Rituals and moon phases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals and moon phases

New to pagan forum, and not particularly pagan myself, but I figured I could get good opinion here... anyway..

What I'd like to know, is whether or not one should perform a cleansing ritual, of the mind, body and soul, on a particular moon phase?

As in, is it better to do those, traditionally when the moon is full, or new?

or does it depend on what the intent is?

-thanks

Re: Rituals and moon phases

First of all, welcome to the forum.

If I were going to plan a ritual self cleansing, I'd probably shoot for the waning or new moon, depending on the specifics of the ritual. The waning moon to help remove whatever it is I was trying to get rid of, or the new moon which would be symbolic of a fresh new start. Either could work - and, of course, there's really no reason to wait if it's something you feel needs to be done sooner.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

In my own practice I'll do a ritual or spell whenever it's necessary and sod the moon phase. Besides, these are very easy to manipulate : for example, a healing spell could be done on a waxing moon (to increase health) or a waning one (to banish sickness). It's really a question of your own approach.

In an ideal world the moonphase would always coincide with our particular intention. In the real world it doesn't. If you can wait for the right phase to come around, then fine. If not, just use your imagination!

Welcome to the PF by the way.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=340.msg4144#msg4144 date=1287385517]
        In my own practice I'll do a ritual or spell whenever it's necessary and sod the moon phase. Besides, these are very easy to manipulate : for example, a healing spell could be done on a waxing moon (to increase health) or a waning one (to banish sickness). It's really a question of your own approach.

In an ideal world the moonphase would always coincide with our particular intention. In the real world it doesn't. If you can wait for the right phase to come around, then fine. If not, just use your imagination!

[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Timing your spells with moon phases and days of the week and planetary hours and all that is fine and it can help, but they're not wholly necessary. They're tools, just like candles, crystals, and herbs, albeit more ethereal. It's my opinion that unless you're working something long-term, then don't bother. Go ahead and plan out a series of rituals over a course of several weeks or even months if you're planning something big, but if all you want to do is wish somebody good luck, it's kinda lame to wait two weeks for a Sunday during the waxing moon.

And yeah, most things can be "cheated" if you will. If you want to work with the moon, then for a cleansing you could work during the waxing moon and approach it by summoning those energies, or you could working during the waning moon and do it by casting away whatever influences you want to be rid of. Me, I would do both.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Welcome & blessings!

In the way that I learned 'moon magic', the three days of the full and new moons are seen as somewhat static. Nothing really grows, decreases or changes. That is why Sabbats were held during the full moon - you couldn't get any work done so you might as well celebrate. Of course, you could 'plant seeds' during the new moon so they'd 'grow' between the new moon & full moon.

The period leading from the last day of the new moon phase to the first day of the full moon phase is for increasing things, and vice versa from full to new. Much like Tylluan stated, this doesn't mean you can't work spells throughout the month - if you want to follow the moon's cycle, you just manipulate how you're doing the spells.

From my way of thinking, cleansings and banishings are most effective when performed leading up to the new moon, and a protective spell could be done during the static of the new moon so nothing else would get attached to you.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Much like the other discussion on here about "item or the idea", whether you use the moon phases is up to you. I don't think the lunar cycle, the position of the moon or whether the stars are right is all that relevant except as an idea/mindset to help us work.

Comment

Many thanks!

It hadn't occurred to me that movement between the phases might be more of an influence than the phases themselves. That gives me ideas. Much appreciated.

Comment

In my own practice I'll do a ritual or spell whenever it's necessary and sod the moon phase.
                [/quote]

BAHAHAHA. Nice one!

I'm like everyone else here apparently. I will do a spell on a certain moon phase if I can but it's by no means necessary, esp. for little quick spells. I do think Mr. Moon has a certain power though, especially in nature, and it can be very useful to tap into that. The same could be said of the Sun, stars, ocean, wind or Earth equally though.
                "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

[/quote]

I used to be so worried about the moon phase that I found it took away from what I was trying to do. Now If I have need/want I just do it and normally get good results

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=340.msg4970#msg4970 date=1287524840]
                    I used to be so worried about the moon phase that I found it took away from what I was trying to do. Now If I have need/want I just do it and normally get good results
                    [/quote]

And this is often the problem.... we become afraid to try. It's a strange fact about magic that it often seems to work best for those who worry least.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                    X