Dandruff treatments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dandruff treatments?

Yup, I've got it. I've had it for a few years now but it was never bad enough to bother me, but it seems to be getting worse. It's not the itchy, painful, red kind, fortunately, it's just a lot of dead skin. Like, I can make snow if I scratch my head. Even worse, I shave my head which makes it more obvious. For an aftershave I use olive oil with tea tree and patchouli oils, and while they prevent any irritation from the razor it doesn't do a thing for the dandruff, even though tea tree and patchouli are supposed to be good remedies for it.

I've also tried shampooing and exfoliating to no avail. I haven't tried dandruff shampoo yet 'cause I'd like to find something more natural before I resort to that. Any ideas?
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Dandruff treatments?

Have you tried apple cider vinegar?

(it works for my dog, and I've heard of others using it)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=408.msg5399#msg5399 date=1287623511]
      Have you tried apple cider vinegar?

(it works for my dog, and I've heard of others using it)
      [/quote]

No, I was just reading about that, in fact. Apparently lemon juice or olive oil infused with lemon peel is good for it too. I'll give it a try. Thanks for confirming.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

OK so dandruff is a hard one to treat because there can be so many triggers that cause dandruff. Apple cider or cosmetic vinegar work great (watered down to about 1 teaspoon in half a cup warm water) however this simple removes the dandruff and doesn't treat the underlying cause.

Obviously the best way to treat a problem is to treat the cause so identifying what causes your dandruff is important. often it can be a mild allergic reaction or sensitivity to something (a hat, shampoo, hair product) and avoiding that will reduce your dandruff. shaving can also be a trigger due to the inflammation brought on by micro-cuts most razors cause. also while tea tree and patchouli are meant to be good for dandruff they can also cause irritation to sensitive skin. maybe a switch to a good quality coconut oil or something less overpowering and more moisturising. finally the sunburn is also a very big trigger of dandruff accelerating the shedding cycle of the skin. using a good sunscreen or wearing a hat to protect the sensitive skin of the scalp can be a big help in preventing dandruff.
        But mummy the other religions dont have to 'an it harm none'

Comment

I'd avoid tea tree for large-scale applications like a full, freshly shaved scalp. You also don't want to use products w/a lot of alcohol that will dry your skin further.

You can try rosemary-infused oils or rosemary tea as a conditioner/tonic. Lightly exfoliating with a loofah or net poof before shaves can help remove excess dead skin.

Much like Zachai stated, it's hard to treat it if you don't know why you have it - checking w/a dermatologist or even a barber first might be the best way to start.

The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

So far the vinegar has been working. I just slap some on my head earlier in the day and then wash with a bit of shampoo and a washcloth before I shave. It seems to be doing the trick.

I can't imagine what the underlying cause might be, though. I had dandruff for over a year before the first time I ever shaved my head; I until I started using the vinegar I wasn't using shampoo and I don't use any other products, nor did I start wearing a hat until it got cold; I always wear sunblock during the spring and summer months; I don't use alcohol on it.

I read that some types of dandruff are caused by having too much moisture in the scalp, so when I started using the vinegar I stopped putting oils of any kind on my head and began drying off my scalp after my shower.

I'll give the rosemary infusion a try. The only downside to the vinegar is that I seem to have a minor allergy to it when I use it topically - the skin on my head and neck just below the scalp line gets red and slightly itchy, but it doesn't last very long, thankfully. It's tolerable enough, supposing it's the only thing that'll help.

At this time, I don't have the money to see a dermatologist or even a barber, but I will keep it in mind.

Thank you both for your advice.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

My skin tends to be very sensitive, so Rosemary actually irritates it.

I found, though, that part of my problem tends to be wanting to take really hot showers in winter. Perhaps cooling your water down a bit, or having a cool rinse before you get out might help, too?
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=408.msg23246#msg23246 date=1292646371]

I found, though, that part of my problem tends to be wanting to take really hot showers in winter. Perhaps cooling your water down a bit, or having a cool rinse before you get out might help, too?
                [/quote]

I don't use very hot water, and I do finish up with a cool rinse after I shave. :-\
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=408.msg23246#msg23246 date=1292646371]

[/quote]
                  That's exactly what happens to me. I have to force myself to lower the temp when I get to the hair washing part. When I do go hot, I get it directly on the middle of my scalp where my part usually is.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm with everyone else in that you have to know what causes it. I'm still not sure with mine, but fungal shampoos don't work and neither do mild, natural products so I've ruled out fungus or sensitive skin.

