Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pagan Pride Days---What are YOU proud of?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Pride Days---What are YOU proud of?

So, Pax, the guy that does the Pagan Values Blogject is asking:

So...what *are* we proud of? Should *we* be proud of anything in the first place? What place does pride play in our (individulal) beliefs? How do we translate that into action?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Pagan Pride Days---What are YOU proud of?

I am proud to be called "Uncle Po" ... And as Po I have learned that I can do anything any one else can ... I just have to do it my own way and be true to myself ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I have to say, one of the few things Christians and I can agree on morally is that pride is, more often than not, an abomination.

There are two things I've learned while walking my path: One, my spirituality does not (or should not) end when I close my circle, and two, the acts of giving and sacrifice should be given freely and with joy, not out of a sense of obligation or out of fear of retribution. When I give offerings to my gods it is from the heart, it is an act of siding with them and their ways and of giving genuine thanks.

One of the less savory traits I see quite often in people is this habit of expecting something in return when they do something which is kind on the surface. There is of course a time when we have to prevent or stop others from taking advantage of us: "I am the strength that protects, that limits; I am the power that says 'No!' and 'No further!' and 'That is enough!'" But when I give of myself to somebody else, I do it because I want to. I'm not asking myself "Now, what can I ask him for in return later?" It doesn't swell my ego, it simply makes me feel good knowing that I could do something nice for another human being. "Let my worship be in the heart that sings, for behold, all acts of willing sacrifice are my rituals."

Having pride in oneself for personal achievement is a different story. One is perfectly entitled to feel a sense of pride after earning a success. That, after all, is what drives one to further achievement. Only when one swings to an extreme and becomes a douchebag does pride become detrimental and annoying.

So in the end, as far as my Pagan Pride goes, I suppose it's nice that I can be reasonably open about my beliefs without fear of consequences and can answer people's questions, but I can't say it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. It just is what it is.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'm proud to be Pagan, just as I assume members of other faiths should be proud to be theirs. Pride in oneself isn't something that we should be ashamed of.

Comment

I've been thinking about this for a while...and today I read a post that sums it up:

But yes, you are lucky. Too many little girls grow up being told that girls can only be sinners or servants. They are told the world is screwed up because the first screw-up came from a woman, and that somehow it remains their fault. Too many of them are told that they'll never be as good as boys, that they'll never be as strong, or as charismatic, or as smart. Too many little girls are told that there's something wrong with them from the moment they are born, that because they are girls, they are always going to be inferior.
          But not you. You'll grow up knowing that you, yourself, are a sacred being, that there's nothing wrong and everything right with being a girl. You'll grow up knowing that the world can be pretty great place, and that you can make it even better. You'll grow up knowing that it's okay to love yourself, and to love the world around you too. A lot of people never get to know that, and most of those who do have to go through a lot of pain to get there. But you'll get it from the start.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X