Singers post here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singers post here!

I thought I'd make a different thread from the musicians one because there are some special issues that go with singing.

I've been singing again for about a year or so, and I'm finding that I got the upper part of my range back, but I can't seem to get my lower range back. I used to be able to sing second alto (and often had to, because it's harder to find women who sing that low) but now I can't do it. I know I'm physically capable of it because I could do it before, but it's hard to get it back for some reason. Anyone know any exercises to work the lower vocal range?

Re: Singers post here!

On the topic of singers, I want to learn how to sing better. Got any resources that can help?

Mostly art.

Comment

Some advice: tape yourself, and learn scales. Also, do you play any instruments, even a little? It helps to have a reference instrument to keep you on key!

I didn't watch all of them but there are some cool vids here:
      Whether you are trying to imitate the Cowardly Lion or the lead singer of Gwar, learning to growl can be very helpful. It is easy, fun and you can use it in almost any setting to get a laugh or get your point across. Read on to learn how to growl.

Also some good beginners exercises:
      http://www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

I think to reiterate the taping, it's important because you can hear the mistakes you're making. Sometimes it's hard to hear your own voice as you're singing.

Comment

I karaoke. A lot. I love to sing. But I'm an amateur with no advice. Sorry.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

This thread can be for amateurs who love to sing too!

I didn't want it to just be about that one question...I just thought I'd start off the singing discussion with that because it's been something I've wanted to work on. But really anyone who loves to sing and wants to talk about it or asks questions should share!

Comment

I play music on my mandolin and I'd like to think I can sing (even just a little well) along with it. Lol. I used to sing to the music I listened to, and my sister is a music teacher and said I had good pitch. I'm too shy to sing around anyone, tho I've been considering recording a few of my own tracks (used to record a lot with my brother when we had a "band", but we "split up". I Never did anything vocal-wise but the occasional backing vocals.) I'm an amateur at best.

To all who can sing: I envy you! Lol

Comment

I sang in a choir for six years or so and in a band for a month.

As for getting the lower scale back, I was taught the same exercises that you use to get your range higher can go the other way (I am a first soprano, so if I can hit middle C it's a good day). The siren exercise is excellent from my experience on developing that range on both ends.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

I love to sing, but I haven't in a long time. I think when I can afford it I'm going to get back into voice lessons.
                It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I did singing as my first instrument right through my music exams. I got right up to higher level, so thats not bad. But I can't sing in public. I can be taught a song but its all to do with performance with me. If I feel no link to the song it will be shit.

X
                  "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I still have trouble singing in public. When I was younger I used to get terrible stage fright and I could only get over it sometimes. And I'd never perform totally well in public because I was always slightly terrified. I realized a while ago that a big reason I quit is because I was crippled by self doubt and I just didn't think I was good enough. I think now I was pretty wrong but confidence is something I've had to really work up to and it's something I'm still working on.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      Some advice: tape yourself, and learn scales. Also, do you play any instruments, even a little? It helps to have a reference instrument to keep you on key!

I didn't watch all of them but there are some cool vids here:
                      Whether you are trying to imitate the Cowardly Lion or the lead singer of Gwar, learning to growl can be very helpful. It is easy, fun and you can use it in almost any setting to get a laugh or get your point across. Read on to learn how to growl.

Also some good beginners exercises:
                      http://www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

I think to reiterate the taping, it's important because you can hear the mistakes you're making. Sometimes it's hard to hear your own voice as you're singing.
                      Thanks! I'd give you one of those little rep points if I knew how to. And no, I can't even remotely play a musical instrument. Strings and wind instruments I don't have the patience for (aka I suck!) and it's not like my apartment will fit a piano in it (the only instrument I'm capable of making music on)

Mostly art.

Comment

maybe you can just download some sort of free computer app that has a keyboard....I just meant something to give you a note.

You could get a pitch pipe too but I always thought those were crazy lame.

Comment

Pitch pipes are annoying. I have one to tune my guitar by and I hate it! X
                          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I have 10 years of professional training .... So, I guess you can say I'm a singer! My vocal range is from 1st tenor to 1st sop. I generally have 3 and half octaves to play with. I have a BFA in Musical Theatre. I write music as well (guitar and vocals). I haven't done much recently. A local women's choir has been trying to get me to join, but there is something about no male voices that gets to me. I've been considering taking some voice lessons again, don't have the money for that and everything else I'd like to do! I am auditioning for Guys and Dolls next week. I should probably find a song to sing for that, like yesterday! But, I'll figure it out.

As for low range, practice, practice, practice. Sing down there every chance you get and even if it sounds terrible at first, keep doing it. That is the only way to train your vocal bands to slow down that much!

If ya have question, don't be afraid to ask and I'll do my best to answer!
                            ~ Corsair

Comment

I like singing with my guitar I dont think im amazing lol but that dont stop me :P

Comment

Working...
                              X