Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the process of 'Dedicating'? (W/E your Path?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in the process of 'Dedicating'? (W/E your Path?)

Hello!
    I'm still in the process of 'Dedicating'; A.K.A. I've studied a bunch for a few years and am now comfortable with settling into my Path officially. Are there others out there like me?
    I'm solitary, so all this is on my own volition. In other words, no Priest or Priestess or Shaman is 'Dedicating' me and saying 'she is worthy!'. I'm basically saying, here I am, this is what I believe and will worship, this is what I will continue to study until I'm blue in the face and considered a true 'Elder' of my Path. Maybe eventually train another once I'm old and happy. ^-^
    Anyone else on their 'Journey' and feeling like they some others to talk to?
    Cuz I'm lonely here, studying my brains out, and wondering half the time I'm doing it right. XD
    Would love to know of others!
    The Past is our Cradle, not our Prison; there is Danger as well as Appeal in its Glamour. The Past is for Inspiration, not Immitation; Continuation, not Repetition.

Its a long way back to Eden, dear. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Re: Anyone in the process of 'Dedicating'? (W/E your Path?)

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2941#msg2941 date=1287122070]
    Hello!
    I'm still in the process of 'Dedicating'; A.K.A. I've studied a bunch for a few years and am now comfortable with settling into my Path officially. Are there others out there like me?[/quote]
    Yes, there are. More than you think.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2941#msg2941 date=1287122070]I'm solitary, so all this is on my own volition. In other words, no Priest or Priestess or Shaman is 'Dedicating' me and saying 'she is worthy!'. I'm basically saying, here I am, this is what I believe and will worship, this is what I will continue to study until I'm blue in the face and considered a true 'Elder' of my Path. Maybe eventually train another once I'm old and happy. ^-^[/quote]
    As long as you dedicate yourself to studying your beliefs, you should be all right, in my opinion. It's lack of asking questions that is not good.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2941#msg2941 date=1287122070]Anyone else on their 'Journey' and feeling like they some others to talk to?
    Cuz I'm lonely here, studying my brains out, and wondering half the time I'm doing it right. XD
    [/quote]
    Been there some twenty years ago, and I understand where are you now, quite well.
    The fact that you are able to articulate your feelings this well tells me that you shouldn't have much problems with the path you've chosen.
    Eventually, you'll meet someone who shares you beliefs, and if you have some luck you'll meet them in person, not just over the Internet.
    Oh, and you can talk with other people that don't share your beliefs, as long as they are not in "my-path-the-only-path" mode, you'll learn from such an exeprience.

Now if you have more specific questions I would be glad to answer.

Comment

[quote author=Caliburn link=topic=283.msg2951#msg2951 date=1287124655]
      Yes, there are. More than you think. [/quote]

Thank you! I figured there were, it's just nice to hear it sometimes. ^ - ^ It can get lonely being solitary....that should be an oxymoron. XD

As long as you dedicate yourself to studying your beliefs, you should be all right, in my opinion. It's lack of asking questions that is not good.[/quote]

Oh trust me, I love reading and practicing. This is the fun part, its the remembering it all or remembering to write it down that kills me. ^-^ And I could ask questions till I'm blue in the face or others ask me kindly to shut up. That's one reason I started this thread, to hopefully give all of us 'Dedicants' a place to ask what may be the 'stupid' questions. Of course, the only stupid question is one not asked. Hopefully we can get a nice little comfortable thread going where NO question is stupid, including my own! ^-^

Been there some twenty years ago, and I understand where are you now, quite well.
      The fact that you are able to articulate your feelings this well tells me that you shouldn't have much problems with the path you've chosen.
      Eventually, you'll meet someone who shares you beliefs, and if you have some luck you'll meet them in person, not just over the Internet.
      Oh, and you can talk with other people that don't share your beliefs, as long as they are not in "my-path-the-only-path" mode, you'll learn from such an exeprience.

Now if you have more specific questions I would be glad to answer.
      [/quote]

I don't really anticipate problems with the Path I've chosen, only that it does get frustrating to feel like you may know enough to finish the 'Dedication', and then suddenly something book-whips you in the face and your stuck relearning something simple. ....If that made sense. I've been at it for over a year now of vicious studying, and it never seems enough! XD I anticipated it, just didn't really want it to happen. Of course, I also understand I'll be studying for the rest of my life because there is always new stuff to learn, I just don't feel great enough yet to call myself a proper 'Shaman/Nature Pagan/Druid? mix' alcolyte. I know most people would consider a 'Dedicant' an alcolyte, but I believe an alcolyte is someone who's learned enough to properly perform his or her duties.
      This is starting to sound like a rant, sorry! XD Like I said, it's frustrating sometimes.

