This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anderson tradition (Feri / Faery)

Any representatives from the Anderson tradition on this board?
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: Anderson tradition (Feri / Faery)

I don't know about now, but when I asked this 2 years ago, there wasn't. It seems that Victor has influenced quite a few authors from the States so I was quite curious about him for a while. This was probably my last phase before I'd had enough and gave up on Paganism. I think I was just starting to challenge long held beliefs and it was too overwhelming. The break has allowed me to ALMOST start with a blank slate. There are some things I doubt I'll ever shake off so I'll always be 'witch with Wiccan tendancies'.

My point? Ah yes, well.. I studied the Anderson paths a little, or what is publicly available anyway. I mentioned Francesca De Grandis in another thread recently and that got me thinking about her again. Grandis is a student of Anderson's and has developed her own branch of Feri that she calls 'The Third Road'. She didn't sit well with me at all last time I read her work. She seemed a bit arrogant, had a tone that reminded me of Ravenwolf and I took offence to her describing what she did as Wicca (I'm not proud of how closed-minded I was, but I've grown out of that and I couldn't care less about labels these days).

Now though, I am starting on a new path, or at least a new leg of my journey, with new patron deities. These deities are Brythonic so I'm trying to investigate anything claiming to be celtic. I therefore decided to read De Grandis again with a fresh outlook. This time, although her version of history is questionable and I still find her irritating, I cannot deny that some of the rites she suggests have been really touching and/or mind blowingly powerful, and I am very interested in her leanings towards shamanism. She claims that Wicca IS a form of shamanism, although I am not sure I can agree on that one.

If you are interested to explore Anderson Feri Traditions, you might want to give her a read.

One problem with her is that she tends to assume she is speaking to females about female problems so that at times, it reads more like a self-help guide. She remembers her male audience now and then though. For an accessible starting point, she's interesting.

The books I have are 'Be a Goddess' and 'Goddess Initiations'. Despite the names, God is in there too. Hopefully you can find them cheap or free because I'd hate you to spend money on them only to decide they're potty water.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I haven't read her too much. I've read Valerie Walker's site, Storm Faerywolf's site, and I've got one of Thorn's books on hold for me at the library as soon as they get a copy turned back in.

I'm not even sure why I'm attracted to this path. For some reason, the god-form structure clicks with me, although I'd slightly change the Origins Theology in my personal practice were I to assume the Anderson tradition.

Also, I had no idea that there was a big schism within the community until I just happened to re-read the Wiki article (someone added it to the very bottom). I spent the next three days or so investigating and reading both sides (which both have valid points of view).

What sucks is that it's one of the few traditions that I'd really be willing to investigate off-line but there aren't any teachers around anywhere. I live near Atlanta and almost all of them are on the West Coast. Meh.
      What I'd like to see,
      Is the I that knows me,

Comment

Yeah, this was my issue too. There is no sign of this tradition in the UK either. I was also a little bothered that one must pay to receive training in Feri. This is more or less unheard of in wiccan traditions here. Spirituality shouldn't only be for the wealthy. I guess because it is often taught 1-1, some of these teachers have many students so do this as a job, in which case I can kind of understand. I think I remember seeing corrispondance courses, all of which were priced in 3 digits. You would have to be quite sure this is what you wanted to do, before parting with your money.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          Yeah, this was my issue too. There is no sign of this tradition in the UK either. I was also a little bothered that one must pay to receive training in Feri. This is more or less unheard of in wiccan traditions here. Spirituality shouldn't only be for the wealthy. I guess because it is often taught 1-1, some of these teachers have many students so do this as a job, in which case I can kind of understand. I think I remember seeing corrispondance courses, all of which were priced in 3 digits. You would have to be quite sure this is what you wanted to do, before parting with your money.
          Well, that's part of the whole schism. The trads (Faery) state that one should never charge anyone for initiation and that the teachings aren't to be public. The moderns (Feri) state that what they're teaching isn't quite exactly the tradition itself and they explicitly state that their teachings will not lead to initiation.
          What I'd like to see,
          Is the I that knows me,

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
            Well, that's part of the whole schism. The trads (Faery) state that one should never charge anyone for initiation and that the teachings aren't to be public. The moderns (Feri) state that what they're teaching isn't quite exactly the tradition itself and they explicitly state that their teachings will not lead to initiation.
            Aha! That explains a lot. I didn't realise Feri and Faery were different. It's a shame Faery never really spread. I guess they are just too selective about who they initiate.

Comment

Working...
            X