For me, it works for a couple of weeks if I use olive oil. I heat up the oil (usually mixed with essential oils like rose and lavender because they soothe the scalp and also then my head doesn't smell like Italian food) and I use a comb to make parts and apply the oil along the parts and then massage it into the scalp and leave it overnight. It takes about 2 shampoos to get the oil out, but luckily I have SUPER dry hair anyway so it doesn't really make it too greasy after that.
                    I also exfoliate my scalp regularly by brushing it with a knobby bristle brush before I wash my hair. and I bathe rather than shower because a) it helps my other dry skin, and b) since you're soaking it it loosens the skin more and gets it out better than showering.

Since you shave your head it might be easier. I have chin-length hair (or shoulder length sometimes) and I used to have super long hair so it's kind of a pain to get through the hair to the scalp.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=408.msg23255#msg23255 date=1292667291]
                      That's exactly what happens to me. I have to force myself to lower the temp when I get to the hair washing part. When I do go hot, I get it directly on the middle of my scalp where my part usually is.
                      [/quote]

LOL....you were actually the one who pointed that out to me two winters ago! I was getting horrible dandruff, almost like a rash, and asked for help.

Gosh...I can't believe I've been on this forum that long, sometimes.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I know that stress can be a big trigger for Dandruff too, i had it really badly a couple of years ago when i was having a hard time at work, once i left that place and managed to relax a bit it cleared up. I know you are going through a stressfull time at the moment as well, so i am wondering if this could be the trigger...

M
                        In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

You could try something that has seaweed/kelp in it, That's what i use, clears it up great
                          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=408.msg23270#msg23270 date=1292676995]
                            I'm with everyone else in that you have to know what causes it. I'm still not sure with mine, but fungal shampoos don't work and neither do mild, natural products so I've ruled out fungus or sensitive skin.

For me, it works for a couple of weeks if I use olive oil. I heat up the oil (usually mixed with essential oils like rose and lavender because they soothe the scalp and also then my head doesn't smell like Italian food) and I use a comb to make parts and apply the oil along the parts and then massage it into the scalp and leave it overnight. It takes about 2 shampoos to get the oil out, but luckily I have SUPER dry hair anyway so it doesn't really make it too greasy after that.
                            I also exfoliate my scalp regularly by brushing it with a knobby bristle brush before I wash my hair. and I bathe rather than shower because a) it helps my other dry skin, and b) since you're soaking it it loosens the skin more and gets it out better than showering.

Since you shave your head it might be easier. I have chin-length hair (or shoulder length sometimes) and I used to have super long hair so it's kind of a pain to get through the hair to the scalp.
                            [/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Lavender and rose are two of my favorites so I'll have to give that a try and see if it helps. And yeah, having no hair definitely helps. lol

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=408.msg23322#msg23322 date=1292696593]
                            I know that stress can be a big trigger for Dandruff too, i had it really badly a couple of years ago when i was having a hard time at work, once i left that place and managed to relax a bit it cleared up. I know you are going through a stressfull time at the moment as well, so i am wondering if this could be the trigger...

M
                            [/quote]

I've come a long way in terms of stress. When I did have hair I found that when I was really stressed out it actually made my hair fall out. I'm a much calmer person today, though.

[quote author=Amelia-Mary link=topic=408.msg23339#msg23339 date=1292698625]
                            You could try something that has seaweed/kelp in it, That's what i use, clears it up great
                            [/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=408.msg23283#msg23283 date=1292683603]
                              LOL....you were actually the one who pointed that out to me two winters ago! I was getting horrible dandruff, almost like a rash, and asked for help.

Gosh...I can't believe I've been on this forum that long, sometimes.
                              [/quote]
                              We're old.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X