I guess my first question would be, have you ever found a good book about old Pagan beliefs that does not center on Wicca? I recently bought The Witches Bible to give it a good thorough look-over, just to see if I could hopefully pull out some missing pieces to my own Path, and all I really got out of it was doing everything as skyclad as possible and always having a male around. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone when I say this, please don't flame me, but the book made everything sound about sex. Though I do have a husband, he has his Path and I have mine and they rarely intertwine. I couldn't imagine both of us laying on top of one another skyclad with his 'athame poised over my chalace'.....I mean, I can but not during a ritual and not with others around! I would eventually love to teach my two year old....I think I'd scar her for life if I pulled that one.... I pulled out a few informational things, but in a book that thick, there should have been more. So have you read anything really informational about Old Pagan beliefs? I don't trust much on the internet or any 'new' books....I know, I'm a pain in the tookus. ^ - ^
      The Past is our Cradle, not our Prison; there is Danger as well as Appeal in its Glamour. The Past is for Inspiration, not Immitation; Continuation, not Repetition.

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]
        I guess my first question would be, have you ever found a good book about old Pagan beliefs that does not center on Wicca? I recently bought The Witches Bible to give it a good thorough look-over, just to see if I could hopefully pull out some missing pieces to my own Path, and all I really got out of it was doing everything as skyclad as possible and always having a male around. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone when I say this, please don't flame me, but the book made everything sound about sex. Though I do have a husband, he has his Path and I have mine and they rarely intertwine. I couldn't imagine both of us laying on top of one another skyclad with his 'athame poised over my chalace'.....I mean, I can but not during a ritual and not with others around! I would eventually love to teach my two year old....I think I'd scar her for life if I pulled that one.... I pulled out a few informational things, but in a book that thick, there should have been more. So have you read anything really informational about Old Pagan beliefs? I don't trust much on the internet or any 'new' books....I know, I'm a pain in the tookus. ^ - ^
        [/quote]

ZOMG!

I laughed so hard I nearly woke up the hubby and the Sophie who apparently crawled into bed with us last night---and they both sleep like the dead.

There is actually more to the book than that...but its not really the book (IMO) a beginner should start out with...really, I wouldn't suggest that as reading material for someone until they were well past the newbie stage. And...really...traditional Wicca is about sex as a symbol. Thats not ALL its about, but that is a part of it.

But yeah, there are books out there that are less Wicca oriented. I'm going thru my materials, and once I find it, I'll post my giant book list--its every book I've ever read, owned or been recommended...because, yes...I am that much of a geek. I just have to figure out which memory stick its on, and which file in said memory stick it is in!!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2941#msg2941 date=1287122070]
          Hello!
          I'm still in the process of 'Dedicating'; A.K.A. I've studied a bunch for a few years and am now comfortable with settling into my Path officially. Are there others out there like me?
          I'm solitary, so all this is on my own volition. In other words, no Priest or Priestess or Shaman is 'Dedicating' me and saying 'she is worthy!'. I'm basically saying, here I am, this is what I believe and will worship, this is what I will continue to study until I'm blue in the face and considered a true 'Elder' of my Path. Maybe eventually train another once I'm old and happy. ^-^
          Anyone else on their 'Journey' and feeling like they some others to talk to?
          [/quote]

Hi there! I found Wicca when I was just a tad older than you and I wondered the same thing. I read so many things that said I wasn't properly dedicated because it wasn't done by a coven while others said I didn't have to be. I personally believed (and still do) that when I dedicated myself to the Craft that that was good enough for the Goddess and God. Regardless I found myself a Coven and was initiated by them and I can tell you that when I did it myself it was a lot more personal, spiritual and meaningful. Maybe not everyone who's been down that road feels the same way I do but that's just my opinion. I think whatever you feel right in your heart is the Goddess telling you is. I can tell you I'm not with that Coven anymore (they we're going down a path I didn't want to fall into) and am currently studying solitary but I wish I had a group of Pagans to hang out with. None of my friends share my beliefs even if they are incredibly supportive. Being solitary is lonely which is why I found this forum. do what feels right. Trust yourself. The Goddess will guide you
          ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Comment

