Sabbats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabbats

I am still a newbie and I know this might be a silly question but I was wondering if you don't follow a certain pagan path do you have to celebrate all the sabbats and esbats? Oh another question can you celebrate other days that have special meaning to you.
    "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." -- Ken Keyes Jr.

Re: Sabbats

No you don't. As a Heathen I'm still a Pagan but we technically don't do any of the Sabbats although some look superficially similar (Yule for example). It depends entirely on the type of paganism you practice which holidays you celebrate. I would imagine if the 'wheel of the year' were important to you it would be better not to leave a gap in it, but there are plenty of Pagans who don't follow the wheel of the year pattern of celebrations. Lots of Pagans and Heathens mark Armastice Day (Nov 11th) and it's clear from the Valentines Day thread that some Pagans use that as an opportunity to celebrate the love in their lives. Certain Pagan paths will have particular requirements but if you're not following one of these then it's really up to you.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

I agree with Maythe, It is up to you.
      While I celebrate, in my own way, the Solstices and Equinox's , the other holidays I can take or leave. I love Samhain(Halloween), but Imbolc is less important to me.

If there is a day that is special to you, then celebrate it!
      Life is too short to get hung up on all the silly rules...enjoy!
      (now if you are part of a coven, I am sure that they have rules and requirements that you should probably follow )
      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Maythe and Celestial speak truth! I personally follow the Wheel of the Yeqr, but even then there are some holidays I pay more attention to than others. I pretty much ignore Yule, for example, but I pay extra special attention to Imbolc due to one of my Matrons being Brighid.

You have listed that you are Pagan, may I ask what "brand" you follow? That could give us an indication of what holidays might have meaning for you.

Comment

Well I don't really follow a particular branch of Paganism I am more right now I still finding myself in my beliefs. I call myself Pagan because at the moment that explains my beliefs right now.

Comment

I'm a Samhain/Yule Pagan for the most part (like being a Christmas & Easter Christian). I only feel really in the spirit for those two holidays. The only times I've payed any serious attention to the rest of the Wheel of the Year is when I've been working with a group that celebrates the other Sabbats.

I did find out that while I was first starting out was that by 'religiously' observing the Sabbats for a few years, especially the equinoxes and solstices, I began to recognize the seasonal changes and the effects those changes have on people and the world around us, and on the workings of energy and magic(k). There is a tide-like rhythm that flows between the holy days, and I've kept to the Alexandrian Wiccan idea that the Veil Between the Worlds grows thinner and thicker along with those tides. Some things are easier to do closer to the Sabbat dates, like communicate with the dead, mediumship and divination in general, and they don't have as clear results 3 to 4 weeks before/after the Sabbat. Some spellcraft is more suited to the springtime Sabbats and other spells work better during the waning of the year.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by TearDropStar View Post
              I am still a newbie and I know this might be a silly question but I was wondering if you don't follow a certain pagan path do you have to celebrate all the sabbats and esbats? Oh another question can you celebrate other days that have special meaning to you.
              To be honest? If you're an eclectic that's not following a specific tradition, you can really do pretty much anything you want to do. Want to celebrate only half the wheel of the year? Go for it. Want to hold rituals on Valentines/Memoral/4th of July (or whatever your local holidays may be)? Do it. Want to celebrate a Greek festival one month and a Japanese one the next? Alright.

This doesn't just apply to holidays, it's really for anything - ritual structure (if any), view of deity, altars/shrines, spirits, tools, methods, spells - anything.
              Being able to decide what you want to incorporate into your path is one of the benefits to not following a specific tradition - it's also a draw back, of course, since you don't have a guide to follow and have to figure out what works and what does not on your own.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                To be honest? If you're an eclectic that's not following a specific tradition, you can really do pretty much anything you want to do. Want to celebrate only half the wheel of the year? Go for it. Want to hold rituals on Valentines/Memoral/4th of July (or whatever your local holidays may be)? Do it. Want to celebrate a Greek festival one month and a Japanese one the next? Alright.
                ^ this is pretty much what I wanted to say. Personally, whilst I try and be more aware of the changing seasons I don't do anything to celebrate the wheel of the year at the moment. I have in the past, and I may do again in the future but right now my 'work' is very much an internal thing while I try and figure out who I am and what I believe.
                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

thanks because I feel connected to some holidays but others get on my nerves but thanks for the help.

Comment

They get on your nerves...?
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

i don't really like holidays for some reason but the only will I like really is Halloween or Samhain because I feel drawn to it.

Comment

I celebrate Samhain, Yule, Imbolc, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lughnasadh, and Mabon. These are the traditional eight in the Wheel of the Year (though other names are sometimes used). I am not trying to sound judgmental or anything but these are not meant to be seen as "holidays" like the way most see them. They are to honor the God/dess and ourselves. To understand the world around us and have a deeper spiritual meaning in life. Not all about dressing up in costumes and eating candy, ghost hunting, getting drunk, and fighting/feasting with the family... I can understand why these sorts of traditions might get on your nerves. I know Thanksgiving at my house is my own personal Hell. If you are drawn to Samhain that is a good thing. But do not disrespect or look down on the other spokes of the wheel until you understand their true meaning.
                        sigpic

Comment

I also celebrate the quarter and cross-quarter days as my own personal WOTY, though I would hesitate in saying I actually celebrate "the Sabbats", since I see those as a Wiccan or Wiccan inspired set of holidays (although I will use the term because its something people recognize). I've sort of devolved from the traditional (they Wiccan mythological construct of *what they should represent*) into celebrating days for *what they are* and I base how/what I celebrate on a combination of their solar position, local environmental influence and personal significance.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

I guess I need to learn more about them since I am still new. Plus the mythology behind the festivals sort of confused me like the maiden, mother, crone and the life, death, and rebirth thing because of how I see my gods and goddesses.

Comment

So, how do you see you Gods and Goddesses? That could help. I'm mostly drawn to Samhein and Beltane, But I try to recognize the others in some small way as well. At the end of the day, you've got to do what feels right for you.
                              Sleep, my friend, and you will see
                              That dream is my reality

Comment

Working...
                              X