This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help!

I am just starting to get serious about researching paganism now. I grew up Christian and for the past few years I have been calling myself atheist but neither of those things feel right. I am interested in any belief about a god and a goddess, because that's just the direction I've been heading in, but I really don't know what else I believe. I know Wicca believes in a god and goddess so if anyone could give me some good credible resources to learn about Wicca that would be great. If there are other pagan beliefs involving a god and goddess I'd love to hear about those, too. Thanks!!

Re: I need help!

You don't HAVE to believe in a God or Goddess.

I believe that our Creator is simply the universe and that we are all one / connected.

I don't know if that makes me a pagan, as I don't follow other gods or goddesses, let alone believe in God the Bible depicts.

Comment

I know I don't have to but that's something that feels more right to me than anything else I've claimed to believe and anything else that I've thought about.

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and looked at the book "Wicca for the Solitary Practicioner" and I have a more specific question: can you be wiccan without performing rituals? Can I just believe in and worship the god and goddess without all of that? Because the description of them in the book sounded perfect.

Comment

You can pretty much do whatever you want to do. Don't stress so much about the labels. It's not that important.

Start with figuring out what you think you believe and don't believe, then go find out if there is a name for it. Look for a book called 'Spirited' by Gede Parma. The guide for solitary will certainly help with the 'what to do', but it sounds like your crisis of identity is more about the belief and the 'why' behind pagan practice.

The inner temple by Christopher Penczack is another good start.

Remember that paganism and most of these labeled paths function more like a spiritual path than a religion. You're not going to find a guru out there to tell exactly what to do and why to do it. It's up to you to find your own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Daenerys View Post
          I know I don't have to but that's something that feels more right to me than anything else I've claimed to believe and anything else that I've thought about.

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and looked at the book "Wicca for the Solitary Practicioner" and I have a more specific question: can you be wiccan without performing rituals? Can I just believe in and worship the god and goddess without all of that? Because the description of them in the book sounded perfect.
          Wicca is pretty much an umbrella term by now so the answer to this may vary depending on which branch of Wiccan you talk to.

You can, shamelessly steal/borrow as much of Wiccan philosophy/belief as you like and adapt it to your own life. If the Lord and/or Lady are overly annoyed with you then they'll get around to telling you when they see fit. Ritual is not vital to belief in and communing with Divine forces. It can be convenient but it's not normally absolutely essential.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Reading is your friend. Go buy a book.

Comment

As is stated in The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy "Don't panic".
              As they(^) have said don't worry about labels, figure out YOUR beliefs not someone else's, and probably one of the most important pieces of advice given(right after your beliefs)here is to read, read, and read. Not everything written is gold, but like gold you have to search for it and that takes time and effort on your part.
              Enjoy your journey and your path.
              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I liked Doreen Valiente's work - she was a good writer.
                The book you're talking about seems to be well respected.

Comment

Don't limit yourself to just books on Wicca or Paganism. Check out some mythology and folk-tales, too. Greek, Roman, Norse, Celtic/British, African, indigenous peoples... Many Pagans worship the same deities that ancient cultures worshiped, and mythology is a fantastic way to get to know some of the deities better.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

a good read would be Bulfinch's Mythology, to get some idea of the mythology of the past. More for a general idea about what there is to choose from. Also good for understanding what these many systems belived and the day to day practice.
                    It can be obtained from the Gutenberg site.

Project Gutenberg is a library of free eBooks.

They have made many old,out of print works available in electronic form
                    They also are doing talking books from Volunteers.

Great site .
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I second the advice on reading and doing as much research as possible, but I also wanted to add that if you're worried about the ritual or witchier aspects of some Pagan religions, I don't think they are always necessary. I've always been drawn to ritual, personally, even when I was a Christian. I guess it all depends on what you consider "ritual." My Catholic grandmother lights a candle each week in church for each of her grandchildren, believing God will watch over us and bring us good things in the coming week. To me, that is as much a ritual as a Wiccan setting up a formal altar and doing their rituals. As far as witchcraft, I have always considered that a practice that is included in some religions, but not a religion itself. I do practice witchcraft, but depending on the purpose of the spell, it may or may not be entirely separate from my religion (for example, sometimes I use energy to fuel a spell that comes entirely from myself or other more "worldly" sources, other times I will ask a deity to aid in a spell for an extra umph). Just some things to think about as you go along and find what's comfortable for YOU. Hope that made sense...love writing forum postings at 7:30 AM with half a cup of coffee in me.

Comment

Working...
                      X