[quote author=SageGreene link=topic=283.msg3273#msg3273 date=1287189953]
            Hi there! I found Wicca when I was just a tad older than you and I wondered the same thing. I read so many things that said I wasn't properly dedicated because it wasn't done by a coven while others said I didn't have to be. I personally believed (and still do) that when I dedicated myself to the Craft that that was good enough for the Goddess and God. Regardless I found myself a Coven and was initiated by them and I can tell you that when I did it myself it was a lot more personal, spiritual and meaningful. Maybe not everyone who's been down that road feels the same way I do but that's just my opinion. I think whatever you feel right in your heart is the Goddess telling you is. I can tell you I'm not with that Coven anymore (they we're going down a path I didn't want to fall into) and am currently studying solitary but I wish I had a group of Pagans to hang out with. None of my friends share my beliefs even if they are incredibly supportive. Being solitary is lonely which is why I found this forum. do what feels right. Trust yourself. The Goddess will guide you
            [/quote]
            Thank you for your kind support! There is a small group of Pagans here who are very nice and have a meetup just about every week, but my work schedule never allows for them....
            I must agree with you on the Dedication being a very personal experience. I love learning new things, tweaking them just a little to make them my own, and creating rituals that others may either laugh at or not entirely understand. It was one reason the Coven wasn't a good idea for me; I rather enjoy feeling more like myself when I'm in front of my Goddess and God. I didn't want to feel as if all eyes were on me, waiting for me to screw up, or waiting to correct me in some way, or....ect; I didn't like the pressure. When it's myself in the circle, calling the corners, and I mess up...theres no one to think anything of it except for myself and I know the Goddess and God forgive me for the little screwups...I'm still 'budding'. ^-^ Besides, if I want to cry during my Dedication, by the sky I am going to cry my little heart out!
            If you live anywhere near Jacksonville FL (Georgia, Alabama...ect) let me know and maybe we can meet on neutral territory during a major Sabbath! I will gladly take leave (vacation)! ^ - ^

@ Thalassa (I haven't exactly learned how to do multiple quotes, sorry!): I laughed reading your post! I didn't realize what I actually wrote until I reread it....I think I turned a few shades of scarlet...XD
            Thank you for your insight! I've read a few Wicca books and thoroughly love the information; perhaps that book really is just too out of my experience level. I knew Wicca used a lot of sexual energy and sex as a symbol, because life is essentially about death/rebirth and also because sexual energy is extremely potent. I know that's not all of it, but it's the vague notion I've gotten since looking up that particular Path. I hope I didn't cause any offense to anyone with that post, sometimes I can be brash and I have a terrible habit of not rereading my post. :embarrassed:
            Please let me know the book list! I know I've posted this a hundred times, but I LOVE to read and learn! I'm a geek mind-body-and-soul! ^ - ^

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]
              Thank you! I figured there were, it's just nice to hear it sometimes. ^ - ^ It can get lonely being solitary....that should be an oxymoron. XD[/quote]
              Actually it's a pleonasm.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]Oh trust me, I love reading and practicing. This is the fun part, its the remembering it all or remembering to write it down that kills me. ^-^ [/quote]
              I hear you. ;D

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]And I could ask questions till I'm blue in the face or others ask me kindly to shut up. That's one reason I started this thread, to hopefully give all of us 'Dedicants' a place to ask what may be the 'stupid' questions. Of course, the only stupid question is one not asked. Hopefully we can get a nice little comfortable thread going where NO question is stupid, including my own! ^-^[/quote]
              In my opinion, there are no stupid questions. Questions you ask are a result of your current knowledge. As the knowledge grows the questions will get more precise. I'm reluctant to call someone stupid just because he or she lacks knowledge. It's the absence of the will for learning joined with arrogance that makes someone stupid.
              You have neither of the said "qualities".

