Candles and Soaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candles and Soaps

Another thread resurrection.....show off your stuff!

I mostly pour tealights and floating candles, but also votives and jars.

I like to pour bi-colored tealights even though it's probably silly since the color gets all blended when they're lit. I use a 50/50 soy-paraffin blend, though I plan to go straight soy when I exhaust my paraffin supply.

Re: Candles and Soaps

Nice!!!

Comment

So fun!! I need to find more time to do that.

Comment

Cute! Where do you get supplies to do something like that? I'm not sure I've ever seen them at the craft store.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=379.msg4998#msg4998 date=1287529146]Cute! Where do you get supplies to do something like that? I'm not sure I've ever seen them at the craft store. [/quote]

I got my candle making supplies from a Jo-Ann Fabric store. They sell soap making supplies in the same aisle there. I have seen the same stuff in their larger stores across the country, although exactly what they have locally varies some. Other larger craft stores probably have some supplies as well.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I have all the fixings to make some beeswax drip candles, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Hmm....I sense a project in the works. What I want to do is this: http://kneek.wordpress.com/2007/01/31/beeswax-candles/

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=Gardenia link=topic=379.msg5017#msg5017 date=1287531649]
              I got my candle making supplies from a Jo-Ann Fabric store. They sell soap making supplies in the same aisle there. I have seen the same stuff in their larger stores across the country, although exactly what they have locally varies some. Other larger craft stores probably have some supplies as well.
              [/quote]

Huh...I could just be looking in the wrong place, then, too. We only have a tiny local place within a more then 30 minute drive, so they carry what the owner is into for the most part.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I initially got some of my supplies from Jo-Ann, but the stores in my area discontinued all candle and soap making supplies a few months ago. It is a total bummer because when I run out of wax I'm going to have to order online and wax is heavy so shipping will be high. I bought out all their flaked soy wax and paraffin blocks when they marked it down and still have about 30 pounds of paraffin and 24 pounds of soy flakes. I also order some of my supplies from here: http://www.candlesupply.com/
                You can also (sometimes) find good deals on dye blocks, wick tabs, wicking, and tealight cups on ebay.

Comment

I've found my new candle project....candle holder that is.

An idea came to me in the middle of the night.  What if I could create my own candleholders and planters with plastic items purchased from the local market ...

Comment

I make beeswax chime candles right now, but I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I'll try to get some pics up when I have them.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

Michael's also carries the kits, most any craft/hobby store should.

I've always wondered if it'd be possible to somehow mold around an intricate statue and make a candle mold from it. I found it to be an interesting challenge have candles shaped as the guardians I work with instead of carving their image on a pillar or drawing on the outside of a 7day. Plus would just look hardcore lol
                      -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                      (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

[quote author=Storm link=topic=379.msg29966#msg29966 date=1295612416]
                        I've found my new candle project....candle holder that is.

An idea came to me in the middle of the night.  What if I could create my own candleholders and planters with plastic items purchased from the local market ...

[/quote]

I might have to try that, there are so many possibilities!
                        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=KashakuTatsu link=topic=379.msg29998#msg29998 date=1295630941]
                          I've always wondered if it'd be possible to somehow mold around an intricate statue and make a candle mold from it. I found it to be an interesting challenge have candles shaped as the guardians I work with instead of carving their image on a pillar or drawing on the outside of a 7day. Plus would just look hardcore lol
                          [/quote]

Dick Blick sells materials for making flexible molds - you might want to look through this: http://www.dickblick.com/categories/moldingcasting/

There's most likely something that would work.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I buy my stuff from Hobby Lobby. I bought a candle maker from there a few years back. I've used it lots of times, but I've never taken pictures. I do make elemental colored tea lights though. I use them on my altar. They aren't as pretty as Storm's though. I also use metal tea light holders that I've saved from ones I purchased at the store. Same goes for my jars and other holders. Nice way to recycle them and they make great gifts. I also get beeswax from my parent's bee hives. I also use their honey for homemade soaps. At first I thought my parents were nuts for wanting bees, but now I'm loving it crafting wise.

Comment

Working...
                            X