This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green man and Mother earth

Okay so I am studying deities, guides and just connecting with the divine. I was attracted to egytpian deitites, then I found out that isnt really my calling. I found out since I was a kid I would always stare at trees, flowers, plants, I would also make flowers be action figures instead of toys. (I would play with weeds) I then started to study the Green man, and thought maybe when I look in the trees, plants etc, that is him. And when I walk on the earth I feel as though a mother is letting me walk on the fertile planes. When I walk outside in a forest, or just in my back yard I feel as though somone, is watching me. Like the trees, plants, animals, and grass has a deity pressence to it. I only have one problem. If I see the green man and the goddess in nature, how would I see them being in me and in my house and outside our earth. Like I see them in plants and trees, but when Im inside im not really connected. so my question is, is mother earth, and the green god/man not just in nature, but also in me, in my food, in my clothes, cells, blood, furniature? appliences because everything comes from the earth? and also do they exist in the stars and moon and sun. When I see space I still feel that pressence, but im just confused. anywho sorry for being confused, and I feel annoying cause I post so much, but my mind is all over the place, so I am sorry for this <3 Blessings to all and blessed be

Re: Green man and Mother earth

I'm not a follower of specifically the Green Man, but I think that they are with us, whether we are inside or outside. As someone else posted in the forum, all man-made materials had to first come from the Earth, so technically They are already inside. IMHO, the gods are always around, it's us humans that often put them at arms-length or farther. If you are wondering how to bring more of their influence into your home, you could start with getting and tending a potted plant in your place. You could give thanks for the food that you are putting into your body, or hold a thankful attitude that the lights, plumbing, and heating work. Up until the Industrial Revolution (and still so in some Third World countries), humans had to work hard for their basic needs. We live in a time when those immediate needs don't determine life or death. Whether you are doing a ritual, or giving thanks, make it sincere. The intentions we hold can make any and every place holy.

Comment

There are more then one member of this forum who in the end have found that they have no need to pin down and name the way they specifically experience the Divine.

It also makes perfect sense to me to feel more connected in nature then in the average man-made structure.

I'd say don't let it worry you too much. Embrace that feeling--that beautiful connection--when and where you find it, and let time start to show you a pattern.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I think it is because there is so much apathy in creating inanimate objects these days. If you walk into an old house that contains old furniture, you can get that same paranoid feeling. But you can also feel the love and warmth that emanates from the very structure and furniture. People used to put love into most of the work they did, and that love left an impression. (Of course, not always...you can find old objects that contain quite a bit of negative energy! But, in most, people took pride in their work, so it left a positive imprint.) These days, however, things are just assembled by folks who just do so to pay the bills. Houses are no longer built by those who will be calling them home, but by a team of builders who have no emotional connection to the structure. So, instead of having a home that is filled with positivity, our homes are full of apathy, which causes us to feel disconnected from the Divine. While, in nature, we can feel the natural flow of serenity and more connected with the Divine.

Comment

They do indeed exist in everything, even synthetic materials. Humans didn't just pull those materials out of their behinds, they created them from raw, natural materials. They tweaked and transformed them in ways that the Earth can't, yes, but I doubt that They see these materials as anything less than more of their children. I see it sort of like a pair of grandparents accepting their son or daughter's adopted children as their own.

But even humans sometimes have trouble feeling the exact same way about, just for example, an adopted child as they would about one they themselves conceived, and it is true that for most of us it is easier and "more natural" to connect with the gods and goddesses of the Earth when you are surrounded by their bodies and bounty. To this end, I recommend having plenty of houseplants first and foremost. In tending to them and working with them, you are connecting yourself with your brothers and sisters and in turn with the Lord and Lady. Having plenty of windows which are unblocked by curtains and blinds also helps, as does keeping the windows open when it isn't too cold (or perhaps even when it's freezing if you want to connect with them in their Waxing God and Leprous White Lady aspects!). You might also find it helpful to invest in a fish tank or some other type of exotic pet. Even more ordinary types of pets such as cats and dogs will work to the same end, but the idea is to take yourself out of the ordinary.

Everything in the Universe is essentially dust and gas. It all comes from the same source, so yes, the deities of Earth are in everything we have and everything we are, including our cells, food, and clothing. This is where the greeting "Thou art God, Thou art Goddess" comes from. You and I are not gods, but a small part of them exists within us - what some people call a soul. Clothing is made of fibers, which grow from the Earth; food comes from plant and animal materials, which also come from the Earth. No matter how much humans manipulate something, it still came from Them.

It's okay to be confused. Spiritual growth isn't easy and the most foolish thing anyone can believe is that they have all of the answers. Life is a journey with no real ending, so be patient and just go where Mom and Dad guide you. Keep meditating and praying, and I recommend learning a grounding and centering exercise that is suitable for you. Not only does grounding get you in direct, intimate contact with the Earth, it also keeps your mind from trying to think a billion thoughts at once.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'm very much in agreement with Clive...EVERY particle in the universe (or multiverse, if you follow M-theory) is part of Deity. I had wanted to say as much, but I'm never really sure how to explain it. Clive did a splendid job of it! What I was trying to explain is that, although everything has deity presence, perhaps the reason some people are not as receptive to it from man-made objects is Emotional. Maybe it's from actual emotion imprinted on an object, or maybe it's just from your emotional perception that deity cannot manifest in man-made objects.

