Spiritual texts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual texts?

Something that has had me confused lately is the topic of a spiritual text in paganism. In all the other religions i have studied there was a text i could turn to when i i felt like i needed to be uplifted spiritually, whether it was the dhammapada, gita, or just a spiritual book from a writer. However, i do not feel truly connected with such texts anymore, so im left with a feeling of emptiness now that i have progressed towards neopagan beliefs, and there not being any standard spiritual texts for it to my knowledge. So my question is, do you have any recommendations on things i could read to fill in this gap i feel?

Re: Spiritual texts?

Pick a culture from ancient history...then and start with its poetry, mythology, etc...if you are looking towards a specific god or pantheon. Otherwise, the only think that makes something a spiritual text is your perception of it. IMO, the best thing to do is go outside and open yourself to the dance of life.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

That's a gorgeous poem!

One of the awesome things about Paganism is that inspiration can come from anywhere. It's not limited to just that one text. Yes, this can be frustrating in the beginning. I think everyone has been there. I know I have. But if you start to open yourself up, you'll begin to find sparks in the strangest places. Sometimes a song you listen to will say just what you need to hear. Or you'll stumble onto a poem or story or maybe even a tree that has a deep meaning for you.

If you're stuck, looking for mythology is a good way to start. There are so many stories out there that you're bound to find something that clicks. Browsing the religion section at your public library may also bring some good results. Just start looking, and you'll find what you need.

Comment

It's not "spiritual" in the truest sense, but there's some wisdom literature I link to in the Kemetic board. I'll see if I can dig them up again.

ADD: http://egypt.thetao.info/amenemope.htm

The Instructions of Amenemope

The Instruction of Good Discourse (The Instruction of Ptah-hotep)
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

I've found that my automatic writing/automatic answer stuff works well. You just chill out and sit for awhile and write whatever you hear/comes to mind about the subject. It's a really amazing feeling and i've even written words and phrases that i previously didn't know, which is pretty crazy.
          "The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame."
          -The table at the cafe

Comment

When I need some spiritual uplifting I pick up my pocket zen quotes and skip to a random page, or I rifle through my notes on religion. As far as "pagan" texts??? There's like 2million versions of paganism and most of them have no text. Most of the actual "texts" that I've seen are old pagan texts like the Norse and other mythologies, the Illiad, Oddesy, etc, and stuff like the Book of the Dead for the Egyptian pantheons. There are very few generic neo-pagan texts other than what you find in the store books. These are just my thoughts on the general community, so please don't take this too personally, not that anything in there should offend/surprise anyone.

Comment

Geckgo, I wouldn't consider the Book of the Dead a spiritual text in the sense of what she's asking.
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

For me, my inspirational text has to be my Book(s) of Shadows. Sometimes I'll just sit and enjoy holding them in my hands as I flick through. Everything written there felt 'true' at one time or another and although my beliefs are evolving, I can still find inspiration in entries recorded many years ago. When I feel down or hopeless, I find a lot of comfort in reading my BOS.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I just thought of a book that the OP may want: The Pagan Book of Living and Dying. I think it's right up this alley.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

the corpus hermeticum i'm just finding out is pretty neat too.
                    "The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame."
                    -The table at the cafe

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
                      the corpus hermeticum i'm just finding out is pretty neat too.
                      Then you might find the Alchemy discussion in the Pagan Traditions section interesting.

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...eck-is-Alchemy

And the Ye Olde Book Club, here, if we ever manage to get back to it.

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...hy-and-Alchemy
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The handy, dandy Tao Te Ching.

Comment

Originally posted by marykabroiwn
                          Yes it can come from anywhere
                          What/who are you responding to? Did you even READ any of this thread??

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

That is very interesting. Can you please share few phrases?
                            In a word, no. Now put that in your voice transcription and smoke it.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

That is very interesting. Can you please share few phrases?

polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

Filler Text
                              Last edited by MaskedOne; 28 Mar 2012, 05:27.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X