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]I don't really anticipate problems with the Path I've chosen, only that it does get frustrating to feel like you may know enough to finish the 'Dedication', and then suddenly something book-whips you in the face and your stuck relearning something simple. ....If that made sense.[/quote]
              That makes perfect sense.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]I've been at it for over a year now of vicious studying, and it never seems enough! XD I anticipated it, just didn't really want it to happen. Of course, I also understand I'll be studying for the rest of my life because there is always new stuff to learn, I just don't feel great enough yet to call myself a proper 'Shaman/Nature Pagan/Druid? mix' alcolyte. I know most people would consider a 'Dedicant' an alcolyte, but I believe an alcolyte is someone who's learned enough to properly perform his or her duties.
              This is starting to sound like a rant, sorry! XD Like I said, it's frustrating sometimes.[/quote]
              Not only does it seem, but truly never is enough.
              Oh, and as far as I know, acolyte is sort of religious assistant to a higher ranking cleric.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]I guess my first question would be, have you ever found a good book about old Pagan beliefs that does not center on Wicca?[/quote]
              By old pagan beliefs you refer to what exactly? I've noticed that your posts gravitate towards Wicca, and you've mentioned shamanism and druidism.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg2987#msg2987 date=1287135449]I recently bought The Witches Bible to give it a good thorough look-over, just to see if I could hopefully pull out some missing pieces to my own Path, and all I really got out of it was doing everything as skyclad as possible and always having a male around. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone when I say this, please don't flame me, but the book made everything sound about sex.
              Though I do have a husband, he has his Path and I have mine and they rarely intertwine. I couldn't imagine both of us laying on top of one another skyclad with his 'athame poised over my chalace'.....I mean, I can but not during a ritual and not with others around! I would eventually love to teach my two year old....I think I'd scar her for life if I pulled that one.... I pulled out a few informational things, but in a book that thick, there should have been more. So have you read anything really informational about Old Pagan beliefs? I don't trust much on the internet or any 'new' books....I know, I'm a pain in the tookus. ^ - ^
              [/quote]
              I'm reading this for the fifth time, just for the laughs. ;D
              Lovely! So sweet! ;D
              If you are asking about pagans beliefs from which Wicca is derived and synthesized I think that you will find plenty of users of this forum that have more information about the topic, than me.
              I would recommend "The Real Witches' Handbook" by Kate West. It rather practical, and very rational (I've liked and it got high praises from "Wiccan together" online community). But that is just for the starters.

If you are interested in some other pagan beliefs, please be more specific.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3311#msg3311 date=1287201922]I haven't exactly learned how to do multiple quotes, sorry![/quote]
              Right click on the "Quote" button of the post you want to answer to.
              Then click "Open in New Tab" option (or whatever that option is called in the browser you currently use).
              Repeat for the every post you want to answer to.
              Now you have several tabs opened.
              Answer to the posts.
              Copy all the posts into one large post.

Comment

[quote author=Caliburn link=topic=283.msg3330#msg3330 date=1287211467]
                Actually it's a pleonasm. [/quote]

First and foremost, thank you! I get tongue-tied and 'tip of the tongue' experience often, so I just go with whatever word first comes to mind. I need to buy a dictionary and thesaurus... XD

In my opinion, there are no stupid questions. Questions you ask are a result of your current knowledge. As the knowledge grows the questions will get more precise. I'm reluctant to call someone stupid just because he or she lacks knowledge. It's the absence of the will for learning joined with arrogance that makes someone stupid. [/quote]

I really hope others realize this as well. You put it so nicely!
                You have neither of the said "qualities". [/quote]

And thank you again! Sometimes I'll say something erronous without looking it up, and I'll feel stupid afterward, but it's always a learning experience, lol. I hope others who read this will speak up too!
                That makes perfect sense.
                Not only does it seem, but truly never is enough.
                Oh, and as far as I know, acolyte is sort of religious assistant to a higher ranking cleric.[/quote]

Again, a lovely little mind 'tip of the tongue' experience. I was looking for a word that would mean 'newbie' without actually saying 'newbie'. XD Alcolyte just sounds pretty. ^-^
                By old pagan beliefs you refer to what exactly? I've noticed that your posts gravitate towards Wicca, and you've mentioned shamanism and druidism.[/quote]

I do apologize by my vagueness. It just seems easy to say 'I'm looking for Shamanism! Or Druidism!' or any other 'branch', but what I am trully looking for are books that predate the Wicca evolution. True history, in a sense, not with just rituals and helpful bits, but an actual....ergg! The only way I think I could easily explain it is by saying I'd like an intimate encounter with someone from the early 1000's who were 'Pagan' and would like to tell me all about themselves....lol. I mean, if Christopher Penczak can reference Adcock, Will and Cabot, Laurie....who did they reference? And who did those people reference? And those people? I'd like to find the information that is THE information these people are refering to. That way, I can interpret it how I would like to interpret it and trully make it mine.
                .....now, be honest....does that make sense?
                I'm reading this for the fifth time, just for the laughs. ;D
                Lovely! So sweet! ;D
                If you are asking about pagans beliefs from which Wicca is derived and synthesized I think that you will find plenty of users of this forum that have more information about the topic, than me.
                I would recommend "The Real Witches' Handbook" by Kate West. It rather practical, and very rational (I've liked and it got high praises from "Wiccan together" online community). But that is just for the starters.[/quote]