...And now, I'm not sure where I was headed with that...I really shouldn't post on bad ADD days! Hope I at least made sense...

Comment

IMO: The Divine is a part of everything. Individual deities (by whatever name you greet them as) are also part of the Divine, as is the physical world--all of the physical world whether made by man, other animals and plants, geological or meteorological processes, or cosmic forces. It is, I think, easiest for (most of us) to find Divinity directly in nature because, evolutionairly speaking, we (as a species) have been intimately involved with it and dependent upon it for longer than or iGadgets, etc. I think this can be challenged by establishing a relationship with our accouterments of modern life (I name my computer, my car and my stove) as well as by alterning their appearance into something that speaks to us (or it could be that as the mother of two small children that I have become accustomed to stickers on appliances, and they look naked otherwise).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your support and postive and intelligent responses. This just put a weight off my shoulder. I dont think I should give them a lable, but just experience them, and Yes I will start having my blinds open so I can see the outside (snowing currently) and I will try and bring plants in my house I have a dog which she helps me connect in some way, also currently I have fake plants atm because I am not really a good plant keeper in the winter time lmaooo. Also Maybe if I didnt worry about giving the divine a name, and just say they are the particles and the house hold objects come from them (nature) then I would be better off. Its just lables, just like moms and dads go by, they may go by doctor, teacher, daughter, mother, grandmother, but yet its all the same person. Thanks everyone Hope everything goes well and blessings to you all !!!

Comment

I've been following this on my phone all day but couldn't post until I got home and had my laptop.

This is an area close to my heart as I have been actively researching these special aspects of deity. As I have mentioned in other posts, Earth Mother (or Goddess as I prefer) and Green Man (Green God), have always been a part of my theology but were never really given centre stage when I belonged to a coven. Now I am free to go in whichever direction I wish, in effect, I too am now 'wild', these two have stepped forwards much more strongly.

Research into Green Man imagery has been easy, learning anything about his significance and possible worship has not been. I wish there was an 'ask a reconstructionist' thread here because I would LOVE to know how they preserve historical accuracy of something for which there appears to be so little information. Most of what I believe I know about Green God and Earth Goddess, I have received as inspirations which I believe were from them themselves. Getting to know them has crossed over with trying to get to know my Patrons too, and has basically dominated the past few weeks and is something that I am sure shall continue for months to come.

With that in mind, I shall offer my own thoughts on the matter.

I could write for hours about what I have learnt from both books and my own experiences, but I would not be addressing your question if I did. My answer then, comes from my own recent difficulty in understanding his connection with the sun. He is far more an image of death and rebirth to me, when compared with the Horned God, whom Wiccans generally see as the sacrificial God. This connected the Green Man more directly to the sun but I struggled to work out how.

I came to understand that God, is physical matter, he is the fire and light of the stars (including our sun), while the Goddess is the empty spaces between. Everything in the universe, as others have already pointed out, is made from the same stuff. Everything came from the same creative point and was once part of the stars. So God is indeed in everything you can see and feel.

But, there is something unique about Green God, at least in my theological understanding. He is the sun's energy taken physical form in which to move amongst us. Plants directly transform the sun's energy into growth, they trap it and make it into something not only physical, but also that fuels the rest of life on Earth. This, for me, was where I experienced my first mystery of Green God.

He IS purer and wilder outside in nature, but now that I understand that his essence, that star stuff, is also in objects you would consider far removed from nature, I began to experience him everywhere. Getting to know him is turning out to be an amazing ride.

I am sorry I did not really explore Earth Goddess for you, but my understanding of her is similar, but already more established so I haven't been as actively seeking her as I have the Green God. I fear if I begin to discuss her, I'd fall into the trap of explaining their relationship and not at all answer your question.

Having said that, as it is refreshing to hear of someone seeking out the same deities, I would be delighted to share notes with you. It's hard to find much information that isn't speculation, so hearing another seekers opinions would be really helpful and gratefully received.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I don't believe that putting a label on a deity is all that necessary. They know who they are. More importantly, they know who we are....
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thank you for replying, Maybe if we inbox eachother about notes that could work out? like we could dicuss our views and notes on the green god, because right now I am about to do some research on him. And we can share our opinions and stuff

Comment

I would LOVE that, yes! We could even maybe consider sharing our thoughts in a blog when we are done?

As for not needing to define deity, I can see both sides of this coin. As a witch with heavy wiccan influence, the 'all goda are one god' idea sits perfectly well with me. However, at the same time, I cannot deny that I have felt much closer to god since finding a name for him which works for me, even though nothing is known about the deity behind the name (I just spent the last two days not far from where the only inscription to him is found and it was very refreshing).

I see Green Man and Earth Goddess more as archetypes that appear in various forms in many parts of the world, than actual specific deities (although specific deities may come under this archetype). Working with archetypes can be a useful tool for exploring our own psyches and understanding how we relate to the world around us.

The danger in my opinion, comes when we put too much emphasis on detail and accuracy. It might work for some people, but after trying this approach for a few weeks, it feels to me like forcing a face and personality on deities that might not choose to relate to us in some archeic form that was relivent to a completely different lifestyle. Far better to just open up and let your intuition and inspiration guide you.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                        X