sure what the west has to do with the situation, tbh)

Personally, I'm thrilled. I pray and hope the loss of life will be minimal, but this is a very exciting time! Also, it seems the people are more than capable of filling the 'vacuum' that you are perceiving.

As an aside, it's interesting that, as Maulus pointed out, where there is 'help' by the west, there are vacuums -- iraq/afghanistan .......something to think about....
              Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                Cheerful aren't you Hawk? :P x
                LOL Actually I am a very cheerful person. I just think a lot of weird things about the big picture, I guess.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Egypts government has been suspended by the army and a 6 month plan written up to make the new government as stable as possible. Or so says the bbc news! X

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                    Iran.
                    Is it a good thing that the people are standing up and removing the dictators without our "help" (us being the USA and UK)?
                    I think that is a very good thing, for ALL parties involved. We would rather have our own 'dictator' than be invaded by an outside force. I never thought I'd hear people say this, but lots of people in Iraq say they were better off at the time of Saddam Hussein.

I believe Egypt set a great example of how a peaceful and civilized revolution can change a whole nation, although we were attacked by all kinds of violence. And the thing is, lots of nations in the region look up to Egypt. Just look at how many people in other countries celebrated what Egyptians have accomplished. For that reason I do believe lots of things are going to change. Actually, lots of things already changed.

I'm not saying you'll have a revolution in every country, but governments are going to pay more attention to their people now. Mubarak, and although of the great things he did for this country in the past, was backed up by America itself and still he was no match to the power of Egyptians. And lots of us tried to make it clear that we do not want to see anyone outside of Egypt involved in this. Not America, and not even Iran. I don't wish to see Egypt turn into another Iraq.

I think this video really sums up what I want to say:

[4:82]

Comment

I'm against oppressive dictators, but if the people of that country want to take an active role in removing that dictator over an outside force doing so, I think it goes over a lot better. I think people really resent outside forces getting involved in their business but if it's there choice, they feel they have more of a role in their country's future.

Historically, this can go over well, or poorly. The USSR was a failed experiment of sorts, but other countries have managed to stabilize and have some decent, democratic leadership. And while historically there are cases such as Germany, in which other countries got involved, this is a case of a country not entirely different (culturally) than those who fought against the regimes. I feel that this is a strong historical example (and I bring it up because people often cite it when talking about why western countries should get involved in these sorts of situations) because though it was successful, many of the allies occupying Germany (other than the US) post-war were ones with strong historical ties with Germany (though often confrontational, not always), and though the culture is different, it's not so different as, say, the US and Afghanistan.

Comment

i have heard there are now protests going on in Algiers, Algeria. Looks like this could be kicking off there as well. If it does, this oculd cause a bigger problem as both Tunisia and Algiers not only border each other, but Libya too. With algeria and Tunisia in an unstable state, this could cause issues in Libya ( a very wealthy country, as they have a lot of oil wealth that Tunisia is quite jealous of)

Will have to keep eyes on this, it may just be a storm in a teacup in Algeria...

M
                        In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Yup! It is most certainly having an effect. I think most governments are now freaking out. Power to the people! X

Comment

For some reason, when I keep reading this thread, I keep envisioning the end of Return of the Jedi....

Comment

Things are alot worse in Libya. Though, it's just a matter of time before the 'government' falls there. I just wonder how many people have to die before this happens...
                              [4:82]

Comment

Working...
                              X