I will definitely pick up that book! Thank you for the suggestion. ^-^

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3332#msg3332 date=1287212369]
                  I do apologize by my vagueness. It just seems easy to say 'I'm looking for Shamanism! Or Druidism!' or any other 'branch', but what I am trully looking for are books that predate the Wicca evolution. True history, in a sense, not with just rituals and helpful bits, but an actual....ergg! The only way I think I could easily explain it is by saying I'd like an intimate encounter with someone from the early 1000's who were 'Pagan' and would like to tell me all about themselves....lol. I mean, if Christopher Penczak can reference Adcock, Will and Cabot, Laurie....who did they reference? And who did those people reference? And those people? I'd like to find the information that is THE information these people are refering to. That way, I can interpret it how I would like to interpret it and trully make it mine.
                  .....now, be honest....does that make sense?
                  [/quote]
                  Yes, it makes sense.
                  First read "The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion", by Sir James George Frazer and then "The White Goddess: a Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth" by Robert Graves (in that order, since "The White Goddess" was to some extant inspired by "The Golden Bough&quot.
                  Both books contain plenty of references, so you should find something to your liking.
                  I have to point that Graves in "The White Goddess" shows a principles of mythological school of comparative mythology that has, at least in my opinion, some advantages over historical school. Anyway, after you read these two books you should be able to understand folklore far better.
                  If you are looking for an actual pagan manuscript... well, Greek and Roman religions are your best bets, but somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind. Right?

Comment

[quote author=Caliburn link=topic=283.msg3338#msg3338 date=1287214852]
                    Yes, it makes sense.
                    First read "The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion", by Sir James George Frazer and then "The White Goddess: a Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth" by Robert Graves (in that order, since "The White Goddess" was to some extant inspired by "The Golden Bough&quot.
                    Both books contain plenty of references, so you should find something to your liking.
                    I have to point that Graves in "The White Goddess" shows a principles of mythological school of comparative mythology that has, at least in my opinion, some advantages over historical school. Anyway, after you read these two books you should be able to understand folklore far better.
                    If you are looking for an actual pagan manuscript... well, Greek and Roman religions are your best bets, but somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind. Right?
                    [/quote]
                    Nope, your right! ^ - ^ Thank you. I don't know why it's so hard to find some older stuff; other than maybe because of the Burning Times.

I rather enjoyed the mythology of the Greek and Romans, it was interesting to say the least. I believe that understanding the folklore and the actual 'history' of a religion is better than jumping on the first book that makes sense and calling it your own. I had no idea Wicca was 'invented' in the 1900's until I picked up a very informative history book (when I get home, I'll post the title. It was a very good read, but I've read many books since then, lol) about Wicca. I had honestly thought, at that point, that Wicca was the oldest of the religions and that I would be learning what my ancestors had learned. All because I assumed that one book new all, ya know? Once I actually started diving into the learning process, I started to realize that I knew nothing, that Hollywood (I was younger, so forgive this one.) was completely wrong, and some of the books on the shelves were all personal accounts based on historical/folklore facts. Now, if I really wanted to truly learn, I one day thought 'hey, I should read the books these guys who wrote these books read!'. Thus came my reference search, which fell into a rut recently, and hopefully you have revived it!

I'm actually ordering those books online now. Funny how I can't view videos on government computers, but I can easily shop. XD

Thank you for being patient, and speedy!, with me. I can be a pain, I know. ^-^ If I had ever found someone to teach me, I think they'd string me up by my toes from the ceiling and leave me hanging a few days.... :P

