This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strangest book you've read

What is the strangest, funniest (in a strange way), or most odd book on Paganism or magic you've ever read?

Mine probably isn't all that strange, but it is odd in comparison to most books on the market today.

I have in my possession a copy of "The Modern Witch's Spellbook" by Sarah Lyddon Morrison, copyrighted 1971. The first funny thing I have to say would be the inscription: "For my dear, long-suffering husband, Ralph, who lives with the constant frear [sic] that he's been bewitched."

The book is 240 pages long, exactly half of which are composed of love spells (most of them manipulative), aphrodisiacs (some of which include ingredients like snake skin, ants, and human fingers) and anaphrodisiacs, and divinations concerning love. Apparently this woman was highly affected by the Free Love era.

58 pages are devoted to "black magic," including spells specifically designed to "maim and kill." I personally don't believe that hexcraft is morally wrong 100% of the time, but I do think it's odd that a few of these spells call upon God (as in Yahweh) to smite the caster's enemies, while in the very same chapter there are several spells which call upon Lucifer (as in the Devil) and "Black spirits of the night who riseth from the shadows of hell" for the same reason. Her sense of morality is muddled at best:

"At midnight on the third day, drink red wine and eat a communion wafer (stolen from a church). As you sip and eat, say the following prayer:

"I take the benediction of these items, Oh Lord, that they may preserve me from any evil vapors and Hell creatures cast up in the course of my undertaking."

From the very same spell: "Come into this wax, O Spirits of Darkness, Mighty Lucifer, Bealzebuth, Leviuthan, Balbirethe, Asmodeus, Asteroth . . .kill [your enemy's name], I command you!"

The book is also littered with strange personal accounts, such as a man she knew who was so prominent at magically charming pretty girls that they all eventually ganged up on him and would have killed him had the author not arrived in just the nick of time to magically restrain them.

More humorously, the book is blatantly colored by the time in which it was written. Lyddon uses the word "groovy" several times and refers to "neat" guys with afros and bell bottoms. *chuckle*

All that aside, I do like the book. I feel that its stark contrast to most books of its kind make it an amusing read, and there are included a number of spells and talismans for more useful and pragmatic intentions than love and murder, such as to heal acne and to prevent sunstroke.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: The strangest book you've read

Originally posted by Clive View Post
    What is the strangest, funniest (in a strange way), or most odd book on Paganism or magic you've ever read?
    I think for me it was the Vodoun Gnostic Workbook by Michael Bertiaux.

I don't know if they've cleaned it up any during its republication, but it is so poorly written that I could barely make heads or tails about what the author was trying to do. He expounded at length on the nature and activities of outer-space transdimensional were-spiders.

I kind of kicked myself in the head over this book because I had taken my copy to the local used book store, only to see it on amazon & eBay a few years later selling at phenomenal prices. Now, though, it's back down to the under $30 range. I may have to pick it up again for the novelty factor.

I have in my possession a copy of "The Modern Witch's Spellbook" by Sarah Lyddon Morrison, copyrighted 1971.
    That was my very first book on witchcraft!

I re-read it last year and almost died with hysterical, non-stop laughter. She also gives the potentially fatal advice of picking wild mushrooms under the full (or might have been new, can't remember) moon and feeding them to the victim of your love spell.
    Last edited by Ophidia; 17 Oct 2011, 10:39.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The Bible

oh wait... Pagan.

The Moon and You. It goes through the phases of the moon and describes the attributes of those born under the different ones. Pretty interesting, and definitely a new one for me. But it certainly helped to clarify why I can be a bit wild at times.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Covencraft by Amber K. According to her "history" section: Rome never fell; the Plantagenets were Wiccan; the Anglos, Saxons, and Jutes all got along; the Church of Ireland never proselytized; Christianity only brought about war and suffering (because, you know, everything was fine and dandy until Christianity came along); and it gives a whopping few sentences of a nod to actual history, all with the disclaimer of "history is written by the winners", therefore absolving her of the craptacular history lesson. Before I sold the book I'd read that chapter for a laugh. Heck, I even loaned it to my boss (he had a history degree) for a laugh, where he brought up the point of the Plantagenets.

To be honest, though, I think most of the implication comes from a combination of a poor command of semantics and grammar in addition to flunking every history course she's taken.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

LOL, trans-dimensional were-spiders. *chuckle*

I've never read any of Amber K's books and I can see that I don't need to. The Plantagenets were Wiccans, you say? I didn't know Wicca existed in the 1100s. -_-
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
            Covencraft by Amber K. According to her "history" section: Rome never fell; the Plantagenets were Wiccan; the Anglos, Saxons, and Jutes all got along; the Church of Ireland never proselytized; Christianity only brought about war and suffering (because, you know, everything was fine and dandy until Christianity came along); and it gives a whopping few sentences of a nod to actual history, all with the disclaimer of "history is written by the winners", therefore absolving her of the craptacular history lesson. Before I sold the book I'd read that chapter for a laugh. Heck, I even loaned it to my boss (he had a history degree) for a laugh, where he brought up the point of the Plantagenets.

To be honest, though, I think most of the implication comes from a combination of a poor command of semantics and grammar in addition to flunking every history course she's taken.
            I have that book! I read it once when I was younger, and then I bought an old copy of it when I found it for cheap. I couldn't help myself - I had to have it for nostalgia. She wrote something I found online about ... Oh, wait, let me see if I can find a link...

