Looking for a goddess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a goddess

Is there a goddess who would manifest as a woman clothed in blue? She would also have a portfolio dealing with children or memories.
    Thanks for the help.sorry I can't be more specific.

Re: Looking for a goddess

I can't think of one off the top of my head...you might have the best luck asking her who she is if you get the chance.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Well...Mnemosyne is the Greek embodiment/goddess of memory (and mother of the 9 muses), but not tied to children specifically that I know of...but, her Roman counterpart, Moneta is either a goddess in her own right and/or an epithet of Juno...and while this specific epithet has nothing specifically to do with children, Juno herself (as a goddess of/for women) is by default (and several of her epithets) connected to motherhood, childbirth, etc (though there is come contention of the connection between Moneta=Mnemosyne as a linguistic mistake).

(Mnemosyne by Rosetti)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

If I remember right, you're looking for a Celtic deity, right? I just though of a potential lead, too:

There were shrines to Coventina along Hadrian's Wall: Not much is known about her, but she was a river goddess, and her name has been tentatively tied to a word for memory by some.

Comment

Yah, I did ask her who she was the last time I saw her. She smiled and disappeared. And I'm not sure if this was my own brain rewiring, but she had a blue aura. The reason that I thought children or memory is that when I first saw her, I was(in my meditation) exploring a location from my very early childhood, a day care I had attended as a kindergartner. Does that help at all?

Comment

Well, this isn't very pagany, but I'll throw it out anyway-

The Catholic's "Mary" is always depicted in blue (which represents purity), and one of her specific charges is to watch over children.

It might be worth while to look at who she was before she was a Christian deity, if you want an actual pagan deity (personally, I just let her hang around with my pagan pantheon because I like her. I'm very accepting of minority deities).
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

hmmm....I have no idea where to even start researching where the Pre-Christian idea of Mary is from.

Comment

I don't know either, but, at guess, I'd try the Romanized version of Isis. Apuleius (around the second century a.d.) is quite clear in his opinion that she was pretty much a universal mother/protector goddess. It would have been an easy transformation.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hm. I'm not really sure....I feel like I might be barking up the wrong tree with the mother imagery. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong about any of the other imagery as well, too. Thanks for the help, though.

Comment

Don't worry if you don't figure it out right away...I had Frey and Gerda show up in my life last fall around this time. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, since they didn't "fit" with what I was thinking...she doesn't care what I call her, and he wouldn't tell me. Around March I saw a picture on another site that was my "ah-hah" moment.

One of those things I really wish I'd payed more attention to when discussed on the old board.

When you figure it out, you'll know.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      I don't know either, but, at guess, I'd try the Romanized version of Isis. Apuleius (around the second century a.d.) is quite clear in his opinion that she was pretty much a universal mother/protector goddess. It would have been an easy transformation.
                      I was thinking Nut, to be honest...
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Could well be - all I really know is Apuleius, so I'm certain to be missing something. Many somethings.

Comment

Oh, I wasn't saying you're wrong (though I take a lot of Greco-Roman accounts with a grain of salt), it's just where my mind went
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

to descend."

Comment

Oh I understand completely!

Like I said, I really don't know enough - I was making a suggestion as to where to begin looking.

My thinking was that something which went into Catholic culture at an early date most likely (purely at an educated guess) came from Rome. I know that the deities which were picked up by the Romans were changed in the process (the Roman Isis was somewhat different from the Egyptian Isis), but that's where the trail might go, I'm thinkin'.

It's probably an impossible question to answer exactly, since it's also likely that the concept of "Mary" is a comglomerate - more or less.

Comment

Oh, yes. At the risk of going off topic I remember the interesting conversation where I had to explain to my Catholic siblings that the epithet "The Queen of Heaven" wasn't exclusive to their faith.
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X