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3339#msg3339 date=1287215640]Nope, your right! ^ - ^ Thank you. I don't know why it's so hard to find some older stuff; other than maybe because of the Burning Times.[/quote]
                      Well, to write down rituals and beliefs was a taboo in many pagan religions.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3339#msg3339 date=1287215640]I rather enjoyed the mythology of the Greek and Romans, it was interesting to say the least. I believe that understanding the folklore and the actual 'history' of a religion is better than jumping on the first book that makes sense and calling it your own. I had no idea Wicca was 'invented' in the 1900's until I picked up a very informative history book (when I get home, I'll post the title. It was a very good read, but I've read many books since then, lol) about Wicca. I had honestly thought, at that point, that Wicca was the oldest of the religions and that I would be learning what my ancestors had learned. All because I assumed that one book new all, ya know? Once I actually started diving into the learning process, I started to realize that I knew nothing, that Hollywood (I was younger, so forgive this one.) was completely wrong, and some of the books on the shelves were all personal accounts based on historical/folklore facts. Now, if I really wanted to truly learn, I one day thought 'hey, I should read the books these guys who wrote these books read!'. Thus came my reference search, which fell into a rut recently, and hopefully you have revived it![/quote]
                      You put it quite well. ;D

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3339#msg3339 date=1287215640]
                      I'm actually ordering those books online now.[/quote]
                      Please, first check the links I've posted and see if these books are to your liking. I would hate to make you unnecessary expenses.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3339#msg3339 date=1287215640]Funny how I can't view videos on government computers, but I can easily shop. XD[/quote]
                      Maybe you should avoid clicking on Russia Today links, while you are at work, if you work for the US government, just to make sure you don't get into trouble. :-\

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=283.msg3339#msg3339 date=1287215640]Thank you for being patient, and speedy!, with me. I can be a pain, I know. ^-^ If I had ever found someone to teach me, I think they'd string me up by my toes from the ceiling and leave me hanging a few days.... :P
                      [/quote]
                      You are more than welcome and I'm glad to help anyone with a "yearn to learn".

Comment

It just seems easy to say 'I'm looking for Shamanism! Or Druidism!' or any other 'branch', but what I am trully looking for are books that predate the Wicca evolution. True history, in a sense, not with just rituals and helpful bits, but an actual....ergg! The only way I think I could easily explain it is by saying I'd like an intimate encounter with someone from the early 1000's who were 'Pagan' and would like to tell me all about themselves....lol. I mean, if Christopher Penczak can reference Adcock, Will and Cabot, Laurie....who did they reference? And who did those people reference? And those people? I'd like to find the information that is THE information these people are refering to. That way, I can interpret it how I would like to interpret it and trully make it mine.
                        TBH...that really doesn't exist. As far as Wicca is concerned, there isn't really a *the* information, its more an evolution of thought that originated with several different schools of thought and practices. If you haven't read Triumph of the Moon by Robert Hutton, I really recommend it...as a historian, he actually sites his sources (from pages 417-470 is his list of citations) so you can find what original source material there is yourself. If you are just looking for the documents that contemporary Wiccan-esque Paganism (is based upon, The White Goddess and The Golden Bough are a good start (and don't buy them! they are available free online!)...then you are looking more at the mid 1800s-early 1900s

But...if you are looking for some sort of Pagan religion of old that contemporary Paganism is built upon, you are going to come up empty handed. . Our knowledge (if that knowledge even exists) just doesn't go back that far. The original Paganism is the indigenous religions of the Celts, the Romans, the Greeks, the Norse, etc...all of which have their own contemporary reconstructed and inspired traditions. And for those...your best bet is history books and mythological texts and the occasional book that might have been written by reconstructionists about that particular tradition.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm new to my path as well. I'm going to have a private dedication at Mabon next year, but until then it's study study study. I feel comfortable enough naming my beliefs though :-)

If anyone can help, I'd be interesting in books that talkl about Celtoc Paganism. I'm having a hard time finding them here, and it's so hard to tell online if they're any good

Comment

Thank you everyone!
                            I bought the books, and are still waiting for them. I love the internet, but I don't have it at home. I'm only able to get on at work, lol, unless I go to the library or get on my phone (which sucks with it's tiny screen!).
                            It's a little sad that we lost a lot of our history due to prosecution and our inherent sense of secrecy. I love folklore and myth, though; most of it is based on some truth.
                            I recently picked up the Silver RavenWolf series. Once I have a breather, I'm going to give that a look over.

Welcome PharaohKatt! That is an excellent idea to perform yours on Mabon. ^ - ^ I was going to choose Samhain as mine, but I'm not quite ready yet; I'll probably wait until next year.
                            This book sounds pretty informative and I'll probably pick it up as well. "Exploring Celtic Druidism" by Knight. I found it here: http://www.celticpagan.com/exploring...002d8be4b94bb2

Comment

Ooh, that site is really useful, thank you!

I'm compiling a list of books from this thread to order on Friday (pay day!). The AUD is doing really well right now, so it shouldn't be too expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X