A-ha!
            This website is for sale! nostrajewellery.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nostrajewellery.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This is apparently by Amber K, too, and I got a kick out of the way she insists on the reality of some phenomena, such as telekinesis, and then rolls her eyes at others, like auras, when they all sound perfectly goofy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
              Covencraft by Amber K. According to her "history" section: Rome never fell....
              *falls out of chair*

I should be nice about this one. I mean, some people just suck at research. It's not as if the split and then fall of Rome was covered in ninth grade....

Erhh, wait. 9th grade world history did mention that. WHERE'S THE BRAIN BLEACH?!!!

Originally posted by Clive
              58 pages are devoted to "black magic," including spells specifically designed to "maim and kill." I personally don't believe that hexcraft is morally wrong 100% of the time, but I do think it's odd that a few of these spells call upon God (as in Yahweh) to smite the caster's enemies, while in the very same chapter there are several spells which call upon Lucifer (as in the Devil) and "Black spirits of the night who riseth from the shadows of hell" for the same reason. Her sense of morality is muddled at best:

"At midnight on the third day, drink red wine and eat a communion wafer (stolen from a church). As you sip and eat, say the following prayer:

"I take the benediction of these items, Oh Lord, that they may preserve me from any evil vapors and Hell creatures cast up in the course of my undertaking."

From the very same spell: "Come into this wax, O Spirits of Darkness, Mighty Lucifer, Bealzebuth, Leviuthan, Balbirethe, Asmodeus, Asteroth . . .kill [your enemy's name], I command you!"
              I don't think limited morality is the main issue there so much as lack of brains and good judgment. I'd be expecting Yahweh to make a personal task of booting me into next week over some of this. Lets see, I'm going to steal from a man's house and call him with the stolen goods. How does this plan not end with me getting my ass kicked? Even better, I have prescribed methods to call someone in to grant aid against my enemies but I'm going to instead call upon this being to protect me as I call up the rebels that he had a compelling need to pound into the dirt and then I'll ask the rebels to strike down my enemies.

Maybe I'm treating Yahweh as too human but if I'm gonna incorporate him into my craftwork then I'm actually going to try and avoid convincing him to shove lightning up various bodily orifices. I like fire and lightning as much as the next guy but I like breathing a bit more.

To the OP:

Probably one of the Silver Ravenwolf books that came complete with ancient wiccans but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I read a book focused toward Pagans. Pretty sure there was also a Saxon Wicca book that annoyed me buy that wasn't strange. The author was just more condescending than I cared for.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Amber K's book are definitely strange, one of hers was the first book I read when I firs starting thinking about all this stuff when I was like 11 years old. It was a good book imo at the time, for someone who knew absolutely nothing as there were a few things I took from the book that I found helpful, more so ideals and or methods but I was really thrown of by its lack of any factual information. It's not like the stuff from, (how the person above identified it) from "her history" really had any barring on the points she was trying to make. SO yes Amber K, books some of the strangest I've ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by AsatruDruid View Post
                  Amber K's book are definitely strange, one of hers was the first book I read when I firs starting thinking about all this stuff when I was like 11 years old. It was a good book imo at the time, for someone who knew absolutely nothing as there were a few things I took from the book that I found helpful, more so ideals and or methods but I was really thrown of by its lack of any factual information. It's not like the stuff from, (how the person above identified it) from "her history" really had any barring on the points she was trying to make. SO yes Amber K, books some of the strangest I've ever read.
                  This makes me wonder what she looks like. Wonder what happens when I Google Image search her.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                    This makes me wonder what she looks like. Wonder what happens when I Google Image search her.
                    Here's a 2008 interview with her that has a photo: Santa Fe Reporter interview

Compared w/her books, it's not all that bad of an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      Here's a 2008 interview with her that has a photo: Santa Fe Reporter interview

Compared w/her books, it's not all that bad of an interview.
                      That's pretty much how I pictured her to look. Also, this interview kinda confirms what I suspected the whole time about her take on Wicca.
                      Last edited by Caelia; 18 Oct 2011, 16:46. Reason: dag blast it!
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

The first book I had about witchcraft was "Mastering Witchcraft" by Paul Huson - which included Christian formulae, renouncing baptism by repeating the Lord's Prayer backwards, curses and so-on. I suppose it was quite strange. Well, quite strange to a person used to reading more mainstream neo-pagan stuff - but it led to an interest in Christianised magics, and to some of the ideas of Agrippa etc. Basically in the early modern+ magic/common magic traditions.

The worst book I've heard of has to be Witta by Eoin McCoy - who seems to forget that the potato is not native to Ireland...

Comment

Originally posted by Christophilos View Post
                          The worst book I've heard of has to be Witta by Eoin McCoy - who seems to forget that the potato is not native to Ireland...
                          She's not the only one... :::cough*SilverRavenwolf*cough:::

Comment

Should I mention how many of them thought pumpkins were from the Old World? Or should I let you catch your breath from laughter?
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

to descend."

Comment

The strangest book I have ever read was called "Goth Craft" by Raven Digitalis.

He basically insinuates that goth and pagan/wiccan are one and the same and that they go hand in hand. Basically feeding the stereotype. I really felt like he wrote the book in order to make money of of newcomers to both lifestyles who are only there for a "creep" factor.

As a goth and a Pagan, I was actually deeply offended that he made this assumption and even published to make bank of people who don't know any better.

Comment

Working...
                              X