Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q & A on Jehovah's Witnesses

I'm gonna try my hand at this whole Q&A thing. lol

I was born and raised Jehovah's Witness. At the age of 18, when I left my mom's house, I basically never went back to church. I never really felt anything but annoyance and boredom for the religion, but I can still try to answer any questions about it.

**Although, I must warn you, I went to a Spanish speaking church; most of the English terminology eludes me.**

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
    My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
    Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Re: Q & A on Jehovah's Witnesses

Hi Thaleia Chara! Thanks for offering this. It should be interesting.

Here's my question -

I've read that the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the destruction of the world is about to happen any time now. Is there any particular time line for this (as in, when can I expect it to happen)?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've worked with a few (lapsed) JW's...so I've picked up a few ideas that I wouldn't mind knowing more about...

Can you explain the concept of hell as the common grave?
      Does the prohibition on recieving transfusions extent to physicians giving them?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I had several discussions with a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness. I don't claim to be anywhere near expert or even former practitioner, but I can try to help clarify in those situations where the English is elusive, if I know where you're going with the answer.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

No questions yet, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say! I always drove my mom crazy by inviting the Jehovah's Witnesses in for a drink of water, hearing them out, and taking the Watchtower they offered. They way I saw it, though, they were pounding the pavement for God, just like our guys, so why not give them a little time?
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Hmm, do Jehovah's Witnesses hold to the Trinitarian doctrine (God, Christ and the Holy Spirit as both separate Powers and the same Power simultaneously) or are Christ and the Lord of Hosts wholly separate beings?
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=341.msg4276#msg4276 date=1287415991]
              No questions yet, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say! I always drove my mom crazy by inviting the Jehovah's Witnesses in for a drink of water, hearing them out, and taking the Watchtower they offered. They way I saw it, though, they were pounding the pavement for God, just like our guys, so why not give them a little time?
              [/quote]

They were at my door again today. I usually chat for a while, but I think I'm giving them the impression that I'm interested in committing to their church, so I wimped out and pretended I wasn't here today when they knocked. I don't mind them stopping by once a year, like they were doing, but recently they're here every week.

I asked them some questions and suddenly they said they had to go. So I'm glad to have this thread where I can get some more info!

Comment

How do you handle the whole 'no celebration' thing, like holidays, birthdays, etc. Is your entire family JW, or are there family members who aren't that insist on celebrating holidays & exchanging gifts?
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I always chat with the jw that come to my door and I always answer wearing my pentagram.
                  Question time....
                  Why won't jw say the pledge of aligence?
                  Why do they try to convert ppl if only a certain number are allowed In heaven?
                  How many jw are there?
                  Is jw still christanity?(Possibly obvious question)
                  Useing my uncles words are they really "cult like"?
                  Circe

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=341.msg4283#msg4283 date=1287416454]
                    They were at my door again today. I usually chat for a while, but I think I'm giving them the impression that I'm interested in committing to their church, so I wimped out and pretended I wasn't here today when they knocked. I don't mind them stopping by once a year, like they were doing, but recently they're here every week.
                    [/quote]
                    I've had that happen to me during the spring. (They came almost every week... >_> or every month) I chatted with them because I respected their beliefs, and they were actually relatively nice but I think I was giving them the same impression.., made a small little sign and took it down a month later. Haven't seen them around for quite some time but would be interested in their visit again.

Uuum...
                    How do JW's explain the bad things in life?
                    Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Not a question really. But the people I have rented my upstairs room from are very religious people. And only until recently did I realize they were JW by the WatchTower pamplets I have seen now and again. I had no idea...
                      And all those things I had thought about JW when they were outside bugging me in my home...is now different. They are very relaxing people who don't mind letting some tattooed gal living in their home. They have been a very kind and loving family in word and deed. So kudos!
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

i was browsing through a book that was printed by watchtower, and it even quoted that judge not thing, and told people to be tolerant. It made me rethink the belief system... but it like the rest of Christianity is going to contain those people that just want to convert anyone they see. its the person, not the religion.
                        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[/quote][/quote]http://www.watchtower.org/e/20031208/article_01.htm

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=341.msg4236#msg4236 date=1287409976]
                          I had several discussions with a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness. I don't claim to be anywhere near expert or even former practitioner, but I can try to help clarify in those situations where the English is elusive, if I know where you're going with the answer.
                          [/quote][/quote] http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_03.htm

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=341.msg4283#msg4283 date=1287416454]

I asked them some questions and suddenly they said they had to go. So I'm glad to have this thread where I can get some more info!
                          [/quote][/quote][/quote]
                          As of August 2009, Jehovah's Witnesses claim an average membership of approximately 7.3 million actively involved in preaching. To be counted, an individual must be a publisher, and report some amount of time in the ministry, normally at least an hour per month, or as little as 15 minutes under certain circumstances, such as chronic and debilitating illness. In 2009, these reports indicated a total of more than 1.5 billion hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...39;s_Witnesses
                          [/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yup.

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
                          Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

That clarifies ALOT thankyou
                            More questions
                            How old is jw as a religeon?
                            Do jw belive in gohsts?
                            What are the different sects of jw?
                            Where is the highest concentration of jw?
                            Do jw enlist in the army?
                            Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=341.msg4590#msg4590 date=1287456856]
                              That clarifies ALOT thankyou
                              More questions
                              How old is jw as a religeon?
                              Do jw belive in gohsts?
                              What are the different sects of jw?
                              Where is the highest concentration of jw?
                              Do jw enlist in the army?
                              [/quote]

It began in the 1870s by Christian Restorationist minister Charles Taze Russell.

I don't know if they REALLY believe in ghosts as the spirit of the dead (I never got into much detail on that matter) but I do know they believe in demons influencing the material world and passing as someone else. By what I understand they believe that a demon can shapeshift into anything it wants, including the facade of anyone who has passed away and talk/act like them with their mannerisms and sometimes with their memories.
                              **Because apparently they can read your memories too.** {No one has ever told me this, it's something I have deduced myself from the different conversations and debates I have had with knowledgeable Elders.}

I have no clue whether there are separate sects of JWs out there. I don't think so but I could be mistaken.

As to the highest concentration, I presume you mean demographically? If so, JWs keep exceptional records of all active members and EVERYONE that has attended the yearly memorial services. Here's a link => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah...ses_by_country

No, JWs don't enlist in the army and they won't even fight when drafted, no matter the consequences. And in some countries like Cuba, Singapore, and China (among many others) where religious oppression is still the norm that would mean persecution, jail time, beatings or worse, putting their lives or their families lives at stake. Link => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecu...39;s_Witnesses

I'd like to post some links that you can visit if anyone wants more information on JWs beliefs or practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses
                              http://www.watchtower.org/
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/144000_....27s_Witnesses More on the 144,000 or "Anointed Ones"
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah....27anointed.27 More on Armageddon and Salvation
                              http://ex-jw.com/ This site is to provide the other side of the story. Not everything is as peachy as the Watchtower proclaims.

Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

Working...
                              X